HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 4:07 PM

Big batch of updates, first set c/o ChannelTwoNews (Watteleigh here on SSP) 1/17 - 1/19.

SkyHouse

Main & Leeland

The Sovereign

2929 Weslayan

9807 & 9811 Katy Fwy

Energy Tower IV

Shell Woodcreek Expansion

Energy Center IV

West Memorial Place

Updates by larrydierker - 1/19

Premier Medical Center

Broadstone Medical Center

Brazos Towers at Bayou Manor

SWN Energy HQ: By Cloud713

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

Broadstone Medical Center

I like all the infill devlopment, but these deals with the boxy towerish elements and the faux cornices and the mixed facades that are popping up everywhere... I'm not sure these are gonna age too well. They just look a bit cheap and kind of strange. Better than what they were putting up any time between, oh, 1950 and 2005, at least.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 7:12 PM

2014 was said to be the year of apartments and hotels for Houston, but when are the hotels going to be announced? Does anyone know?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG425 View Post
2014 was said to be the year of apartments and hotels for Houston, but when are the hotels going to be announced? Does anyone know?
Well a lot of the hotel projects have already been announced in the downtown area such as the Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites(Block 75 Downtown, Breaking Ground sometime 1Q) and the Marriott Marquis Convention Center Hotel (April 11 Ground Breaking) as well as the JW Marriott and Holiday Inn that are already under renovation. While the year of the apartment/hotels is probably referring to all the 2013 proposals finally breaking ground, there are still a few announcements coming in the next few months. The 25 story hotel component for Greenstreet should be announced by the end of February and there's rumors that Ritz-Carlton is looking downtown as well as other luxury brands looking around the Houston area. Downtown alone is looking at 2500+ rooms, another 2000 for Uptown, and then thousands of more rooms will be spread out around the metro area and in other employment centers. I doubt Houston will ever see another hotel boom like it's about to see in the next few years. Patience my friend! You have to enjoy it while it lasts!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 9:50 PM

Instead of living large, millennials thinking small
Quote:
The modern apartment is increasingly likely to look like this: a 380-square-foot space with a separate bedroom; a kitchen with fewer cabinets and more shelves; and a place in the garage to plug in an electric car.

“Things are changing quickly,” architect Mark Humphreys said last week during a webinar in which he and other industry experts presented their outlooks and new trends for the apartment market.

Units have been getting smaller as more 20-somethings – a key segment of the renter population – no longer want roommates or big pieces of furniture requiring large spaces.

“Millennials coming into apartments don’t own a whole lot other than technology,” said Doug Bibby, president of the Washington, D.C.-based National Multi Housing Council.

Several years ago, Humphreys designed a project in The Woodlands where the smallest units were 550 square feet. There’s now a waiting list to get one.

The floor plans with 380 square feet, known as “micro units,” are slowly making it to Houston. Humphreys designed some in a project in Katy, and he said there’s “no question” more will start to show up in the urban core.

It’s a trend he calls “the Manhattanization of the United States.”
Manhattanization? That's a pretty huge stretch. The rest of the country has about a billion miles to go before it even Brooklynifies, let alone Manhattanizes. Anyways, here's hoping the trend continues, and I'll be interested to see if it does so for families, not just singles - seems like that's what could really allow for some really significant positive changes in the shape of the city, even well beyond the Loop.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
I like all the infill devlopment, but these deals with the boxy towerish elements and the faux cornices and the mixed facades that are popping up everywhere... I'm not sure these are gonna age too well. They just look a bit cheap and kind of strange. Better than what they were putting up any time between, oh, 1950 and 2005, at least.
Hopefully 20-30yrs from now that apartment complex will be demolished for something better, Broadstone has an exact copy of that one u/c in Uptown as well.

Regarding hotel development, Catie Dixon at Bisnow will be speaking to a hotel expert later this week, so we may get an update on a few hotel projects.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jan 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
The office market is very strong. Incredible absorption and low vacancy rate.

http://www.coydavidson.com/office/ho...eport-4q-2013/
And yet another number. So is the absorption 2.9 million or 5.1 million? It's obvious everyone's database has a different inventory.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 12:23 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
And yet another number. So is the absorption 2.9 million or 5.1 million? It's obvious everyone's database has a different inventory.
It depends how you classify Class A, Class B, Class C.

Every agency has their own standard so there isn't an authority on it. The main thing reflected from all of them is positive absorbtion in the millions, decreasing vacancies, while more projects enter the market.

The posterchild prereqs for a healthy office market.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:29 AM

I agree all these apartments are starting to look the same, and when that happens it starts to take away some of their "pizzaz". I would love to see some street level type apartments in the high density areas, kinda like a brownstone effect-ish but not exactly the same obviously. While I'm on the topic of wishing i would love to see some more affordable built apartments in the loop, but i know that makes little economical sense.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenate View Post
I agree all these apartments are starting to look the same, and when that happens it starts to take away some of their "pizzaz". I would love to see some street level type apartments in the high density areas, kinda like a brownstone effect-ish but not exactly the same obviously. While I'm on the topic of wishing i would love to see some more affordable built apartments in the loop, but i know that makes little economical sense.
In that regard, the Astoria is going to look like pretty cool design when it is topped out. I think most of the creativity will be reserved for anything 20 stories or taller.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
In that regard, the Astoria is going to look like pretty cool design when it is topped out. I think most of the creativity will be reserved for anything 20 stories or taller.
I totally agree. I remember when the original renderings came out I was highly impressed. It looked like a highrise that was designed for NY

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 12:13 AM

More photos c/o ChannelTwo News - 1/21

Energy Center III & IV

Belmont Village

Fairmont Museum District: c/o The Pragmatist

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:00 PM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:06 PM

Houston's poised to become a future hub of space flight once it gets the permit for its spaceport at Ellington Field.

http://m.bizjournals.com/houston/blo...ommercial.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:12 PM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:16 PM

2013 was the best year on record for Houston real estate.

http://m.bizjournals.com/houston/new...ords-best.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:18 PM

Also a steel company expands into Houston. Will build a new facility as Houston's industrial sector proves to still be robust.

http://m.bizjournals.com/houston/new...its-first.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:20 PM

Allen Parkway/Montrose to get a new dog park.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/i...is-on-the-way/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:05 AM

16-Story Monster Garage

By urban909

By Nate99

Sunrise Birdsall Apartments: 1/115

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:06 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations