HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:38 AM

I would think that if you're talking about transfers, the Peoria station (just outside of Stapleton, and not the actual Stapleton Station - aptly named the Central Park Station) will be a pretty significant hub as an end of line for the I-225 line.

The Stapleton station is already a pretty big park and ride but, certaintly not anything close to capturing the #2 spot. The zoning around the station allows for some higher densities (to be built in ater phases) but, I'm not holding out hope. I think that there is enough of a NIMBY presence to counter folks like me and axe any true urbanism before it takes shape.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 1:07 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I find that very hard to believe. Stapleton certainly not, and it is hard to imagine Peoria ever rivaling Broadway in terms of transfers.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:23 PM

For the record

The Denver Post had another strange write up on US 36 with the catchy title "For whom 36 tolls" sunday morning 030914.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25...state-says-its

Monte Whaley, the DP reporter, seems to have attempted to placate the feelings of a lot of people that are still very angry about the 50 year agreement. She never mentioned how the opposition to the US 36 Agreement had to do with the length of the agreement, how the agreement was not revealed until 2 weeks prior to being signed, how the public had no recourse about the signing, and how the agreement was signed without any politicians being publically liable for the decision.

Instead, she wrote in terms of whether the toll portion would pay for itself based upon increased user projections and how a contract that few politicians and reports have ever read has no guarantees of a minimum revenue level. In the article, she states that CDOT officials told her that there is "no contractual guarantee for a minimum level of revenue"

She talks glowingly about how E-470's traffic has increased over the last four years and how bad traffic would have been from Boulder to DIA had the toll way never been built. However, she never mentions that E 470, from the beginning was a private project from day 1, unlike US 36.

I thought her bringing up how the state owned US 36 toll road paid itself off was meaningless, as the US 36 toll way, from the being, was a state financed via bonds and owned by the Colorado public.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 6:07 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleForBikes.org
Green Lane Project selects Denver for 2-year cycletrack planning program
http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/e...project-cities

The PeopleForBikes Green Lane Project has selected six new U.S. cities to join its intensive two-year program to build better bike lanes. Atlanta, GA, Boston, MA, Denver, CO, Indianapolis, IN, Pittsburgh, PA and Seattle, WA will receive financial, strategic and technical assistance to create low-stress streets and increase vitality in urban centers through the installation of protected bike lanes.

This news qualifies as "well, it can't hurt." I'm skeptical the Green Lane Project actually makes a difference in planning or implementation, or anything other than hype within the progressive transportation echo chamber. It seems like they often add cities that are about to add cycletracks anyway, then claim some of the credit. But it's free, and if nothing else it does give your city engineers a phone number to call for advice.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
This news qualifies as "well, it can't hurt." I'm skeptical the Green Lane Project actually makes a difference in planning or implementation, or anything other than hype within the progressive transportation echo chamber. It seems like they often add cities that are about to add cycletracks anyway, then claim some of the credit. But it's free, and if nothing else it does give your city engineers a phone number to call for advice.
Yes, you are sort of correct. In order for a city to be chosen, the city already needs to be seriously looking at implementing cycling infrastructure. However, I do feel it will be beneficial to Denver, as Public Works can lean heavily on The Green Lane Project's engineers.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:03 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
the progressive transportation echo chamber
To effectively use that in a sentence, you must live in DC.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:32 PM

Does anybody now what decisions were made on the DUS public art? Looking through the DUSPA meeting minutes it was to be discussed in the October meeting, but I can't find what was decided.......in particular I'm curious about the Christian Moeller piece "LOLA". TIA!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:46 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppyflyer View Post
Does anybody now what decisions were made on the DUS public art? Looking through the DUSPA meeting minutes it was to be discussed in the October meeting, but I can't find what was decided.......in particular I'm curious about the Christian Moeller piece "LOLA". TIA!
LOLA was selected and is expected to be completed by May. It will apparently be a bit smaller than what was in the video.

I still think a clock tower would be a better choice as an art installation.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:48 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
LOLA was selected and is expected to be completed by May. It will apparently be a bit smaller than what was in the video.

I still think a clock tower would be a better choice as an art installation.
Thanks! I agree about the clock tower, I think either a spot in front of the station or one of the plazas would have been a better choice for that specific piece (LOLA). If they are going to put it there, why the downsizing......hopefully not another Calatrava type deal. Also, was that the only large piece of public art planned at DUS (not counting the fountains)?

Last edited by guppyflyer; Mar 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:55 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I really dislike that piece. Art shouldn't require a monthly maintenance program and WD40 budget. It should get a scrubbing once a decade. A clocktower would've been much much better. But stylistic disagreements aside, I can live with requiring a capital set-aside for public art. But it crosses the line for me when it has moving parts. I'd vote down the entire program down before I'd approve maintenance intensive art, which that seems like it will be.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 11:52 PM

Clocks don't have moving parts?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:24 AM

Clocks have moving parts that are functional. This is like a Picasso clock. I get the feeling that we are expected to be stoned to enjoy our public art. That might be something to add to visitors' itinerary. Smoke a lot of weed and walk around Denver looking at painted cows.

Last edited by The Dirt; Mar 13, 2014 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:25 AM

lol. I'm actually very conservative when it comes to public art. Give me a clock tower, or a general on a horse, or (the best), a good marble fountain with a naked lady in the middle. I just found that to be a curious comment.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:12 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Moving parts that are protected from the elements. This is going to need constant attention to keep it moving, otherwise it will just rust to a stop. I see no reason for it to move just for the sake of moving.

We definitely need more marble fountains with naked ladies. Or just marble naked ladies. Hell, even marble naked dudes. Naked marble Hickenlooper on a horse, bring it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:29 AM

Protected from the elements? Hm. I guess there could be a glass pane on the face of Big Ben. Not how I've always imagined it, though.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:30 AM

Colorado Springs is willing to convert on-street parking spaces and to bike parking. Haven't heard of this in Denver yet. Falling behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalUrbanismHere
Colorado Springs' First Bicycle Corral
http://www.tacticalurbanismhere.com/...bicycle-corral

The City of Colorado Springs added two new Bicycle Corrals to the Downtown urban fabric in the Winter of 2013. More are anticipated to be added.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:38 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Naked marble Hickenlooper on a horse, bring it.
I... Seriously clicked on Photoshop and went, wait... No Ryan... No naked marble Hickenlooper on a horse tonight. I then proceeded to close Photoshop.

Quote:
Colorado Springs is willing to convert on-street parking spaces and to bike parking. Haven't heard of this in Denver yet. Falling behind.
There aren't enough people / there isn't enough interest in the Springs to take all of the street parking Have you been to Denver recently? There's hardly any open street parking as is. I say utilize our wide sidewalks and add bike parking there.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Clocks don't have moving parts?
Also fountains don't have maintenance issues? IIRC the ones in Skyline Park were damaged beyond repair when they were turned off during the drought, still wish those could be revived, I absolutely loved them when I was a kid.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:05 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Both seem functional to me too though, on a different level from a routine sculpture, which shouldn't. A fountain is clearly a tier above this thing. And a clock tells time.

I just think this is a blight on an otherwise clean, slick train shed. It has no business being there and makes me question the entire public art mandate - it's that bad.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:46 PM

I personally like it...Lola looks very much like an abstract clock tower. It reminds me of the work outside the central library. Perhaps it is just better maintained with DAM money, but it seems to do just fine over the years. Granted it only moves in strong wind or when kids are playing on it, and I think that's what we can expect from this as well.

...I love fountains as well, but damn if they don't always seem broken in Denver! Gotta think of context as well; I love the traditional works in Civic Center park, but with the platform being very modern and new I think something like this fits right in.

But of course art is so very personal. Personally, I think we should get a marble stalinesque statue of a stern-faced Hancock behind a grove of marijuana

Last edited by phatfish; Mar 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM. Reason: Wrong art style

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West