HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:47 PM

Cool Austin | The Quincy (93 Red River) | 369 Feet | 30 Floors | Complete

This would be the reason for the soil testing that Geckos_Rule posted about in the Waller Park Place thread that turned out to be for Endeavor's 91-93 Red River site. According to yesterday's AULCC meeting notes, this is a 30-story residential project with retail. Here's the location on Streetview:

Here's the site location from AULCC:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ofts_PLANS.pdf

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jul 30, 2021 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:23 PM

If anyone wants my picks for lotto numbers, just let me know

In all seriousness, i'm excited to see what the plan is for this spot

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:22 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Gonna take away the views from the Container Bar...

But who needs views when you can look up and see highrises.

Heres a legitimate question though. What is the city's plan for managing traffic in that section of DT? Not just talking about this new project but all the additions coming to the Rainey Street District. The existing streets where not meant for high traffic volume and you can already see how clogged it can get on any typical late weeknight or weekend night.

I really think the alleys should be utilized for pedestrian traffic. All of the businesses along Rainey could easily create a back entrance. The alleys could be redone with brick or stonework and well lit, in other words they stop being alleyways and become more like what you see in European cities. I don't know how many times I've seen cars going down Rainey and then someone or some people suddenly dart into the street in front of them. I'm thankful but suprised there hasn't been a more serious accident. Granted the cars are moving at 20mph or less but still, it causes traffic flow to clog.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Heres a legitimate question though. What is the city's plan for managing traffic in that section of DT?
what about banning cars that are not residents?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-centre-france

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
what about banning cars that are not residents?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-centre-france
This. Let's not plan this area around cars. The city should look into making this area as accessible by public transit as possible.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This would be the reason for the soil testing that Geckos_Rule posted about in the Waller Park Place thread that turned out to be for Endeavor's 91-93 Red River site. According to yesterday's AULCC meeting notes, this is a 30-story residential project with retail. Here's the location on Streetview:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ofts_PLANS.pdf
The elevations for the building are on pages 32 and 33 of those PDF plans. The penthouse level is 344' according to the elevations. Also the name of the project (according to the plans) is Town Lake Lofts.

Edited to add: There is another thread already for Town Lake Lofts and Kevin posted the elevations there.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:41 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
The elevations for the building are on pages 32 and 33 of those PDF plans. The penthouse level is 344' according to the elevations. Also the name of the project (according to the plans) is Town Lake Lofts.

Edited to add: There is another thread already for Town Lake Lofts and Kevin posted the elevations there.
Guys, these are two different projects. This is a new one we haven't heard of yet. I saw that AULCC pdf posted yesterday, but I couldn't tell if it was a high rise so I didn't post it. TheATX, where did you read that it'll be a 30-story mixed use tower?

The "Red River Development" is at 91-93 Red River Street at Red River and Davis Street - north of the Hotel Van Zandt.

Town Lake Lofts is at 16 North IH-35 - between East Avenue and IH-35 - south of the Holiday Inn.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:49 PM
Meh

And agreed on the cars issue in that area. One of the stark differences between the Rainey Street area and say, around where the central library and Independent are is the traffic. Even with the area around The Independent turning into the most dense area of downtown, the traffic over there is almost non-existent. When Jdawgboy, theGenral and I were walking around there last week, I was snapping pics in the middle of 2nd Street and only one car came by. The difference is most of the uses in the area around the Independent are residential, and most of those residents walk or bike to locations in downtown. The Rainey Street area, while it does have residential, still has a lot of bars that attract a lot of people to that area from outside of downtown from areas that at are more car dependent. Those people are driving in Rainey Street to hit the bars and it's creating way more traffic there than there should be.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
And agreed on the cars issue in that area. One of the stark differences between the Rainey Street area and say, around where the central library and Independent are is the traffic. Even with the area around The Independent turning into the most dense area of downtown, the traffic over there is almost non-existent. When Jdawgboy, theGenral and I were walking around there last week, I was snapping pics in the middle of 2nd Street and only one car came by. The difference is most of the uses in the area around the Independent are residential, and most of those residents walk or bike to locations in downtown. The Rainey Street area, while it does have residential, still has a lot of bars that attract a lot of people to that area from outside of downtown from areas that at are more car dependent. Those people are driving in Rainey Street to hit the bars and it's creating way more traffic there than there should be.
People shouldn't be driving to the bar.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Guys, these are two different projects. This is a new one we haven't heard of yet. I saw that AULCC pdf posted yesterday, but I couldn't tell if it was a high rise so I didn't post it. TheATX, where did you read that it'll be a 30-story mixed use tower?
The meeting notes on the spreadsheet often have more info than the PDF. This is from the spreadsheet:

Quote:
The proposed project consists of the construction of one (1) 30 story mixed use building with associated parking and utility improvements. The building will have retail and multifamily uses.
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2018/180222/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:59 PM
Meh

Ok, thanks. I forgot about the spreadsheets.

This one should have similar views down the river as 70 Rainey does depending on the height. 30 floors is pretty tall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 12:43 AM

The AULCC meeting notes usually have the estimated construction start date. For this one it shows that the start of construction is between 7/30/2019 and 7/30/2020. Original start dates usually get pushed out past the planned start, so this probably won't be breaking ground any time soon.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Honestly (and this is speaking as a Rainey St. resident) I think the difference is that really the main attraction to the area is the bars, and nothing else. There are restaurants, sure, but not much else. Whereas the independant/seaholm area has the library, shopping, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. So people in that area can kind of migrate from other areas of downtown, whereas rainey street right now is sort of a one-purpose destination, that brings people from all over austin to drive and park...

But I did wonder about traffic control here. Even without anything at Waller Park Place built, it's becoming a pretty big issue around the area at night. I don't usually mind it, but at 10:00 on a saturday it can take me an extra 5 minutes just to get the last 1/4 mile home. And with more buildings, it's going to be an even bigger issue with ubers/taxis/buses coming into the area and stopping in the middle of the road (since everything only has one lane for the most part). I've wondered that especially with the big limos and buses coming into the Hotel Van Zandt. If WPP ever gets developed like the plans were, there's no way a couple buses can just hang out and park for 3 hours in the street like they do now. But I have no earthly idea where they could go, unless that alley street west of rainey were totally re-vamped...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 1:13 PM

Here's a photo of the core sampling last week via #atxrising (and a Shore resident).

https://twitter.com/hashtag/atxrisin...twgr%5Ehashtag

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:48 PM

The site plan was filed today. But there's no new info yet.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...pertyrsn=93290

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:27 PM

More info was added to the site plan today:

29 above ground floors:

1 - retail (~12.8K restaurant)
7 - parking
3 - office (~81K sq. ft.)
18 -residential

There is one additional underground level that I assume is parking. It's not clear if the residential is condo or apartments. At one place it says there are 328 condo units and another states that the 18 residential floors are apartments. It's possible that the floor counts listed could include the underground level which means the 29th level could be mechanical.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...4tAd%2BQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 1:02 AM

Towers' sums up what we know so far:

https://austin.towers.net/29-story-m...t-near-rainey/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 1:53 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Towers' sums up what we know so far:

https://austin.towers.net/29-story-m...t-near-rainey/
Lol love the caption below the massing picture. A green translucent building might look pretty cool and would fit well with Austin's weird culture.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 11:01 PM

I was spending way too much time looking at the site plan filing and found this design requirement for roof tops (#2 on the list) for buildings in the Waterfront Overly. I didn't know the city had such a requirement. I am not usually a fan of design policing which amounts to someone's opinion being enforced on someone else. But I like this one and would be happy to see it for all of downtown to eliminate boring flat roof designs.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...pertyrsn=93290

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 7:59 PM
Meh

The site plan was posted to the AULCC's website. The building elevations are in color, and also if you scroll down to the last pages of the site plan there's a couple more images of it.

The elevations show some signage calling it "Red River Tower".

354 feet 4 inches - mechanical penthouse roof

332 feet 4 inches - main roof parapet

326 feet 4 inches - main roof slab

315 feet - 29th floor

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...nt_PLAN_02.pdf

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin