HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 3:19 AM
Plenary pleasures.

^^decent point, although NU and NMH are far more closely related than your former example.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
^^decent point, although NU and NMH are far more closely related than your former example.
Any by far more closely related you mean they actually have some semblance of a relationship as opposed to absolutely no relations whatsover. Total straw man on Mr. DT's part considering Scientology is a UFO cult founded by a science fiction writer and the Christian Scientists are a sect of Christianity that focuses on a belief that prayer can heal. There is literally no similarity or relationship between Scientology and Christian science. The only thing they have in common is the prefix "scien" which is apparently a concept some of us continue to have difficulty mastering. Beyond those five letters there are no other shared traits, relationships, or history.

Meanwhile you have Northwestern and NMU which share a common history, have very strong cross-organizational ties, and have an active working relationship through which they share some resources, among other things. Anyone who claims these two organizations do not actively collaborate is either ignorant or lying through their teeth. It's awfully hard to claim otherwise when NMU has an entire building called "Feinberg Pavillion" which just so happens to house Nortwestern University's "Feinberg School of Medicine". I'm sure that's just total coincidence though, no relationship there at all...

FYI, NMU and Northwestern are only separate organizations for obvious liability and financial reasons. I know they tried to claim otherwise during the Prentice debacle, but they are more or less in lockstep with one another. It's difficult to run a school of medicine without a hospital to house it...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
If it ever happens. :/ Seems to me the whole thing now hinges on the outcome of the 43rd Ward race.
Just saw that Vickery concede to incumbent Alderman Michele Smith. I believe Vickery wanted to enter into additional negotiations with the developers of the CMH site, so this might be a win for development?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Just saw that Vickery concede to incumbent Alderman Michele Smith. I believe Vickery wanted to enter into additional negotiations with the developers of the CMH site, so this might be a win for development?
Thank the lord. Community zoning board comprised of her cronies, commuter tax on non-residents, lawsuit against CMH redevelopment, lawsuit against Lincoln Elementary annex, etc. -- Vickrey was the ultimate NIMBY.

Probably would have dug a friggin moat around 43 if elected...

Last edited by r18tdi; Apr 14, 2015 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 12:25 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
NMU and Northwestern are only separate organizations for obvious liability and financial reasons.
My point was that completely different people are making the decisions on what architect to hire; what designs to approve. That makes it kind of silly for tup to claim the same folks are responsible for gems in Evanston and turds in Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:11 PM

Figured I'd share this since its a massive and ongoing general development

Quote:
Cabrini-Green Development Zone Plan Update Community Meetings

The community is invited to learn more about the updated plan that will guide the development and revitalization of approximately 65-acres of vacant land at the Cabrini-Green site.

Jesse White Community Center & Field house - Friday, April 17 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm

Seward Park Gymnasium - Wednesday, April 22, 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
If you don't like the current plan and its lack of density, go voice your opinion!

Will be interesting to see what the "updates" are

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Thank the lord. Community zoning board comprised of her cronies, commuter tax on non-residents, lawsuit against CMH redevelopment, lawsuit against Lincoln Elementary annex, etc. -- Vickrey was the ultimate NIMBY.

Probably would have dug a friggin moat around 43 if elected...
Yeah she seems terrible. Glad she lost.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 8:02 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
Figured I'd share this since its a massive and ongoing general development

If you don't like the current plan and its lack of density, go voice your opinion!

Will be interesting to see what the "updates" are

Just don't be one of these goofs that comes out biased against apartment (and toward condo) components......k? Save that doucheiness for the suburbs.......

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 10:28 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've heard that Olympia Building (the building housing Kan Zaman and the neighboring SRO) on Wells between Ontario and Ohio is going to be torn down. Any word on that?
Kan Zaman, the Lebanese restaurant in that building is now totally shut down. I'm going to miss it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 11:36 PM

Anyone have any updates on Northerly Island? Thought I read it was suppose to be finished late 2014 or early 2015. Interested to see how that park will turn out

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 4:13 AM

News from the Blue Line:

1. The "towers" at the California stop were approved at the Plan Commission today.

2. There's construction equipment at the "L" development on Milwaukee just north of the Congress Theater.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 5:10 AM
TL;DR

Also, that micro-unit building on California north of Milwaukee passed City Council.

Proposed rents are insane on a per/SF basis for Logan Square, with studios at nearly $2.75/SF. Hopefully he can find financing.

On the bright side, by this time next year there may be four major TODs around the California Blue Line stop for nearly 500 units under construction, all at a pretty respectable parking ratio of roughly 0.4 spots per unit.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 1:57 PM

Steely Dan, you're a kayaker, perhaps you'd like to weigh in.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-83321576/
Quote:
Chicago seeks feedback on rivers' future

Geoff Ziezulewicz, Chicago Tribune
8:25 am, April 17, 2015
Chicago is rightfully lauded for its gorgeous stretch of lakeshore.

But for its network of rivers, one of which is named "Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal?" Not so much.

Now the city, the Metropolitan Planning Council and the Friends of the Chicago River are together seeking community feedback on how to make Chicago's river networks more accessible and attractive.

A 10-minute survey at GreatRiversChicago.com asks participants about their experience with Chicago's rivers, and what they would hope to see in the future.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Kan Zaman, the Lebanese restaurant in that building is now totally shut down. I'm going to miss it.
This sucks

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 2:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Steely Dan, you're a kayaker, perhaps you'd like to weigh in.
unfortunately, now that i'm no longer a carefree footloose bachelor, and the fact that i no longer live in marina city, my kayaking career has taken a sharp nose dive.

time. they're constantly making more of it, yet there still never seems to be enough.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 17, 2015 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not that whole block and corner need a redo

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkeoto View Post
News from the Blue Line:

1. The "towers" at the California stop were approved at the Plan Commission today.

2. There's construction equipment at the "L" development on Milwaukee just north of the Congress Theater.
Forgive my ignorance, does this mean that the Cali station towers will be built as they were presented at the most recent community meeting? Or are there still other approvals they need to get before they're done changing the design/height etc? I'm still not completely familiar with all the approvals needed for a development.

Edit: Just got my question answered by reading the Highrise thread

Last edited by sage; Apr 17, 2015 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11 View Post
Anyone have any updates on Northerly Island? Thought I read it was suppose to be finished late 2014 or early 2015. Interested to see how that park will turn out
I went there a week ago and it was still fenced off. Looks like they still need to put in the plants and trees.

On the army corps of engineering website it has an update but doesn't say when it was last updated.

Grading and about 80% of the initial planting on site are completed. The concrete maintenance path will be completed in Spring 2015. Remaining activities on the contract are invasive species removal and plant establishment.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I liked the interior to it. Pretty cool - the food was decent - not amazing - but decent.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 AM

I noticed this afternoon that there is a "For Lease" sign in the former Sear's space on State. Did the plans for a CVS flagship there fall through?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development