HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
It really does suck to see Toronto looking at a play off race year one with Mathews and jets 10 points out year 1 with Laine.

Mcdavid in Edmonton
Gaudreau in Calgary
Mathews in Toronto
Laine in Winnipeg

Exciting time for Canadian hockey but I really would have liked to see 6 of 7 in this year. Canada really has some superstars but the Jets are the only ones that cant seem to convert.....next year?
Will be the same next year. It's management that won't spend on a good goalie. They keep shopping at the dollar store.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 8:23 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Will be the same next year. It's management that won't spend on a good goalie. They keep shopping at the dollar store.
What are you talking about. They havent shopped at all for a goalie. I am 100% convinced that they'll bring in a more experienced goalie whether by trade or free agency to shore up the netminding and give hellebuyck a safety net.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
What are you talking about. They havent shopped at all for a goalie. I am 100% convinced that they'll bring in a more experienced goalie whether by trade or free agency to shore up the netminding and give hellebuyck a safety net.
I agree. With Pav's crazy contract finally coming off the books there is absolutely no reason for the Jets not to take that cash and sign a good veteran keeper to help out Helly.

If they don't address the goaltending this off season I will be pissed.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 7:45 PM

The question is, who is up for grabs this offseason?

Bizarre twist, Pav's picked up by Golden Knights, and Fleury comes to the Jets?

But you have,

Bishop (2.54, 0.91) who in my opinion is overrated. He just has the natural bonus of being 6' 7".

Miller (2.79, 0.915) who wouldn't be that great of an improvement. If only he could play as well now as he did in Buffalo in 2010, that year was solid for him.

Jonathan Bernier (2.45, 0.918) Decent backup goalie. Only 50% wins though. Not an improvement on what we have.

Steve Mason... No thank you.

Brian Elliot (2.49, 0.911) Problem is consistency. Easy to say nice things when they are on a hot streak. Him and Johnson (who has similar numbers and is also up for grabs) are both half decent goalies though.

Now Budaj Interesting... Did good with LA, put up solid numbers, but in the past his numbers have been shaky at best.

Remember that guy Scott Darling, the guy who killed it for Chicago while Crawford was recovering? Yeah he is up for grabs.

Michael Condon... can't do the two young goalies thing again.

I'm thinking Carling, Bishop, or Fleury if that is possible.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 7:52 PM
There is always a way

If you look at our goalies' records this season, hellebuyck is a little better than .500. Pavs was exactly 500 if I recall correctly and hutch has been dismal. If hutch even has slightly better numbers and wins another 5 or 6 games, winnipeg old very well be playoff bound. I don't think we need a serious starter, just a guy who can be an effective reliever for hellebuyck. Remember that even Carey price had a few rocky seasons before coming into his own.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:02 AM

Coaching.....coaching..

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:41 AM

Maurice has to go. He has virtually nothing to show for his time with the Jets. If he is still there next year it will be the same old, same old disappointment and waste of a year.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:31 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Now that we have been mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, here are some things that need to be done for next year.

First of all, Chevy will be keeping PoMo on a very short leash going into next year, if Chevy extends his contract to another year. I know all of you want to get rid of him, but I'll give him 1 more chance for next season. From a young players development stand point, he's the best at doing that right now, and only at that. Everything else, we have systemic issues, with discipline being a major issue for our team, which falls to the coach, and not the players.

If we do poorly in the first couple of months of next season, PoMo will be and should be gone before Christmas. Although I can see Charlie Huddy getting the boot in the off season, since he's one of two original coaches left from when the Jets came back. After all, he is the defensive coach, and based on our defence for the last two seasons, someone has to answer to that. The other being Wade Flaherty, the goaltending coach.

With all that said, the expansion draft has really thrown a wrench into everything with all 30 teams in the league, as every team will be guaranteed to lose 1 player. Once that expansion draft is over, then the entry draft comes, followed by free agency on Canada Day. Chevy can then address the goaltending and defensive core.

If we can get a Scott Darling, or if we play our cards right (and provided Las Vegas don't get him for some stupid reason), a goalie like Flowers (Marc-Andre Fleury), they would be an ideal guy to mentor Hellebuyck. Anyone who is better than Hutch or Pav right now.

As for our defensive core, we will need some guys who will stay healthy. Tyler Myers has been absent from not only his injury, but from his recent scare in regards to his newborn son. As it stands right now, our defensive core is pretty much decimated with injuries, which was pretty much the majority of the reason why we missed the playoffs this year.

We have the offensive firepower. We now have to mitigate issues with our defence, goaltending, and coaching, all in that order.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:55 AM

Teams protected lists for the expansion draft will be made public. Will be interesting who the Jets (and all the other teams) protect.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:28 PM

Should be interesting. The days between when the lists are released and the expansion draft, which is only about 4-5 days, will be extremely interesting! Hockey Twitter will explode haha

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:33 PM

This whole Vegas thing is kind of hilarious... the NHL finally gave in and decided to get its foot in the door there before any other leagues. Then as soon as they did, the NFL came and stole hockey's thunder. I guess the Golden Knights will have Vegas to themselves for a couple of seasons, but honestly... seeing what goes on in other American cities I could see Canadian tourists making up most of their crowds once the Raiders set up shop in town.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:35 PM

The wandering Raiders of the NFL (early 90's Simpsons quote FYI lol) How long until they return to Oakland or move to St. Louis? Who's taking bets?

I love the Raiders name and branding. Perfect for a sports franchise.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:37 PM

^ I heard someone say that they should drop the city name and just be "The Raiders"... sounds about right.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:38 PM

Hahaha yup. At least the logo is just Raiders. No need to change anything!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:31 AM

Coaching

Is there anyone else that is questioning why Maurice is still consistently shuffling lines even once eliminated, and with only 6 games left. By December I was over it.

Unless there is a real issue with Chemistry, injuries, etc. lines that produce should stay together, even through minor cold streaks. How are they supposed to develop any sort of Chemistry, if they are constantly moving around?

I know Maurice said he would do it at the beginning of the year, but I didn't realize he was going to do it to this extent.

I also agree, Huddy, and Flaherty both need to go. And we need a designated Special Teams coach. Our special teams is abysmal.

19th in PP%
28th in PK%
25th for Short Handed goals against.
30th for the amount of short handed situations. 288 this year.

I know this is also blasphemous, but I don't like Laine. I haven't liked him all year. He is a big points guy, can release like the best of them, and actually has some good IQ. But the kid has no heart. He is cocky, which will hopefully adjust as he gets older, he is 18 after all. He is one of the worst at digging. If he isn't dangling with his unorthodox stick handling style (very slow swoop style) or shooting, he gives up on the play really easy. I also cannot stand his slow turns away from the play, both offensively and defensively. He is like an eagle, goes in for a strike, if he misses, he swoops around the face-off circle and tries again with another poke. He rarely hits (sits middle of the pack despite his ice time).

That being said, I love Ehlers, Morrissey is amazing, and our other typical forwards are amazing as well. It shows, we are seventh in goals for.

Replace Enstrom with Poolman, keep Buff as a second tier defensemen so he is not so pressured, keep everyone else healthy and we have a solid team.

Any talk about Trouba for the off season? Think he will stay?

That's my post season-late season summary.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 3:25 PM

It appears that TNSE is hoping to host the 2020 or 2021 NHL Entry Draft:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...418462853.html

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 12:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Is there anyone else that is questioning why Maurice is still consistently shuffling lines even once eliminated, and with only 6 games left. By December I was over it.

Unless there is a real issue with Chemistry, injuries, etc. lines that produce should stay together, even through minor cold streaks. How are they supposed to develop any sort of Chemistry, if they are constantly moving around?

I know Maurice said he would do it at the beginning of the year, but I didn't realize he was going to do it to this extent.

I also agree, Huddy, and Flaherty both need to go. And we need a designated Special Teams coach. Our special teams is abysmal.

19th in PP%
28th in PK%
25th for Short Handed goals against.
30th for the amount of short handed situations. 288 this year.

I know this is also blasphemous, but I don't like Laine. I haven't liked him all year. He is a big points guy, can release like the best of them, and actually has some good IQ. But the kid has no heart. He is cocky, which will hopefully adjust as he gets older, he is 18 after all. He is one of the worst at digging. If he isn't dangling with his unorthodox stick handling style (very slow swoop style) or shooting, he gives up on the play really easy. I also cannot stand his slow turns away from the play, both offensively and defensively. He is like an eagle, goes in for a strike, if he misses, he swoops around the face-off circle and tries again with another poke. He rarely hits (sits middle of the pack despite his ice time).

That being said, I love Ehlers, Morrissey is amazing, and our other typical forwards are amazing as well. It shows, we are seventh in goals for.

Replace Enstrom with Poolman, keep Buff as a second tier defensemen so he is not so pressured, keep everyone else healthy and we have a solid team.

Any talk about Trouba for the off season? Think he will stay?

That's my post season-late season summary.
Replace Enstrom with Poolman? Are you joking?

First off, Enstrom is one of your best LHD, and a top 4 defenseman on the team, even if he is past his prime. Poolman is a bottom pairing defenseman, and a RHD. He is also 24 years old. I'm not sure if you follow hockey much, but Poolman is not going to be a defensive star.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 3:05 AM

I think perhaps Flaherty should go before he ruins Eric Comrie, Like he did with Helle and Hutch !

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
I think perhaps Flaherty should go before he ruins Eric Comrie, Like he did with Helle and Hutch !
He has ruined many goalies.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:35 AM
BANNED

Unreal. 6 in a row. If they played like this before they bagged out. Maybe we could have been in the play offs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan