HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 1:05 AM

Great model nonetheless.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Isn't or wasn't there a small church under one corner of the tower?
Yes, there is suppose to be a Luthern Church on the bottom; I wasn't a huge fan of the church, so I took it out and extended the shopping mall.

I will look on Bricklink and see what clubs are closest, I've never looked there before.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Jeremy

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Amazing model. I could sit and look at that all day. And yep, 308 bricks, that's just over 9 feet tall. I bet it's heavy as hell.
Yes, it is extremely heavy, though I don't believe it is as heavy as some of DecoJim's creations. It is constructed in modular assembly, so it disassembles into about 15 sections; this reduced the need of interior bracing with the exception of the base of the tower which reduces the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Good eye Jim. I don't think I had noticed that before. I believe the groove around the underside perimeter houses lighting for the plaza.

BTW my forthcoming version 2 of the (microscale) Citigroup also features a smooth underside.
The smooth underside was quite tricky, but I felt that I needed to somehow incorporate it into the Lego model. It's a whole lot of 2 x 2 white tiles, but they are connected the opposite direction, of the studs using Technic bricks and pins. It will be cool to see how you incorporate it into the micro-scale version; can't wait to see it.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 3:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

my colection keeps getting biger should get around to building a skyscraper of sorts i gues

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 9:49 PM

lol first you have to build a chair out of legos^^
btw: i don't like these boxes with film themes...they have too many special pieces and it destroys the creativity...i only use usual bricks

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 6:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

naa my chare was just moved outa the shot

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 6:54 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SP]Neo View Post
btw: i don't like these boxes with film themes...they have too many special pieces and it destroys the creativity...i only use usual bricks
Yes! Some of the new airplane Lego sets have too many large pieces. An airplane now days might only have 5 pieces to construct the body of the plane. I don't like that. The whole point of having Legos is to build with them. I never really "play" with my creations. Once I'm done building it I just set it on the shelf. I take it down to clean it and tinker with it, but that's about it. And the real joy comes from building things. So the less constructing you have to do, the less fun it would be. Still, Lego has come out with some sweet models in the last couple of years. Those mega models from Star Wars especially with the thousands of pieces. I mostly like to do my own designs though. The last thing I built was a model of Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters. It's about 14 inches long. I need to get some more pieces to get the color right, but all in all it came out well. I don't have any pics of it though. I'm waiting to get the pieces I need first.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 9:45 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Was at Legoland this last week, perhaps a bit later I'll post my pictures of the lego skylines, and save you all the trouble of paying 60 bucks to get in the park.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 9:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

its still money well spent you chea basterd

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 1:32 AM
I am a typical

I have a coupon, 7$ off at Legoland in San Diego, which is great, because I sooo live there!

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 7:18 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SP]Neo View Post
There are pros and cons to these sets. The Star Wars sets (and video games) have been very important to keeping the Lego company on a stable financial footing in this age of so many entertainment options.

I have found that many of the film-based sets a definite bonus since they often have parts in "realistic" colors (not the basic yellow, red and blue). For example I have built almost entire buildings out of numerous Harry Potter sets I purchased on clearance a few years ago. Those sets had a lot of tan and gray Lego bricks and arches. Many of the Star Wars sets have lots of gray parts which is a good approximation for concrete, stone, or even steel buildings.

The airplane set that Kevin from Texas mentions is actually not a movie themed set (it is a City set). I do agree that parts that are too specialized are not good (although don't underestimate the ability of some builders to redeploy a part in a way totally different than what was original intended).

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yes! Some of the new airplane Lego sets have too many large pieces. An airplane now days might only have 5 pieces to construct the body of the plane. I don't like that. The whole point of having Legos is to build with them. I never really "play" with my creations. Once I'm done building it I just set it on the shelf. I take it down to clean it and tinker with it, but that's about it. And the real joy comes from building things. So the less constructing you have to do, the less fun it would be. Still, Lego has come out with some sweet models in the last couple of years. Those mega models from Star Wars especially with the thousands of pieces. I mostly like to do my own designs though. The last thing I built was a model of Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters. It's about 14 inches long. I need to get some more pieces to get the color right, but all in all it came out well. I don't have any pics of it though. I'm waiting to get the pieces I need first.
totally agreed. i really think lego is about building different and maybe very complicated and great(like deco jim) models with very simple stones. that brings fun and creativity but building a plane with 4 pieces is simply stupid....i mean if you want to PLAY with a plane thenyou buy a good plane model....

@deco jim: yes the big star destroyer is a great model but i don't like that they only sell these movie theme boxes...that's like it is in germany, thats a problem for me because i want only simple red stones and you only can buy single stones of them and then i pay 10€ (15$) for 10 stones!

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:47 AM
Is That LEGO?

Another new one...

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 4:10 AM

Wow!! thats great! cheap to. Do you take each one apart wen your done?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 12:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

first atemp at a tower made from 2x2's only

Last edited by 1ajs; Jun 1, 2008 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:13 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Another new one...

Fantastic job!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
first atemp at a tower made from 2x2's only

good job i made several buildings only from 2x2 stones it's very funny.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 10:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and i have started to make some exterior clading on it just experimenting with difren ways if doing it atm

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 9:23 PM

During transportation My Eiffel tower's legs got warped and when I tried repairing it it partially collapsed,so heres a random but still intereesting
picture of its semi reconstruction

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 11:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hey cool austin

is that from the set or your own creation?
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=10181-1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art