HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 5:06 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I was talking about the frontpage.
The front page is just a directory to the other areas of the site. That's why the whole thing is just links to the rodeo events, tickets, the Facebook page, etc.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 7:01 PM

Quote:
I thought that was a bit strange too. The website is the same way; the only indication on the front page is a hashtag at the very bottom saying #gaycowboy.
Interesting.. I use to go to ARGRA's gay rodeo when I first came out back during its time in Symons Valley Ranch just north of Calgary just before it moved to Strathmore in 2009, I haven't been since but it looks like the event has turned a corner..
Due to the fact the poster has intentionally avoided any obvious identity indicators of it being a 'gay rodeo', I'd say 'The Canadian Rockies International Music and Rodeo Festival' isn't as gay as it use to be and has shunned it's past identity & is more main stream, since the move to Strathmore. Hope there's no problems of mis-informed people going and taking issue with some of the event goer's, Will same sex public kissing or even holding hands now be frowned upon now? I truly have no idea, I haven't been in several years, & not too enticed to go now..

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Why does it need to be outwardly flamboyant? I don't understand.
It doesn't have to be flamboyant but stating it"s a gay rodeo would be a start on the official poster

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 3:07 AM
ARTchitecture

To be fair, they did just load this new format to the website about a month ago, I'm sure there are still kinks being worked out(such as the text colouring which I thought was the worst issue). I don't know if anyone on the ARGRA board even noticed it or thinks it's a problem that they don't have "It's a Gay Rodeo" on the front page, it's just something people know. I certainly wouldn't say they've shunned their past identity. Anyone who talks about it, including friends of mine on the board, still refer to it as "the gay rodeo" and that's how the population of Strathmore seems to know it too. Everyone who goes knows what it is through advertisement and word of mouth, it's an event created by gays as an alternative to the mainstream rodeo scene 25 years ago and is the biggest gay rodeo association left in the world.

Why on Earth would same sex kissing, holding hands, or anything of the sort become frowned upon just because we've reached a point in history that things are now able to be integrated? Out of the thousands of people who come to rodeo, there has always been hundreds of straight people alongside us. Hell, the rodeo grounds are attached to a family campground. It's just something they neglected to put on the front page of their site, that's pretty much it, it's not something that needs to be over-analysed. I'm one of the bar tenders there and the straight men don't mind if I serve them drinks shirtless, they know where they are and they're there for a reason

Here are a couple of articles that talk about the rodeo and it's history...

Long in the shadows, Strathmore’s gay rodeo bringing pride to rural Alberta
GRACE SCOTT | CALGARY HERALD | 06.24.2014

Quote:
In the picturesque prairie fields outside of Strathmore, the Canadian Rockies International Rodeo and Music Festival offers all the western ambiance one would expect from an authentic rodeo, complete with cowboys, country music, hay bales and horses. As Canada’s largest gay rodeo however, this event is western with a twist, including female competitors in all its events and a highly entertaining competition called the Wild Drag Race.

Running June 27 to 29, the Canadian Rockies International is one of Alberta’s lesser known treasures and a huge draw for the rural LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and questioning) community. “As soon as you walk on site, I don’t want to say you’re in a bubble of rainbows and unicorns, but you sort of are in the sense of being able to be yourself,” says Jason Baker, president of the Alberta Rockies Gay Rodeo Association, which has been hosting the rodeo since 1993.

Initially a small, secluded event, the rodeo has grown to be one of the largest gay rodeos in the North American circuit, expecting more than 4,000 people to pass through the grounds this year. In a province known for its social conservatism, the rodeo’s expanding public face reflects how far Alberta has come in its acceptance and support of the LGBTQ community. “My first rodeo was in 2001 and there were people announcing, ‘Please don’t take pictures of this competitor,’” Baker says. “People wouldn’t use their real names. If you had a camera, then there would be people that would actually walk up to you and say, ‘You can’t take pictures.’”

Now publicly advertised and corporately sponsored, Baker sees the rodeo as a huge chance to reach out and give back to Alberta’s gay community by creating a safe space of inclusion. While the social climate for gays and lesbians has improved, coming out can still be a hard experience no matter where you’re from. “Let’s be honest, it’s those kids that are out in the farms and out in those small towns that don’t have the access (to support),” he says. “Those are the ones that are killing themselves or hurting themselves, and that just breaks our hearts, because we look at them and we see us.”
Full story: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...057/story.html

'We’ve got Bud Light as a sponsor': Canada's once-secretive gay rodeo shows signs of change in cattle country
Jen Gerson | The National Post | June 29, 2014

Quote:

Mr. Baker said he grew up in Hannah, Alta. Population 2,500. In the days before the Internet, he felt he was the only gay kid in the world.

“Throughout the year, we spend time reaching out to kids. That was us. We were stuck there in those small towns,” he said. “It’s scary. It’s really scary, so we try to reach out to them too because it’s those country kids that really need the help … we can say if you like horses, you like rodeo? Well you can still be yourself and still do that, too.”

The proud-and-out culture prevalent in more urban areas is sometimes a bit too much for people accustomed to ranches and small towns. Gay rodeo gives them an opportunity to meet like-minded people that’s a bit sheltered from the over-the-top machismo associated with cowboy culture.

“Rodeo has remained that way,” said Janie Van Santen, a long-time competitor. “It’s a rough-and-tumble sport. There’s a lot of testosterone in it.”

So much, in fact, that women are typically not allowed to compete in any event except barrel racing.

Big ticket items like calf roping, bull riding, and chuckwagon races are confined to men. The gay rodeo is one of the few exceptions: It lets everybody compete in everything, gay or straight. Man or woman.

Full story: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06...attle-country/

Janie and Jason are a couple of friends of mine, so these articles make me really happy

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 4:31 AM
Closed account

It's not a criticism, it just seemed odd to me.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 5:51 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
It's not a criticism, it just seemed odd to me.
To be honest, it rubs me the wrong way too, and I live in Calgary and defend this city all the time. I don't know if US gay rodeos do the same thing.

Another one- gay men's choruses calling themselves anything but gay men's choruses.

Saskscraper, there's open displays of same-sex affection like mad, no worries there.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 7:58 AM
ARTchitecture

Well since everyone but me seems to be in agreement on this issue, I will defer to popular opinion and bring it up with the president and see if there's something that can be done Thanks guys!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
To be honest, it rubs me the wrong way too, and I live in Calgary and defend this city all the time. I don't know if US gay rodeos do the same thing.

Another one- gay men's choruses calling themselves anything but gay men's choruses.

Saskscraper, there's open displays of same-sex affection like mad, no worries there.
thanks for the info Rusty van Reddick, I wasn't sure if since I last attended in the late 2000's if Canadian Rockies International 'Gay' Rodeo had something changed, same sex public displays of affection was common place back in the day then too. I'm not saying that ARGRA sold themselves out by holding the event with LGBT community doing the leg work yet dropping the 'gay' out of the title because of some unknown pressure maybe to cater to the str8 community to become more popular since moving to Strathmore, it just seems suspicious that its poster and also the website for the Canadian Rockies International Music and Rodeo Festival completely over looks showing its gay side until you click on the about tab and read half way down the page. I can imagine Prairie country music/rodeo fans stubbling on the advertising for the event but completely missing its gay over tones. I have gay friends having grown up in Maple Creek, SK that didn't know about the gay rodeo so i'm sure there are a lot more str8 people that don't know about its traditional identity either. If this event evolution keeps everyone happy then its bonus all around..

On a sort of a similar side note. Bearracuda from San Francisco and Heretic club in Atlanta teamed up to hold a bear cruise on Celebrity Cruise Line earlier this month in the Caribbean. About 200 gay men attended the 7day cruise aboard Reflections cruise ship along with regular cruise ship passengers and the integration worked fine, in fact the bears made a big 'splash' on the main pool deck and was often the center of fun for passengers on board. Most passengers didn't seem to understand the concept of gay men referring to themselves as bears and we sometimes were called the 'beard' event group. The interesting thing is that there was another event group on board of a few hundred old school country music fans with featured country music performers on the cruise as well.. who says we can't all just get along & have a good time.

Bearracuda & Heretic along with Pitbull from Toronto are already planning their second annual cruise along Mexican Pacific next Jan/Feb..

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 4:43 AM
ARTchitecture

That is awesome! A couple of my friends just went on the Bearracuda Heretic Cuise too, they had a blast. Did you meet a couple by the names of Daniel and Franco (from Calgary) by any chance?

You should come to the Bearracuda event in Edmonton sometime, it happens every summer. It's a great time. Bearacchus in Calgary is awesome too, every spring. Both events are weekend-long affairs.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 5:44 AM

^^^Sweet! I can't put faces to the names, since I was somewhat inebriated thru most of the cruise, but think I may have briefly met them beginning of the cruise the first night (or second night)..met almost all the guys with Bearracuda/Heretic event.. I mostly ended up spending time with my Vancouver friends, the Atlanta/Florida guys and the DJs in between sets at the parties.. (inside joke, ask Daniel & Franco if they used their bumper brite from gift package yet..lol..)

I love Bearacudda parties at 560 in Vancouver & it's one of my favourite events when I'm there! i've only been to their other parties in Cali, AZ and Austin, I haven't been to any of the other Bearacudda parties in Canada tho. I've never been to Bearacchus in Calgary, but usually come for Apollo/Western Cup each Easter weekend with friends. I'm planning a west coast road trip with friends in July so not sure if be able to make it to Edmo for any parties this summer :/

Last edited by SaskScraper; Feb 24, 2015 at 5:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:44 PM

This is a couple of months late, but long-time partners Anthony Bidulka and Herb McFaull were co-named as the Saskatoon Citizens of the Year for 2014.

Together, they spearheaded the establishment of the Saskatchewan variant of Camp fYrefly in 2009, an annual camp for LGBTQ youth in Saskatchewan, often drawn from remote and rural areas of the province. Bidulka is the author of the gay detective Russell Quant mystery series. McFaull is a Saskatoon businessman.

A story on their award: Camp founders named citizens of the year

And a story on the camp: Then and now: Growing up gay in Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post

Long in the shadows, Strathmore’s gay rodeo bringing pride to rural Alberta
GRACE SCOTT | CALGARY HERALD | 06.24.2014

Full story: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...057/story.html

'We’ve got Bud Light as a sponsor': Canada's once-secretive gay rodeo shows signs of change in cattle country
Jen Gerson | The National Post | June 29, 2014

Full story: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06...attle-country/

Janie and Jason are a couple of friends of mine, so these articles make me really happy
Wow- I never knew this existed. Def. will have to check it out sometime in my life.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 4:56 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The event tonight was a huge success. And here's to hoping the fact we had to do this shames the provincial government into FULLY funding sexual reassignment surgery.

Right now, for female-to-male trans people, the province will fund breast removal but will NOT fund the cosmetic procedures that turn what's left into a male-looking chest.

Trans men in Newfoundland usually choose not to have the free surgery because then they'd need to have two highly invasive surgeries and the cost isn't that different heading to the mainland just for the sculpting and contouring as it is to get the whole lot done there.

But Dane is raising awareness. And on Open Line, most callers were very supportive of him. And every single caller supported him but those who called in negatively just felt he should pay for it himself as its not "medically necessary".

(I love how you can tell the bay girls from outside the city on the left. They're the sweetest - and the thickest accents. I wish I was straight, lol)

Local Trans Man Creating Awareness, Raising Funds for Top Surgery

Quote:
23-year-old trans man Dane Woodland is sharing his experiences with gender transition online and has started a fundraiser to raise money for top surgery – an important part of his gender confirmation surgery.

Woodland binds his chest every day to flatten his breasts and so be recognized and acknowledged in society as a man. He wants to have his breasts removed – what is commonly referred to as top surgery – in order to present his gender as male.

Woodland explains that binding his chest is part of "passing" in public.
Clip to one of his three interviews on VOCM today:

https://soundcloud.com/vocm/dane-woodland-interview

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 7, 2015 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 5:42 AM

I didn't think any provinces covered sex reassignment surgeries.

It wouldn't be very expensive to do so, as while the procedures themselves are pricy the proportion of people who need them is very small.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 5:45 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Nova Scotia does, I believe. At least, it was announced here that they did. That's what spurned the outrage that we don't.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 1:32 PM

To one extent or another, all provinces except Newfoundland and New Brunswick cover it, I believe. Nova Scotia made the addition in 2013, which is probably what sparked the issue in Newfoundlad.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A local trans woman (the tall girl, centre) won a Women of Distinction Award. She's the one whose case is before the courts to allow her to have her gender marker changed in her birth certificate without having had sexual reassignment surgery.

Congrats, Kyra!

The Telegram

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:56 PM

Alberta Passes Bill 10.
Bill 10’s formal name is: An Act to Amend the Alberta Bill of Rights to Protect Our Children. Here are the key components:

If students want a gay-straight alliance (GSA) in their schools, they will get one. Neither the principal nor the board can stop them.
They can meet on school property — eliminating previous concerns about segregation — and can name the group whatever they want.

Under the Alberta Bill of Rights, Albertans are now protected from discrimination based on orientation, sex, gender identity and gender expression.

Parents have the right to “make informed decisions respecting the education of their children,” but no longer have the right to pull students from classroom discussions about sexual orientation.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:15 PM

^ Woot! Alberta joins Ontario in having such legislation. Any other provinces have it?

How is this working with the separate schools over there? In Ontario the government, despite much opposition from them, forced the Catholic school boards to comply with the legislation.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We do too, yeah. LGBT acceptance training is mandatory for anyone who works in the school system, guidance counsellors were trained first. Working on the rest now. No school can reject or delay a GSA. Trans students have the right to be addressed by whatever identity they prefer except their legal name must be used for records. Schools must provide a gender-neutral washroom option. Etc.

Next phase here is to overhaul the curriculum to normalize LGBT people in all subjects from K-12. Say... "Mary has two apples. If she gives one to her wife, Sarah, how many..." Etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada