HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 11:00 PM

On the topic of arenas, I took a tour of MSG last week. Wow, it's amazing what $1B will do to an arena! MTS' new seats are very similar in colour and fabric to MSG.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 2:44 AM

For those with Starwood points, Jets/Rangers @MSG now on sale on the SPG Moments page. This year it is a flat redemption for 55,000 Starpoints to get two tickets to the Starwood Suite and related seats.

https://auction.starwoodhotels.com/redeem/moment/3634

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
For those with Starwood points, Jets/Rangers @MSG now on sale on the SPG Moments page. This year it is a flat redemption for 55,000 Starpoints to get two tickets to the Starwood Suite and related seats.

https://auction.starwoodhotels.com/redeem/moment/3634
not once but twice...The cringe is real

Quote:
SPG Luxury Suite: Madison Square Garden - New York Rangers vs. Winnepeg Jets
Quote:
Join us in RangersTown. Catch the Blueshirts just feet from the ice as they take on the Winnepeg Jets. You and a guest will enjoy access to the fully stocked SPG Luxury Suite at Madison Square Garden and two reserved VIP suite seats.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 3:28 AM

They did manage to get the right spelling for the Heritage Classic:

https://auction.starwoodhotels.com/m...tdetails/12974

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:07 AM

You would really have to be swimming in SPG points to consider that MSG redemption. You can get a week at a nice resort hotel in Bali for less than 55,000 points!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:14 AM

While I have many times that in spg points I totally agree that at that rate it is not a good value. The LA Kings at the Staples Center are a little less crazy at 35K. (No current Jets listing)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 6:14 PM

I asked Starwood to fix the spelling and they did.

Jets/Kings @Staples Center now listed for 35K points:

https://auction.starwoodhotels.com/redeem/moment/3503

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 4:41 PM

https://www.nhl.com/jets/info/mtscentre-upgrades

Link to what building enhancements have been completed. Sounds like the lower bowl stuff in progress will be completed by January.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 8:45 PM

I knew they were doing all the railings in the bowls because of the visibility issues, but they didn't really need to upgrade the railings on the stairs — glad they did though, looks incredible and super modern.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
I asked Starwood to fix the spelling and they did.

Jets/Kings @Staples Center now listed for 35K points:

https://auction.starwoodhotels.com/redeem/moment/3503
Nice work Dave. Stuff like that irks me. Is it really that difficult to ensure a proper name is spelled correctly these days.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 11:33 PM

BTW, Heritage Classic tickets arrived

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 4:24 PM

Fun fact: just like the MTS Centre did after the addition of the loges, The Oilers new stadium has a TON of issues of obstructed sightlines. And it's brand new.

Some of them are awful, can't see any of the ice. Also seems like in the upper deck they tried to give so much leg room that you can't see forward. They're already going to start construction to try and fix the issues. Interesting to note is that they will be giving certain ticket holders partial credit for each ticket until they fix the issues.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/some-oile...lace-1.3095280

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 9:13 PM

Obstructed view seats seem like a fairly regular occurrence with large new venues...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 9:34 PM

^Which is crazy.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I knew they were doing all the railings in the bowls because of the visibility issues, but they didn't really need to upgrade the railings on the stairs — glad they did though, looks incredible and super modern.
Yeah im really curious to see what MTS looks like at the end of january. They are definitely going above and beyond and man does that stainless steel ever look sharp. Definitely an NHL finish. I like the Blue,Grey and White with stainless accents. just look Modern like you said

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 2:41 PM

Obstructed views seem all too common in new, large sports facilities. They are a significant issues in IGF even to this day to the point there are seats near me that are classified as "unsellable". Yes, the view is obstructed but not to the point I would deem it unsellable. The loge issue at MTS Centre last season was worse than the unsellable seats at IGF.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Obstructed views seem all too common in new, large sports facilities. They are a significant issues in IGF even to this day to the point there are seats near me that are classified as "unsellable". Yes, the view is obstructed but not to the point I would deem it unsellable. The loge issue at MTS Centre last season was worse than the unsellable seats at IGF.
Where at IGF is this? Because I'm 2nd row 213 at IGF, which was one of the areas listed a "obstructed" when the news broke after the opening... all that's cut off is a small corner of the nearest endzone, which you only need to see if they throw a deep touchdown pass. And in that case you can lean/stand up since it's so rare for action to be there.

It's a good tradeoff for having the seats angle toward centre. We were essentially in the exact same seats at CanadInns but the seats obviously faced straight forward, it's much better this way.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 6:19 PM

I think they are a few seats around each portal in the upper decks that have obstructions that impede the view of the field drastically. I think they only sell them on ticketmaster when the rest of the stadium seats have sold which is only the banjo bowl.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Where at IGF is this? Because I'm 2nd row 213 at IGF, which was one of the areas listed a "obstructed" when the news broke after the opening... all that's cut off is a small corner of the nearest endzone, which you only need to see if they throw a deep touchdown pass. And in that case you can lean/stand up since it's so rare for action to be there.
You basically hit the point straight on. The obstruction is relatively minor yet the row one corner seats on some, and likely all, of the upper deck were listed as fully obstructed and "unsellable" seats after the seat relocation happened but before the end of the first season. The obstruction only applies to the corner seats and only row one. Source: after season 1 the season ticket holders in row one of my section gave up their seats and since then the corners are only ever sold for complete sell outs, ie Banjo Bowl, Grey Cup, and even then they are listed as obstructed seats when sold. STH with those seats were likely offered other concessions if they wanted to keep them such as permanent discounts.

Edit: it addition to the seats above the portal, the row one section corner seats are also affected as the railing is significantly higher where the stairs are.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Edit: it addition to the seats above the portal, the row one section corner seats are also affected as the railing is significantly higher where the stairs are.
It's hilarious: this was one of the deficiencies in the stadium they had to fix last minute before opening. The railing height in front of the seats was about 6 inches too low, let alone in front of the stairs which was even more. That's why you see there's small posts welded on top of the railing where the cable part is attached to.

What's worse, instead of just installing a small railing on top of the concrete wall to begin with, they built it in front of the wall, so there's 4"+ less leg/knee room in the front row.

Some things at IGF just baffle me that they ever saw the light of day. It's like they just decided to design and build all the concrete work first, then decided where all the washrooms/concessions/etc fit within that, then later decided how to finish it off. Then fucked it up and had to fix many things. It's so clear very little thought went into most of the building. I'm so afraid of what the Rum Hut area will be like once that gate starts being used by 75% of the crowd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan