HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:01 AM

Stantec/Delta pit is huge. My understanding is that they want to start pouring concrete this month!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:02 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
This is a beautiful design even if it is simple. It won't look dated as fast as some earlier office buildings from the 80s and 90's that used more stone then glass in bolder colours. Calgary is hardly a sea of blue or green glass and can easily absorb more with out ending up like Vancouver or parts of Toronto.

Calgary you're lucky to be getting such a classy new complex with some really nice looking glass.
After initially not really liking this design I've come around to it. I'm actually quite excited for it to fill the gap in the middle of the skyline. Also very curious about the crown lighting. I find it odd that they have all these renderings and not one of this supposedly awesome crown lighting.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:06 AM

Could be worse. It could be Trump Toronto lighting feature.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:09 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Could be worse. It could be Trump Toronto lighting feature.
I haven't seen it. Care to post a pic? If it's anything like the rest of that turd I'm sure it's awful.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:19 AM
I am the law!

No one has seen it. It's the standard non functional LED light bar up the corner of the building.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:29 AM

I find most LED lighting "schemes" to be contrived and tacky. Save for a few exceptions like the CN Tower and West Pender Place in Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:33 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
No one has seen it. It's the standard non functional LED light bar up the corner of the building.
Oh. Haha! Like Arriva's half burnt out one in Calgary? I think lighting strips are crap and always seem to fail. Light boxes or projected floodlights are definitely the way to go. If they do one like that for HS I think it will be a win. I seem to remember reading something about a bowl in the crown from Wooster or someone in the know that gets lit up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 9:11 AM
ARTchitecture

The lighting feature of BP Calgary won't be strips of light, it will be in the crown (or "bowl") of the building as I understand it. There is nothing in the renders that would indicate strips at all.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 10:34 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
This is a beautiful design even if it is simple. It won't look dated as fast as some earlier office buildings from the 80s and 90's that used more stone then glass in bolder colours.
So you think because it's glass it will be timeless? Perhaps you're too young to realize but everything goes out of fashion eventually. In 20 years, people will call the current infatuation with glass 'dated'. Not only will it fall out of fashion but all glass facades make little sense in our climate. It's a classic case of trendiness trumping common sense.

Using more stone than glass adds warmth, colour, texture, and solidity to a building. I'd much rather live in a city filled with buildings like that than a sea of glass. Nothing could be more soulless and insipid. At least 80s office buildings have character and style. Most of our glass minimalist boxes are coma inducing.

Scotia Plaza or Bay-Adelaide? It's not even close. Scotia Plaza all the way. I'll give you one thing: Calgary's skyline can withstand a few minimalist glass boxes, Toronto's can not. We should have stopped 50 high rises ago. I can't even look at City Place. When on the ferry I squint so it looks like it's not there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:00 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Oh. Haha! Like Arriva's half burnt out one in Calgary? I think lighting strips are crap and always seem to fail. Light boxes or projected floodlights are definitely the way to go. If they do one like that for HS I think it will be a win. I seem to remember reading something about a bowl in the crown from Wooster or someone in the know that gets lit up.
I'd be curious if the situation is similar to Arriva. What complicates Trump is that the lighting feature is part of the 1% art contribution. The city is pretty pissed that it's not working and both the development company and the condo board are broke. It's not the only malfunctioning LED installation either that counted towards the art contribution.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:05 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I find most LED lighting "schemes" to be contrived and tacky. Save for a few exceptions like the CN Tower and West Pender Place in Vancouver.
Yep. Also, Ryerson's School of Image Arts is not only the most appropriate installation but, the best I've seen in the city and possibly the best in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
So you think because it's glass it will be timeless? Perhaps you're too young to realize but everything goes out of fashion eventually. In 20 years, people will call the current infatuation with glass 'dated'. Not only will it fall out of fashion but all glass facades make little sense in our climate. It's a classic case of trendiness trumping common .

Thanks for putting words in my mouth I didn't say. There are plenty of glass buildings that look as dated as SOME ( like I actually said ) of the stone and reflective window buildings we had built before 2000. Brookfield Place in its current form would look ridiculous had it not been clad in glass. It would be nice to see some more stone structures but we can't expect developers to turn their backs on current trends just to ad variation to a skyline as nice as that would be.

In the future I would appreciate it if you didn't twist my words.

BTW I agree with almost everything you said.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Yep. Also, Ryerson's School of Image Arts is not only the most appropriate installation but, the best I've seen in the city and possibly the best in Canada.
it is pretty cool, it's a shame it's so tucked away that most people will never even know of its existence. It also helps make that skating rink one if the cooler ones in the city.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:36 PM
I am the law!

Glass is hardly a faceless material lacking warmth and character. It is simply not in the budget for most residential buildings. Cityplace suffers from run of the mill materials. The average design of the towers is not that bad and certainly nothing to fall asleep over. I don't see how introducing some cheap stone/precast would improve the overall aesthetics either.

Most people tend to turn a blind eye towards glass boxes but, the quality actually ranges wildly particularly in a city full of it like Toronto. For artist, one of the most difficult things to draw is a perfect circle. For architects, to perfect a simple box is a lifelong endeavour only a few who ever consider. I do however hope Kuwabara is satisfied with his latest attempt and can move on to something easier and more appealing to the masses.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Stantec/Delta pit is huge. My understanding is that they want to start pouring concrete this month!
In order to meet time lines and avoid penalties they are are going to have to start foundation work for the parkade this month. The plaza has to be finished for the arena opening. Even though the design is still being refined for Stantec Tower expect the work to begin soon.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:12 PM
Fake News

Quote:
It reminds me of the lighting on Telus Spark in Calgary.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
In order to meet time lines and avoid penalties they are are going to have to start foundation work for the parkade this month. The plaza has to be finished for the arena opening. Even though the design is still being refined for Stantec Tower expect the work to begin soon.
I was told the plaza would definitely not be open in time for the arena opening. Or maybe only partially?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 10:06 PM
gettin' rich!

A Slice of Harbour Plaza passing the Gardiner...

Me - today

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 2:20 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
It reminds me of the lighting on Telus Spark in Calgary.
I think Telus Spark's lighting is awesome. The location sucks though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 1:19 AM
gettin' rich!

ICE Condo by me today

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada