HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 4:33 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Affordable/Cheap Accomadations in Saskatoon

So, apparently Greyhound is like $60+ more expensive to travel from Saskatoon to Thunder Bay starting in the evening than to leave in the morning. Does anyone know of a place to stay that costs less than (or about) $60? (I've tried looking, but haven't had too much luck.)

Thanks in advanced.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 4:38 PM

You may want to try airbnb/vrbo to see what's out there. Hotels are oddly expensive in the prairie provinces... good luck in your search!

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 4:50 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You may want to try airbnb/vrbo to see what's out there. Hotels are oddly expensive in the prairie provinces... good luck in your search!
The Airbnb has some good prices, but I'm not quite sure how it works.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 4:57 PM

Airbnb would be my only suggestion. I can't imagine any hotel rooms going for that cheap. At least not any hotels that you would ever dare to stay at.

What brings you here?

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:03 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Airbnb would be my only suggestion. I can't imagine any hotel rooms going for that cheap. At least not any hotels that you would ever dare to stay at.

What brings you here?
Doing a tour of Western Canada's main cities. Most of the places are about a night's sleep apart so I thought I'd visit them. Went out west to Alberta a couple summers ago (was out in the badlands the whole time) and it seemed in Winnipeg and Regina from what I saw. The others look very nice in pictures. So I thought I'd try to see them all.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:09 PM

Agreed with others Airbnb is best

however you can also look into "The Inn on College", right across downtown - 1020 college dr. Just do a quick google search for their phone #, and ask their prices. Comfy beds and reasonable prices, great bathrooms.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post

however you can also look into "The Inn on College", right across downtown - 1020 college dr. Just do a quick google search for their phone #, and ask their prices. Comfy beds and reasonable prices, great bathrooms.
You may want to take a look at Via rail. Train service only operate on a couple of days per week. If I remember correctly it is a morning departure out of Saskatoon with late evening arrival into Winnipeg. Prices are normally high but for the longest time that had the route on sale fairly frequently. Taxi from downtown out to the train station may put you back by about $49-60.

You may also want to try to look at taking an STC bus to Regina and connect to Greyhound there. There are probably a few other cities where the two networks intersect. Pricing may be different on the STC website.

Last edited by casper; May 5, 2015 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post

Likewise agree on the Airbnb option.. I recommend staying somewhere East of Idylwyld Dr, West side neighbourhoods of Saskatoon I don't recommend at all.

"Nettys Nest Visitor Lodge" is right next to "The Inn on College" and in a good area.. If you can splurge and stay at Hotel Senator on 21st street you'll be in the heart of the city, not far from river & close to best shopping and night life.. or even Park Town Hotel which is right along the river.. University Bridge is shut down & under construction so just have to factor in some gridlock in that area at certain times of the day..

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:07 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
You may want to take a look at Via rail. Train service only operate on a couple of days per week. If I remember correctly it is a morning departure out of Saskatoon with late evening arrival into Winnipeg. Prices are normally high but for the longest time that had the route on sale fairly frequently. Taxi from downtown out to the train station may put you back by about $49-60.

You may also want to try to look at taking an STC bus to Regina and connect to Greyhound there. There are probably a few other cities where the two networks intersect. Pricing may be different on the STC website.
Via wouldn't have worked. Thunder Bay doesn't have Via, so it wasn't really an option.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 7:32 PM

How'd you make out with your search?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 7:39 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
How'd you make out with your search?
I had a friend in town (well somewhere between a friend and a friend of a friend) so I tried to get in contact with them. That didn't work out. Now I'm hoping I can use Greyhound's $20 rescheduling fee to get home early for cheaper. If that doesn't work I guess I'll try the place mentioned (assuming they still have rooms).

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 2:54 PM

Let us know how your visit goes.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 4:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Let us know how your visit goes.
It's going well so far. Just resting my feet for a bit. I realize it isn't usually this wet, but is it normally Edmonton/Winnipeg dry or more like Calgary/Regina dry?

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
It's going well so far. Just resting my feet for a bit. I realize it isn't usually this wet, but is it normally Edmonton/Winnipeg dry or more like Calgary/Regina dry?
For this time of year it is unusually dry, last night was the first precipitation we've had in weeks. Normally this early in the year there isn't smoke in the air like there has been recently either. This is supposed to be the start of the rainy season. I'd say it's closer to Edmonton in terms of moisture/precipitation, not nearly as humid as Winnipeg summers.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 8:02 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
For this time of year it is unusually dry, last night was the first precipitation we've had in weeks. Normally this early in the year there isn't smoke in the air like there has been recently either. This is supposed to be the start of the rainy season. I'd say it's closer to Edmonton in terms of moisture/precipitation, not nearly as humid as Winnipeg summers.
Winnipeg has always struck me as very very dry. Maybe I've just had weird luck.

Anyway, I shall indeed be spending the night.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan