HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Rate Winnipegs New Stadium, Investors Group Field
1-Poor 5 6.49%
2-Below Average 5 6.49%
3-Average 16 20.78%
4-Better than Average 33 42.86%
5-Great 18 23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 4:00 PM
What could go wrong?

I will be going to the game tonight. Anyone with any tips for good parking spots?

I know to go early, we will try to be there for around 6pm (have to work like everyone else). Bus is out because I am taking my 6 year old son and will be leaving early......game starting at 8pm on the final school night of the year makes it hard for the little guy to stay at the game till 11pm and then be stuck in traffic for an hour or 2.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 5:40 PM

Had to post this comment from tsn.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=426425

ticatbulldog
3 hours ago
That's what a football stadium is supposed to look like! Hamilton councillors...you looking at this?? Bratina, how could you say our 'new' stadium is 'state of the art'? Do YOU really believe what you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I will be going to the game tonight. Anyone with any tips for good parking spots?

I know to go early, we will try to be there for around 6pm (have to work like everyone else). Bus is out because I am taking my 6 year old son and will be leaving early......game starting at 8pm on the final school night of the year makes it hard for the little guy to stay at the game till 11pm and then be stuck in traffic for an hour or 2.
You should park on the east side of the river and ride your bikes across, if possible. Down in the River Rd/Minnetonka area south of Bishop Grandin. We parked there last game. The walk took about 30-45 mins. Should only take about 10 mins by bike and you avoid all the Pembina traffic. There is free valet bike parking right outside the gate as well. So no worries on that front. There is a pathway through the old golf course. It's actually the old carts paths.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It really depends on how far your son is able/willing to walk. You might be able to get on-site parking still by entering off University Cres however there was talk that day-of-event parking sales may be removed to help with the traffic issues.

There were also a number of lots between Bishop and Chancellor on Pembina that were selling parking space. There is supposed to be a shuttle bus running collecting people but as you likely know that may not work out.

You could also look for free parking in St Vital and walk/bike in from there but that might be on the long side for your son.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 8:54 PM

After several BB games and 2 concerts at IGF has anyone's opinions changed on the Stadium? Parking/Transit seems to be improving. Concessions, inside and out seem to be improving?

IS the stadium, "it is what it is"and no real change has occured or has your impression changed? Still problems?

Kinda like the provencher pedestrian bridge and the Million $ toilet/restaurant. Can't find to many city pics/sports channels, or postcards without it somewhere in there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 9:03 PM

Seems a lot of the issues have worked themselves out.

No problems with transit. Only drove one time, the first exhibition game. Bus is the way to go. Takes me an hour from when I leave my door in EK to when I step off the bus at IG Field.

No problems with washrooms, hardly a line-up. And if you know to look around the corner to the "other side" if you will, there's usually openings. Same with concessions. Seems there's line-ups at the corners of the stadiums. But walk a little bit to mid field and the lines are on-existent.

I've enjoyed myself every time I've been, looking forward to tomorrow night! But I still haven't made it on the River Rouge. Probably try that on Banjo Bowl.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Seems a lot of the issues have worked themselves out.

No problems with transit. Only drove one time, the first exhibition game. Bus is the way to go. Takes me an hour from when I leave my door in EK to when I step off the bus at IG Field.

No problems with washrooms, hardly a line-up. And if you know to look around the corner to the "other side" if you will, there's usually openings. Same with concessions. Seems there's line-ups at the corners of the stadiums. But walk a little bit to mid field and the lines are on-existent.

I've enjoyed myself every time I've been, looking forward to tomorrow night! But I still haven't made it on the River Rouge. Probably try that on Banjo Bowl.
Sounds pretty positive Bomber,I'd like to try attending via the Rouge on the Red as well sometime. Playoffs../jk/.. still optimistic though.

How are the sight lines we talked about so much in the past? From people who may have had(obstructed seats?).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Sounds pretty positive Bomber,I'd like to try attending via the Rouge on the Red as well sometime. Playoffs../jk/.. still optimistic though.

How are the sight lines we talked about so much in the past? From people who may have had(obstructed seats?).
Playoffs?! We're talking playoffs?! Jk..

Sightlines are what they are. Really not all that bad. Just some handrails and the endzone corners. You can't see the endzone corner nearest to you at any seat in the stadium. But other than that, sightlines (your view of the rest field from your seat) are excellent.

One thing I will say though, I think the over hyped the main concourse view. They were saying "you can wait in line for a beer and watch the game". Unless your standing immediately behind the top row seats, you can't really see much of the field. They also put up shields so people don't stand where I mentioned. So that is a bit odd. I'll post some photos after tomorrow nights game.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:08 AM

I attended the Paul McCartney concert and up until then my only impressions of the new stadium came via watching the Bomber games on TV, and the venue does seem to shine when viewed on TSN HD. Now having experienced it in person, I feel rather "meh" about the place. I voted it a 3.

To be fair, it is an improvement over the old place in almost every way, but I feel the corners cut to keep the cost down will lead to regret when that new stadium smell wears off and we realise what we are left with for the next four or five decades compared to what could have had with better planning and maybe a few dollars more.

Of course, as mentioned, fan experience is all that ultimately matters, and perhaps when (if) the Bombers start competing we can turn focus to the field while some of the venue's shortcomings are silently fixed around us and this does become a four or five-star facility.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:11 PM

Quote:

Sightlines are what they are. Really not all that bad. Just some handrails and the endzone corners. You can't see the endzone corner nearest to you at any seat in the stadium. But other than that, sightlines (your view of the rest field from your seat) are excellent.

One thing I will say though, I think the over hyped the main concourse view. They were saying "you can wait in line for a beer and watch the game". Unless your standing immediately behind the top row seats, you can't really see much of the field. They also put up shields so people don't stand where I mentioned. So that is a bit odd. I'll post some photos after tomorrow nights game.
I do remember the Club talking up the fact you won't miss a minute of the game when your in line for a beer/dog. I pretty much stayed on the floor for the 1st concert so I didn't experience waiting in line and missing the game in progress, which by all accounts is the main reason the stadium was built,"Football". That's too bad.

lv to see the pics if you have a chance to post them.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesquirrels View Post
I attended the Paul McCartney concert and up until then my only impressions of the new stadium came via watching the Bomber games on TV, and the venue does seem to shine when viewed on TSN HD. Now having experienced it in person, I feel rather "meh" about the place. I voted it a 3.

To be fair, it is an improvement over the old place in almost every way, but I feel the corners cut to keep the cost down will lead to regret when that new stadium smell wears off and we realise what we are left with for the next four or five decades compared to what could have had with better planning and maybe a few dollars more.

Of course, as mentioned, fan experience is all that ultimately matters, and perhaps when (if) the Bombers start competing we can turn focus to the field while some of the venue's shortcomings are silently fixed around us and this does become a four or five-star facility.
My feelings exactly. The stadium is typically Winnipeg, good not great. Kinda sucks we were the first to go, because Hamilton, Sask and Ottawa are all going to improve on IGF's shortcomings. The biggest issue when the stadium here was being discussed was coverage, couldn't have a roof (not that we ever could have afforded one). Having experienced a number of Bomber games, Hamilton's basic and functional football stadium looks better and better. I want a good seat between the goal-lines where I can see the game. I just think that there are too many bad seats in IGF to ever create that great atmosphere that makes people come back when the team is good or bad. Add to that the crappy concourse, and inability to access and leave campus reasonably (working good now because the fans are leaving in waves as the Bombers lose). We sacrificed a lot for a couple steel arches and a wide-open concourse. Looks pretty, not a great functional football stadium IMO.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 5:08 AM

Quote:

They also have all the TV's pointed the opposite direction from the way you face in line for concessions. So basically if you are in line, you see as much of the game as you did at Canad Inns, probably less because the TV's were more visible there.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 2:25 PM

Stadium is fantastic.

I had the pleasure of being there for a Bombers game and when it was empty for work purposes.

I sat in the upper deck, near the end. Sitelines were non-issue.

Traffic is now a non-issue.

Still hear the occasional grumble about waiting to leave campus (oh gee, 30,000 people leaving an area at once and you have to wait in traffic?).

Next test will come when the snow flies. Its all fine to park on Pembina and walk but when it's -30 we shall see. People really seem to be embracing public transit for this. I parked at the corner of Markham and Pembina and walked ten minutes.

Would loves to see the golf course lands devloped to include a park/tail gate area.

The only concern I have with location is that its not conducive to localized development, being on Campus. 10-12 events per year probably wouldnt spurr a lot of development anyway, but you see what TN has done around the MTSC - that doesnt exist around the Stadium.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
The only concern I have with location is that its not conducive to localized development, being on Campus. 10-12 events per year probably wouldnt spurr a lot of development anyway, but you see what TN has done around the MTSC - that doesnt exist around the Stadium.
Is there a football stadium anywhere that has generated that kind of development? I can't say that I've seen any - they tend to be surrounded by large parking lots. Considering that most football stadiums have no more than a couple dozen big event nights a year, I wouldn't expect a lot of development to come as a result of their presence.

You do see that sort of "stadium village" development happen with baseball stadiums and indoor arenas, but those are facilities with many times the number of event nights per year.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Stadium is fantastic.

I had the pleasure of being there for a Bombers game and when it was empty for work purposes.

I sat in the upper deck, near the end. Sitelines were non-issue.

Traffic is now a non-issue.

Still hear the occasional grumble about waiting to leave campus (oh gee, 30,000 people leaving an area at once and you have to wait in traffic?).

Next test will come when the snow flies. Its all fine to park on Pembina and walk but when it's -30 we shall see. People really seem to be embracing public transit for this. I parked at the corner of Markham and Pembina and walked ten minutes.

Would loves to see the golf course lands devloped to include a park/tail gate area.

Great to here another positive experience. Hopefully the future will include some positive dev. for the golf course area and an addition to the(one day completed),SW RT Corridor.

It seems were only a couple months in and some people feel all the other stadiums coming online in the future will surpass IGF, as we were the test run and other dev. will shine and surpass us in everyway. Hey I'm OK with it, I was born a pegger and sometimes it feels like nothing can be done right or is good enough in this City. I'm used to it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
It seems were only a couple months in and some people feel all the other stadiums coming online in the future will surpass IGF, as we were the test run and other dev. will shine and surpass us in everyway. Hey I'm OK with it, I was born a pegger and sometimes it feels like nothing can be done right or is good enough in this City. I'm used to it.
What an odd complaint.

Hamilton sure isn't surpassing us with their new stadium. Ottawa's renovated facility is nice, but will be quite a bit smaller than IGF. It sounds like Regina's new facility might be better, but it sounds like they're basically planning a souped up version of what we have as compared to something on an entirely different level like University of Phoenix Stadium or some such. Calgary and Toronto will likely get new stadiums over the next decade too, but there is no indication yet of what they're likely to receive.

So who is building these stadiums that will make IGF obsolete?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What an odd complaint.

Hamilton sure isn't surpassing us with their new stadium. Ottawa's renovated facility is nice, but will be quite a bit smaller than IGF. It sounds like Regina's new facility might be better, but it sounds like they're basically planning a souped up version of what we have as compared to something on an entirely different level like University of Phoenix Stadium or some such. Calgary and Toronto will likely get new stadiums over the next decade too, but there is no indication yet of what they're likely to receive.

So who is building these stadiums that will make IGF obsolete?
Hey Esquire, Actually I'm not complaining about it just paraphrasing a comment made by a poster above^^^. where he talked about the new stadiums coming online in the future. I just don't always find it necessary to quote and use thier handle. But I will try to be more clear in the future. I actually agree with you?

Quote:
Danny D Oh "Kinda sucks we were the first to go, because Hamilton, Sask and Ottawa are all going to improve on IGF's shortcomings."

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
We'll see what happens in Regina. IG Field was built first, so naturally with lower costs. Regina will not get the same quality of stadium for the same price. I really don't know what more one could expect for $200M, IMO.

Hamilton's stadium has a budget of $150M and look what they're getting. Not that it's a complete hole, obviously brand new. Regina stadium has a budget of $278M. Will be interesting to see what they'll get. Maybe on the operational side to bringing a new stadium online (the parking debacle, etc, etc.) others will have a benefit.

In general, if a new stadium comes online 5 or 10 years after another one, you would expect they have learned from others past experiences. A la TNSE looking at other NHL teams books and operations in preparing for the NHL in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
We'll see what happens in Regina. IG Field was built first, so naturally with lower costs. Regina will not get the same quality of stadium for the same price. I really don't know what more one could expect for $200M, IMO.

Hamilton's stadium has a budget of $150M and look what they're getting. Not that it's a complete hole, obviously brand new. Regina stadium has a budget of $278M. Will be interesting to see what they'll get. Maybe on the operational side to bringing a new stadium online (the parking debacle, etc, etc.) others will have a benefit.

In general, if a new stadium comes online 5 or 10 years after another one, you would expect they have learned from others past experiences. A la TNSE looking at other NHL teams books and operations in preparing for the NHL in Winnipeg.
Good points. Maybe someone can quote the poster I quoted who disagrees with all of us?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Good points. Maybe someone can quote the poster I quoted who disagrees with all of us?
I think one thing they could learn from is keeping a local architect with no stadium experience from participating in a stadium design. Leave it to the people with experience, even if it was only for the wavy roof or whatever they did.

AND keeping the old boys club at bay is a good idea. Not to beat a dead horse, but what if Leo Ledohowski got a fair shot at building a stadium? I doubt we'd be where we are today.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 4:37 PM

Quote:
I think one thing they could learn from is keeping a local architect with no stadium experience from participating in a stadium design. Leave it to the people with experience, even if it was only for the wavy roof or whatever they did.

AND keeping the old boys club at bay is a good idea. Not to beat a dead horse, but what if Leo Ledohowski got a fair shot at building a stadium? I doubt we'd be where we are today.
Choices Wan, no stadium designing exp., in the end, bad move. Leo? Well, It could have been a different story, but we'll never know.Budget..was a major determining factor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan