HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 4:14 AM

The Fringe

So Fringe 2011 begins...but...

Unless you're watching the local news or reading the local paper, you'd have no idea that the Fringe is even starting. I see no national media coverage even though it's the largest Fringe fest in North America. No hits on Google News save for the local media.

Outside of Old Strathcona, there's no indication of its existence here. I keep seeing that April Coughlin chick on the telly promoting Calgary and Banff...is Fringe advertising even being done in the province?

I don't feel the anticipation of it amongst the populace anymore, unlike in years past. People here or on C2E barely post about it anymore.

Why, Edmonton? Are you finding the Fringe a tad stale? Or are you too obsessed with mosquitoes, murder counts and potholes to really give a shit?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 5:43 AM

Good points.

But, the Fringe is up every year despite how many murders we have or how many potholes we have to drive over...which is very few these days. Mosquitoes were an anonymity for 2 weeks this summer. But I understand you're frustration. But the fringe is very very successful this year and has grown every year.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 12:35 PM
DRINK

went last year for the first time....meh. Not really into plays and all the street performers are for the most part irritating.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 4:58 PM
HVAC guru

I had a fun enough time wanering around last year but I doubt I would go back, for the reasons SHO stated

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 5:05 PM

Not interested in the shows and the street performers are meh like was said.
I may go just to be outside but that's about it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 5:50 PM

After intending on doing it for quite a few years I actually made it to quite a few shows last year and had a really good time, ended up going to about 14 and have at least 12 on the list for this year.
I would agree about the street performers though...I noticed they seemed to be super agressive towards people and uncomfortably rude at times.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 6:02 AM

I keep seeing the same street performers every year at the fringe. I have no interest in watching an old fart do push-ups, or seeing an uncreative street artist make space paintings for the billionth time.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 11:13 PM

I visited the Fringe this afternoon, but sadly didn't get a chance to check out any shows. Maybe I'll buy advance tix for next weekend.

So yeah, maybe the street carny is getting long in the tooth and is turning into a poor man's Capital Ex. The street performers can be irritating. The food vendors are virtually the same every year too. The dirt path north of the TransAlta Barn should be paved lest a rain storm turns it into mud.

But ya know what? It was crazy-busy full of people enjoying it. Moreover, it brings legions of people to Whyte Ave. Hell, I'm actually seeing life east of the tracks for once.

Attendance is very strong from all reports. But it would be sad if it takes some Hangover actor to bring national media attention to the largest Fringe festival on the continent.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 1:44 AM
Urbis Maximus

^I believe Mike Myers attended one a number of years ago. But then again, if it takes a well-known actor to promote this event to others, then why not. Free advertising.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Fringe tickets sales up 20% from 2011
ALLISON SALZ, EDMONTON SUN
SUNDAY, AUGUST 14, 2011

Organizers say the 30th year of the Edmonton Fringe Festival is on pace to be the best ever.

Executive director Julian Mayne said ticket sales are up 20% from this time last year, which proved to be a record-setting year for the festival.

“It’s all going very well, there have been minimal concerns. The weather has been great, the sales have been great, I hope it continues.”

Mayne confirmed that ‘Hangover’ actor Zach Galifianakis has been spotted at the festival, first at the beer tent then at a show.

“Isn’t it fun that he would come up to the Fringe,” he said. “But Edmonton is known for its improv work. Nathan Fillion got his beginnings here.”

Fillion, born and raised in Edmonton, was big on the city’s improv scene before heading for Hollywood, he currently stars on the TV series Castle.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/08/1...p-20-from-2011

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
^I believe Mike Myers attended one a number of years ago. But then again, if it takes a well-known actor to promote this event to others, then why not. Free advertising.
Myers did a guest stint with Die-Nasty a few years ago, but can't recall if it was during the Fringe.
Oprah promoted the Fringe on her show a while back if I'm not mistaken.

Nevertheless...if the biggest Fringe fest in North America was in Toronto, I bet the nation wouldn't hear the end of it. Just sayin'.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 7:05 PM
Chuggernaught

I attended the beer garden, then the Gravitron. It turned out better than I expected.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 6:08 PM

Was off work yesterday so I stopped by the Fringe grounds for the first time in ages, but just long enough for a walkabout. It was very busy even on a work day, so I can imagine how insane it is on evenings and weekends. The quasi-carnival atmosphere is always charming with all the street performers, food, beer tents, and booths selling cheap jewelry and such. The other nice thing about the Fringe is how it always adds even more life to Whyte Ave c/w busy patios and full coffee and restaurants - good luck finding a table at El Cortez or Next Act!

No plays yet - there were long lineups at most venues and none of the plays scheduled at the time I was there interested me. I'll try to check out a couple of shows this weekend if I make it back there and have a better game plan in place. More recommendations would be appreciated, especially the dark humor.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 9:13 PM

Took the streetcar to the Fringe last weekend, such a fun time! Was my second time in three years attending, not much difference, but a good time nonetheless.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton