HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:49 PM

The mall is not an outreach centre.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
All will be right in the world once more now that the bums are back on the streets.
Look. I don't care where they are - in the mall, on the street, at a bus stop. It doesn't matter.

What DOES matter is that they recognize that there is an expectation that they don't drink in public, don't defecate/urinate outside of toilets, don't bother random people for money, don't wander randomly into traffic, don't spit all over the sidewalks, and don't litter. Is asking people to follow these basic rules and having some reinforcement too much to ask? Right now they have free reign.

Yes, there is poverty. Yes, there is homelessness. Yes, there are addiction and mental health issues. Yes, vulnerable people require better help. Nobody is disputing any of that. However, everybody is capable of making their own decisions, and there are very few people who do not make make better decisions when taken to task.

Turning a blind eye to all of the bylaws that many people in central neighborhoods break on a minute-to-minute basis does not benefit them and it does not help our city be a better place. In fact, I think that trying to solve social problems while ignoring the bylaws and social decorum that these people are choosing to break is far less effective than asking (demanding) them to behave and act more like the rest of society while they are in public. If we can help teach them how to act like normal people, maybe everyone will treat them like normal people instead of pests.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
The mall is not an outreach centre.
Indeed, and it is private property.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 6:11 PM

Everyone can argue and debate the various issues but what is comes down to is basic respect for the law and other people. We should not have to legislate common sense but that appears to be what is required.

There should be a zero tolerance policy for this type of behaviour because by not doing anything creates an environment of acceptance. Give someone an inch and they take a mile.

New York had a serious crime problem back a number of years ago but started an agressive zero tolerance poilicy starting with simple things like littering and jay walking. It did work and crime has been reduced there.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 6:24 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
^ And I assume most of the people posting in this thread will dust off their hands, satisfied that someone else has taken care of their problems for them and thus need not take any responsibility or have to concern themselves with the lives of less fortunate strangers in their midst, nor even remotely need to understand their situations. All will be right in the world once more now that the bums are back on the streets.
I know many 'less fortunate' people who are hardworking, considerate, respectful people.

Sadly, anything I want to say on this topic is best kept not said.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 6:28 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

I think I'm just going to give up on this topic, particularly given the inability in several commenters' minds to separate the people actually causing problems and the ones who aren't, since apparently we can't talk about one without talking about the other. I guess "those people" all look the same in their eyes.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Vinesh Pratap from Global has been following either SSP or C2E with regards to crime, vandalism, disorder posts and has requested an interview with DECL.
http://globalnews.ca/video/1880296/e...-downtown-boom

No DECLers in the piece but a couple of other familiar faces.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:49 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
http://globalnews.ca/video/1880296/e...-downtown-boom

No DECLers in the piece but a couple of other familiar faces.
We were asked, timing didn't work.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 9:13 PM
HVAC guru

According to the Journal, council has approved 89 new officers, including 40 for downtown, as new statistics show a 22% increase in violent crime downtown over the same period last year

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 9:48 PM

They're also implementing a sleeping ban at the Milner starting next month.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 9:56 PM
Community Guy

^a positive step to a complicated reality.

^^Good to see for we need more police in the Downtown and central Edmonton for that matter.

22% increase in violent is not positive, but overall rates are falling per capita.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 12:10 AM
HVAC guru

^ moving the north central areas to the new Northwest division has been a major positive move, downtown div can focus on the areas 111th ave south, and NW has a better handle on the Alberta Ave/ Spruce Avenue areas. Police and residents in that area have noted a significant decrease in crime, and the downtown will get some more resources to deal with the issues they're having there

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 5:15 PM

I understand how people have concerns about City Centre Mall, but I don't know if they really affect me, personally. I'm not sure why that is. I like going to that mall. I'd much rather go there than to a suburban mall.

I think a large bit of the problem, is that the development group who owns the mall is based in Ontario, if I'm correct, where no doubt the majority of their properties dwell, too. If they own 10 malls in southern Ontario, that's your priority, not your one mall in yeg.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 11:27 PM
GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammeredtoast View Post
I understand how people have concerns about City Centre Mall, but I don't know if they really affect me, personally. I'm not sure why that is. I like going to that mall. I'd much rather go there than to a suburban mall.

I think a large bit of the problem, is that the development group who owns the mall is based in Ontario, if I'm correct, where no doubt the majority of their properties dwell, too. If they own 10 malls in southern Ontario, that's your priority, not your one mall in yeg.
Correct that Oxford is based in Ontario, but completely off on the rest of your statement.

www.oxfordproperties.com

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:03 AM
Community Guy

Exactly.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:03 PM
HVAC guru

Quieter downtown since the warmer weather has hit. Everyone's migrated down Belamy and have set up camps for the summer

Walked through LMP west last weekend. Disgusting

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:12 PM

^Encourage people to report camps that require cleanup to 311.

Also, River Valley Clean-Up is Sunday, May 3 at 10am starting at Walterdale Park:
http://www.edmonton.ca/programs_serv...-clean-up.aspx

DECL Spring Clean-Up is the same morning, meet at DECL at 10am. We focus on the areas around McKay Avenue School, Bellamy Hill, 105 Street Hill and down towards 97 Avenue.
https://www.facebook.com/events/359748500886903/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:58 PM
HVAC guru

Look for a "good news" story related to the incident at ECC on the CBC news coming up shortly

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 8:24 PM
Community Guy

Elder in residence?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 9:48 PM
HVAC guru

Stay tuned

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton