HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:40 PM

I can see Boni and Johnson traded, probably to an NL contender. Otherwise I don't see any significant trades except for maybe some prospects.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 1:32 PM

Yeah, I'm sure you're right that only minor deals will get done. The Jays aren't really in a position to do anything, really.

I'd hate to be AA. I mean, he's already said the Jays are going for it so he can't turn around now and start building for the future...again! On the other hand, major changes need to be made to this team. But what and how? That's the question. That's why AA is paid the big bucks.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 11:37 PM

No deals - not a big surprise. Perhaps it's best they finish the season out with this group. Maybe they'll come together. Maybe some of the failures will turn their season around, so they can then be traded in the off-season. Payroll seems to be the biggest issue going forward - not much latitude for AA.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 2:02 AM

Yeah, no real surprise.
Good game today, nice to see the Jays rally after some fielding errors. Don't really blame them for the dropped pop-ups, in that sun they would have been easy to lose sight of. The important thing is they didn't cost the game.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 12:19 AM

Santos back up and McGowan down...again. The Jays used him quite delicately, I think, but it doesn't seem to matter with old Dustin. Anyway, at least it's not arm-related.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 11:29 PM

It's interesting reading on numerous sites about whether Bautista's drive should have been a home run last night or not. Again it boils down to did the fielder maintain possession the entire time he was out of sight.

TV replays (that I've seen) cannot answer this conclusively, and so I feel there should be an amendment to the rule. If the umpire cannot see without doubt that the catch was made cleanly and possession maintained, then it should not be ruled a catch. Additionally, I think the rule should be amended to say that if the player completely leaves the field of play then the catch should not stand either, and it should be a home run or foul ball.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 11:47 AM

I haven't been following any of the discussion on this play, but I'm pretty sure - by the book - that was a home run. I mean, is what happened not the same as jumping over the fence and catching the ball? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I can't be bothered to look up the rule but, as I said, I'm quite sure the rule says that if a player leaves the field to make a play, it's not an out. MLB, however, is probably hesitant to call it that way given the excitement it generates. Dunno. Merely speculative on my behalf...all of it.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 12:47 PM

Looks like Rogers is starting to tire. I'm not sure he's ever thrown this many innings before, so it's no surprise. Not sure what the answer is...for any of the Jays' problems.

Anyway, Happ's back soon. Hopefully he doesn't suck too severely.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 2:24 PM

Agree with you with Rogers. He did a good job filling in, but for the future (next season) I see him more as a long reliever from the bullpen.

I did look up the rule. It states that so long as a player's feet are touching or over the field of play and in making the catch he falls into the stands, the catch stands and it's an out, but if he goes out in fair territory then any base runners may advance without risk of being thrown out one base.

However, my bone of contention is that if a fielder makes a catch in the outfield by jumping/diving etc the ump will wait until the player lands to see without doubt that he caught and maintained possession of the ball. When a player falls behind a fence into the stands, it's impossible to know whether he maintained possession or dropped the ball and got it back into his glove. Therefore on the play it should be ruled a home run or foul ball according to where on the field the player leaves.

Last edited by DrNest; Aug 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM. Reason: Pesky autocorrect

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 2:43 PM

You're right. If the ump can't see properly, it's awfully tough to call.

And yeah, Rogers is a much cheaper version of Carlos Villanueva. Nothin' wrong with that ($500.000 vs. $5.000.000).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 2:14 AM

First pitch home run! I love a start like that!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 8:16 AM

Who'd have figured that Josh Johnson would have beaten Felix Hernandez. I wish this could somehow be an omen that the Jays can tern it around. Unfortunately, it isn't and they won't, it's just baseball.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 1:13 PM

I wish I'd put some money on the game. Damn...

I wonder if this isn't just an aberration. You'll recall that Romero showed periodic signs of life last season only to...well, we know what's happened to him. Anyway, it would be great if Dickey, Buehrle and Johnson could all get going at the same time so we could see whether or not this team has the right stuff or not.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 5:40 PM

Yes, would be good to see what the Jays would be like with those three firing on all cylinders.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 12:54 AM

Watched the Astros and Rangers play today. The only vaguely recognisable name in the lineup was Brett Wallace. The rest are totally obscure: LJ Hoes anybody?? To be fair, their catcher, Jason Castro looks quite good. Great arm. A bit of pop at the plate. Anyway, if anybody had ever wondered how a decent AAA team would fair against MLB talent, now they know. So bizarre.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 1:07 AM

Another Perez bites the dust just in time for the other one to take his spot. Too bad. He's not particularly young, so who knows what this will mean to his career.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 3:05 AM

It was inevitable with his quirky arm action. I wish him all the best for a full recovery.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 5:51 PM

Boni's gone!
Traded to Kansas City for cash or a player to be named later.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 11:27 PM

He was such a disappointment. I thought he'd get on base and do all kinds of stuff and just generally be exciting to watch. Nope...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 12:10 AM

My thoughts exactly. He was a good pinch runner with his speed but that was all. Even then he got caught stealing too often for someone as fast as him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto