HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Honestly surprised this is happening with the way the economy looks right now.

In the last US Recession ( Dec 2007- June2009), Atlanta launched and/or completed several towers (completion yr listed below)
Sovereign 665ft 2008
The Mansion 580ft 2008
The Atlantic 577ft 2009
1075 Peachtree 488ft 2009
3630 Peachtree 469ft 2009
Lowes Midtown 462ft 2010
4more above 400 ft and 6more above 300ft
Most of these project had significant traction before that recession. Rates remained favorable.
Even 12 Centennial (491ft 2007) and Terminus (485ft 2007) were completed during a time where we had remarkable headwinds toward a recession.

The data indicates that NYC, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta and Las Vegas did extremely well (in terms of highrise/skyscraper dev) during the 2007-2009 recession.

All US cities showed a marked decrease in high-rise /skyscraper developments from 2010-2012(post-recession).

Last edited by ATL Champion; Feb 25, 2023 at 2:40 PM. Reason: sp

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 2:00 PM

Quote:
They aren't building it for today. But for 3-4 years in the future.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 2:10 PM

I won't get too excited until I see some cranes jacking. Remember, Opus had a land permit.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 2:18 PM

All the negative comments. The Rockefeller Group is legit, no one from Opus was legit.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Which aspect of the economy? Unemployment is the lowest since 1969, and the Personal consumption expenditures (PCE) price index is lower than 2022. Stocks have been pretty flat for a couple years, but none of this seems to be hampering building construction across the country.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Which aspect of the economy? Unemployment is the lowest since 1969, and the Personal consumption expenditures (PCE) price index is lower than 2022. Stocks have been pretty flat for a couple years, but none of this seems to be hampering building construction across the country.
We're in the biggest bubble of all time and it's popping. 2021 was the peak of the delusion. People are so disconnected from reality right now, it's going to be like Interstellar when the tesserect collapses. Long term we will be better off, but it is going to throw everyone who is too bound up in this economy for a loop. Keep the faith. A lot coming down the pike in the next few years.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 9:46 PM

Quote:
We're in the biggest bubble of all time and it's popping. 2021 was the peak of the delusion. People are so disconnected from reality right now, it's going to be like Interstellar when the tesserect collapses. Long term we will be better off, but it is going to throw everyone who is too bound up in this economy for a loop. Keep the faith. A lot coming down the pike in the next few years.
But if we're in a bubble isn't this exactly the type of building you'd expect? Sorry, not to get off topic, but I'm just not sure why you would consider it "surprising." I expect we'll see more taller towers like this especially as vacant lots in Midtown continue to fill... at least until the bubble pops.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
But if we're in a bubble isn't this exactly the type of building you'd expect? Sorry, not to get off topic, but I'm just not sure why you would consider it "surprising." I expect we'll see more taller towers like this especially as vacant lots in Midtown continue to fill... at least until the bubble pops.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 1:45 AM

Quote:
True—& as ATL Champion said many towers got completed during the last recession. I didn't realize all those towers got built after the recession hit. My brain went to all of the single family home projects that got abandoned overnight in '07-09.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 3:20 AM

Really awesome to see - it will have quite the presence in the skyline

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 5:05 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 9:05 PM

Yes sir,,,awesome, choke on this OPUS.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 5:07 PM

Prepped for demo

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 6:36 PM

This view is going to be fun to watch for the next two years. BTW, did anyone else notice the dark SUV (at the bottom of the photo) turning upstream from 12th Street onto West Peachtree?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
This view is going to be fun to watch for the next two years. BTW, did anyone else notice the dark SUV (at the bottom of the photo) turning upstream from 12th Street onto West Peachtree?
Can't wait to see this one rise. Thanks for posting my photo Smartalone sometimes it's too much work uploading images to this site. And I didn't notice the car driving the wrong way until after I took the photo

I'll add some new photos as soon as I see demo start

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdan View Post
Can't wait to see this one rise. Thanks for posting my photo Smartalone sometimes it's too much work uploading images to this site. And I didn't notice the car driving the wrong way until after I took the photo

I'll add some new photos as soon as I see demo start
Awesome! Much appreciated - may take a walk through midtown this weekend and try to take some pictures it's been a while since I walked around down there, Even in a few weeks things have changed

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
Hahaha, great catch about the car. It can get confusing with the one-way roads in the city. I hope they were able to clear that ongoing traffic without an accident.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 5:59 PM

You'd be surprised how many people drive the wrong way on these streets. Saturday, someone just casually turned right on the corner of spring and 14th going north. Thankfully, no cars were coming.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
You'd be surprised how many people drive the wrong way on these streets. Saturday, someone just casually turned right on the corner of spring and 14th going north. Thankfully, no cars were coming.
I just saw someone yesterday afternoon drive north on Spring street from Biltmore Place all the way to 8th street.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 6:51 PM

When I lived in Midtown it was a constant occurrence.

There really needs to be much better signage in these situations. 11th street westbound at Juniper, for instance, is like playing hide and go seek with the one-way sign. Ridiculous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta