HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 8:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Jesus Christ himself was Canadian too. Just in case people were unaware...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:01 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

My uncle knew him. Always at the side of the street just outside of the dairy. Strange that you see someone so powerful deciding to mill in a small town on the prairies.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:03 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Lmao

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:03 PM

^ And he's between the pipes for the Sens right now, and has been for the past 5.0 games or so.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
^ And he's between the pipes for the Sens right now, and has been for the past 5.0 games or so.
I think you meant the Habs.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:27 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
^ Great post

Cheers

that wasn't a great post, it was just item no. 132,306,457 in the "canada is great because americans are stupid" parade. and it came just a few posts after centropolis, an american, posted an interesting thing about his u.s. region's historical connection to montreal and french canada.

but then they showed up in july with skis on the roof and were racist and fat and thought the prime minister was jean poutine.

surely we are better than this?

(sometimes i really wonder if we are better than this.)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
and it came just a few posts after centropolis, an american, posted an interesting thing about his u.s. region's historical connection to montreal and french canada.
Speaking of which, I want to ask Centropolis if it's true that you can still find native French speakers in today's Missouri? I find it a bit hard to believe (maybe it was a slight exaggeration).

I pass through St. Louis about once a year on average. In the past I've taken the time to go a bit out of my way in S. Louisiana to find French speakers (all of them were ancient at the time, and it was years ago, but what they spoke was still decently mutually intelligible with modern standard French -- in retrospect, I'm glad I got to witness this in my life, it was a cool experience)... and I'd happily do the same thing again.

So, do you think you can supply me with precise directions to that remaining little pub where the handful of paw paw speakers still alive usually hang out?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Some Canadians don't use capital letters. Others really, really love commas.

We're a grammatically-multicultural people.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
That some kind of Dracula shit??

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
that wasn't a great post, it was just item no. 132,306,457 in the "canada is great because americans are stupid" parade. and it came just a few posts after centropolis, an american, posted an interesting thing about his u.s. region's historical connection to montreal and french canada.

but then they showed up in july with skis on the roof and were racist and fat and thought the prime minister was jean poutine.

Look, It's not like the poster went off and called Americans morons, and ignorant in which case I would of scrolled past his post with my eyes rolling.To not see any truisms in his or her post means you just have your proverbial head in the sand. Most stereotypes are just that, because they are real my friend..Even the "Ugly Canadian" bit which you personally vehemently referenced before . I thought it was a good post..Sure a little off-putting, but some of the content was spot on. Comparing it to that whole skis on roof in July *yawn* and the Jean Poutine skit from Air Farce is just ridiculous, and by swinging the pendulum of what the poster stated into that sarcastic satirical reference showed your knee jerk reaction to me liking their post.

Last edited by Razor; Mar 6, 2015 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Look, It's not like the poster went off and called Americans morons, and ignorant
Well he insinuated just as much. And he justified it with poor logic, baffling personal anecdotes, and obnoxious overuse of emoticons. Just cringeworthy all around.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Am I the only one here who thinks this in an ugly building? Or at the very least a confusing building. Am I looking at the front? Back? Side?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 6:48 AM

Toronto was never a very low tax city and certainly a never politically right wing one.

It's not that Toronto "won" but rather that Montreal simply capitulated and the Montrealers really didn't have any other options except Toronto.

Toronto has had little to do with it's own ascendency it just got s**t lucky.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Toronto was never a very low tax city and certainly a never politically right wing one.

It's not that Toronto "won" but rather that Montreal simply capitulated and the Montrealers really didn't have any other options except Toronto.

and international immigration.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
Well he insinuated just as much. And he justified it with poor logic, baffling personal anecdotes, and obnoxious overuse of emoticons. Just cringeworthy all around.
Cringe worthy?????

U have no idea what cringe worthy sounds like??

Until u have stood face to face with the people I am talking about!!

They are manipulated by fear, of race religion, and nations, they are willing to believe the simplest rhetoric, the "They hate our freedom" people are hard to listen too!!
There are 2 America's , in a very real sense.... there are American's who have travelled abroad, and have been well educated, and many of them are dear friends!!! ( Also New Yorkers are very human)
Then there are the red state, "Nuke em all" , idiots, who do not give a fuck about any one .... vote against their own interest's, because the feller they voted for seemed to dislike African Americans!!

The way they use race , to explain the struggles of the poor, and use fear to gain political control , and justify war after war,...... is all an injustice against humanity... they could care less about real injustice, and will not raise a finger for Darfur, or Rwanda... but conveniently fight terror in the places where resources they desire happen to be...

There are very good American people who protest these things, but they are a minority, .... the large underbelly of red state America is insufferable, uneducated and offensive by all measurements!!!

Cliché is one thing, living here is another!!!

I experience first hand the sad faces of immigrants who come here thinking its gonna be all Cosby show and Michael Jackson Videos!!
They are so surprised when I can dialogue with them about affairs of the world and know where Addis or Damascus is!! ( Until they find out I am a Canadian)
This is a horrible place to live at times..... the FEAR that exists here, you have never worn!! The hate that is breed here, you have never tasted... I work in the African American community, many of them are afraid to go out at night, due to police violence and hate!!

You cannot imagine what this place is like until you have heard the white haired neighbor lady curse the Hmong family next door, and the terror they bring, as a truck full of white kids speeds by on Meth!!!!

This place is so disconnected from the global community, and the farther into the rural areas you go, the more commonplace the hate and fear becomes!! The most benign people are capable of saying the most hateful things here!!

SO judge me as you will, but I face it every day, as a white male, with 1000s of face book friends, both black and white, I read daily the 2 extremes of thought, and if you have not seen it first hand , you might want to mind your mouth!!??

These people take FOX news seriously!?!?
They believe half the world goes to bed at night wishing them death!!
The black community lives in fear, and gays are so much more repressed here than they are in Canada, or the rest of the western world!!

There are many things I love about the USA>>>> But their Nationalism is nauseating at times, and the less one seems to know about the world the stronger said persons opinions tend to be!!

I talk every day with both types of Americans, I find people with unbridled hate for humans they have never met, and a total lack of empathy for thei struggle, and no interest in understanding why they struggle a horrible person.... yet most places you go, there is some one at the BBQ yelling about killing all MUSLIMS and FAGS!!
Its disgusting and I am sure it exists everywhere, but it is very prevalent here!!

There are good people here, without question, but there are a "NATIONALISTIC" bunch of flag waving idiots , that are insufferable, and if you were to spend 20 years here you would understand!!!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 8:20 AM
The New Republic

Quote:

Boiling it down to success by default? I'm not sure if you believe that or purposely being obtuse to see how many noses you can put out of joint.

Toronto doesn't have the entrepreneurial bent of Silicon Valley, the take no prisoners business mentality of Chicago, or the aggressive competitive streak of New Yorkers, but honestly! Toronto has attracted bright people from across Canada and around the world who've toiled for over a century to build it into what it is today. Toronto might not be best at any one thing but it does enough things well to put itself in the game.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 2:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsbackincanada View Post
Cringe worthy?????

U have no idea what cringe worthy sounds like??

Until u have stood face to face with the people I am talking about!!

They are manipulated by fear, of race religion, and nations, they are willing to believe the simplest rhetoric, the "They hate our freedom" people are hard to listen too!!
There are 2 America's , in a very real sense.... there are American's who have travelled abroad, and have been well educated, and many of them are dear friends!!! ( Also New Yorkers are very human)
Then there are the red state, "Nuke em all" , idiots, who do not give a fuck about any one .... vote against their own interest's, because the feller they voted for seemed to dislike African Americans!!

The way they use race , to explain the struggles of the poor, and use fear to gain political control , and justify war after war,...... is all an injustice against humanity... they could care less about real injustice, and will not raise a finger for Darfur, or Rwanda... but conveniently fight terror in the places where resources they desire happen to be...

There are very good American people who protest these things, but they are a minority, .... the large underbelly of red state America is insufferable, uneducated and offensive by all measurements!!!

Cliché is one thing, living here is another!!!

I experience first hand the sad faces of immigrants who come here thinking its gonna be all Cosby show and Michael Jackson Videos!!
They are so surprised when I can dialogue with them about affairs of the world and know where Addis or Damascus is!! ( Until they find out I am a Canadian)
This is a horrible place to live at times..... the FEAR that exists here, you have never worn!! The hate that is breed here, you have never tasted... I work in the African American community, many of them are afraid to go out at night, due to police violence and hate!!

You cannot imagine what this place is like until you have heard the white haired neighbor lady curse the Hmong family next door, and the terror they bring, as a truck full of white kids speeds by on Meth!!!!

This place is so disconnected from the global community, and the farther into the rural areas you go, the more commonplace the hate and fear becomes!! The most benign people are capable of saying the most hateful things here!!

SO judge me as you will, but I face it every day, as a white male, with 1000s of face book friends, both black and white, I read daily the 2 extremes of thought, and if you have not seen it first hand , you might want to mind your mouth!!??

These people take FOX news seriously!?!?
They believe half the world goes to bed at night wishing them death!!
The black community lives in fear, and gays are so much more repressed here than they are in Canada, or the rest of the western world!!

There are many things I love about the USA>>>> But their Nationalism is nauseating at times, and the less one seems to know about the world the stronger said persons opinions tend to be!!

I talk every day with both types of Americans, I find people with unbridled hate for humans they have never met, and a total lack of empathy for thei struggle, and no interest in understanding why they struggle a horrible person.... yet most places you go, there is some one at the BBQ yelling about killing all MUSLIMS and FAGS!!
Its disgusting and I am sure it exists everywhere, but it is very prevalent here!!

There are good people here, without question, but there are a "NATIONALISTIC" bunch of flag waving idiots , that are insufferable, and if you were to spend 20 years here you would understand!!!
Sounds like you might be sampling in different demographic pools depending on which side of the border you are on.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks this in an ugly building? Or at the very least a confusing building. Am I looking at the front? Back? Side?
You are looking at the side and the back, at least in the sense that the main entrance is not shown from that angle. I can't say I find it "ugly" and as a purpose built Shakespearean theatre it would be hard to argue that it doesn't serve its function well. I believe it has undergone some changes over time, but the original building was intended to resemble a tent, as a nod to the theatre festival's origins.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:

What was the year of "capitulation"? When did Toronto's growth cease to be a function of historical trends and become a matter of "luck"? Seems like myth building to me.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 2:22 PM
Look at me!

Montreal's choice was: remain the seat of the country but continue to be ruled by the Anglo minority, or become masters of our own and lose the seat of power. In order to rule ourselves, we needed to stop ruling the country. I'm okay with that trade off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada