HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It's not discrimination, lio, it's etiquette!
Maybe I have a slightly inexact personal definition of etiquette but to me etiquette is never enforced.

If it is, then it's a rule, or a law. Even though originally the reason behind the regulation might very well have been strictly etiquette matters.

Removing a hat in a restaurant is good etiquette.
Removing a hat for a driver's license picture is not etiquette, it's an obligation. (Though it seems it's not impossible to manage to get a pass.)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Maybe I have a slightly inexact personal definition of etiquette but to me etiquette is never enforced.

If it is, then it's a rule, or a law. Even though originally the reason behind the regulation might very well have been strictly etiquette matters.

Removing a hat in a restaurant is good etiquette.
Removing a hat for a driver's license picture is not etiquette, it's an obligation. (Though it seems it's not impossible to manage to get a pass.)
In my ideal world, the rules of etiquette would be self-enforcing, but those days are long gone, if they ever existed.

Anyway, have a look at this Globe and Mail op-ed. The lawyer who wrote it actually raises the hat/driver's licence thing and distinguishes it on the basis that getting a driver's licence is a regulated privilege, not a right.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle23227798/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 5:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I rented a Blu-Ray for my kids and in the language options they had both ''Français'' and ''Français Québécois".

It's not a comedy (which is where you'd be more likely to see this, though usually you don't get the choice - it's just a single version listed as ''Français" regardless.)

It's more of an action film.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I rented a Blu-Ray for my kids and in the language options they had both ''Français'' and ''Français Québécois".

It's not a comedy (which is where you'd be more likely to see this, though usually you don't get the choice - it's just a single version listed as ''Français" regardless.)

It's more of an action film.
I'm surprised. With both Quebec and France having dubbing industries, I would have thought this would be more common. Maybe only if the film has more than average amounts of colloquialisms?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I'm surprised. With both Quebec and France having dubbing industries, I would have thought this would be more common. Maybe only if the film has more than average amounts of colloquialisms?
Not really. I watched part of it and it's basically indistinguishable from stuff that's dubbed for so-called international francophone audiences.

Yes, both places have their industries but they both tend to produce stuff that's palatable for the other's market (and all francophone markets in the world in fact).

Only a tiny portion of stuff gets dubbed in true colloquial Québécois and these tend to be semi-famous and most people here could ring them off: Slap Shot, The Flintstones (past and present), The Simpsons, etc.

The most recent Smurfs films were done in Quebec as well with pop star Marie-Mai doing Smurfette and this was headlined in the ads and trailers, but the actual French spoken in the movie was 99% compatible with the French spoken in France.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:51 PM

Question: Do Quebeckers say "merde" where Anglos would say "Break a leg" (theatre) or "merde" (ballet)?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Question: Do Quebeckers say "merde" where Anglos would say "Break a leg" (theatre) or "merde" (ballet)?
Yes, it's said for any type of stage show. My kids have been involved in the performing arts so we've been hearing it for years. It's even totally appropriate to say it to 5-year-old kiddies even though ''merde'' literally means ''shit'' as you know.

I never knew anglos said ''merde'' (for ballet or anything else). At least not North American anglos. Maybe the British...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:08 PM

[QUOTE=Acajack;6935852]Yes, it's said for any type of stage show. My kids have been involved in the performing arts so we've been hearing it for years. It's even totally appropriate to say it to 5-year-old kiddies even though ''merde'' literally means ''shit'' as you know.

I never knew anglos said ''merde'' (for ballet or anything else). At least not North American anglos. Maybe the British...[/QUOTE]

It's universal in the ballet world. In theatre, it's "break a leg". I don't know what musicians say.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 7:12 AM
Hmm....

A little cheesy... But an entertaining video about Saskatchewan slang done as a sort of advertisement for a Saskatoon-based research company... "Come to us... We understand the people here".

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:38 PM

To me, the most distinctive feature of Saskatchewan English is the habit of dropping the final "g" in every gerund! I'm goin' to stop there.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 3:59 PM
video et taceo

maritimers do that too. my sister starts dropping them every time she gets on a plane to nova scotia. she's fine in toronto.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 2:14 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

An actor from Australia asked us to record voice samples for him as he's preparing for a movie role in which he plays a guy from St. John's.

A couple of responses were interesting to me, in the spoiler below.

Most relevant one, RE: your convo... we don't drop the G, generally. "Nothing" here is almost always "nudding" as opposed to "nuddin'" or "nothin'". Especially in St. John's. I'm sure there are regions and instances on the island where the G is dropped, though.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 2:49 AM

"Strah-burr-ees", "ras-burr-ees", and "bloo-burr-ees" or "strah-bear-ees", ras-bear-ees", and bloo-bear-ees". Or do you jump around? Please discuss.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 2:51 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Bear for straw/blue; burr for rasp. Great Q.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 4:35 AM

Talked to a black guy outside my building today. Thought he was American from his accent. Turns out he's from Halifax, born and raised. For you Haligonians out there, I know Halifax has a bit of a different history regarding black people, with many slaves arriving there from America. Did African American Vernacular stick around through the years?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 4:40 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
"Strah-burr-ees", "ras-burr-ees", and "bloo-burr-ees" or "strah-bear-ees", ras-bear-ees", and bloo-bear-ees". Or do you jump around? Please discuss.
Strawberry = STRAW-bear-ee
Raspberry = RASP-burr-ee
Blueberry = BLOO-bear-ee
Gooseberry = GOOS-bear-ee
Blackberry = BLACK-beh-ree

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 11:44 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

At least one of these is presumbly British (did they really take "stag" from us? I think the other way around is more likely). And a few of them are just nicknames for cities (not exactly slang as I'd hope...) but still interesting enough:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/cylapanin/re...res#.gq9B61P3P

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 12:00 AM

I've never heard of a "stagette".

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 12:08 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I have. Not seen as often as bachelorette party but I've heard it around.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 12:23 AM
I am a typical

We call both of them a "shag" here.

I still can't believe I don't have any photos of the "Shag in honour of _____ & _____" signs we occasionally see around town. :/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada