HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Funny that someone could be considered cool, hip and a douchebag all at the same time.

It is weird, I believe the terminology was snob earlier on, haven't looked into the correlation on how douchebag > became snob ? Terminology and meaning seems to change on a daily basis with the advent and usage of the internet, speed and instant knowledge is available to all, what's current today is history tomorrow, according to teens in my immediate circle of acquaintances and family.

Back to the restauranteur thread.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 5:42 PM

Wasabi is going into the last space in the King Street parkade (beside Bronuts). Sounds like it will be more along the lines of their Osborne location as opposed to Taylor. Really gonna target the lunch and late night crowd.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Wasabi is going into the last space in the King Street parkade (beside Bronuts). Sounds like it will be more along the lines of their Osborne location as opposed to Taylor. Really gonna target the lunch and late night crowd.
Awesome news... glad they finally filled it up. The CRUs were empty for so long that I was beginning to wonder if anything was ever going to go in there...

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Speaking of Bronuts, has anyone ever been there? Only time I went there they didn't have any donuts or any intention of making more. Looking at their urban spoon page, its a common complaint that they'll run out of donuts early in the morning and never make more for hte rest of the time they're opened. Also a theme is the donuts are nothing special and the coffee is bad. Seems like an odd way to run a donut shop.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 7:20 PM

Domino's has started to renovated a site on Portage Ave just west of Sturgeon Rd. That area is sure attracting fast food chain attention lately with the new A&W and the announced Wendy's all within a short walk of each other.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Speaking of Bronuts, has anyone ever been there? Only time I went there they didn't have any donuts or any intention of making more. Looking at their urban spoon page, its a common complaint that they'll run out of donuts early in the morning and never make more for hte rest of the time they're opened. Also a theme is the donuts are nothing special and the coffee is bad. Seems like an odd way to run a donut shop.
Donut shop with no donuts and bad coffee? What is this, a money laundering front? A tax shelter?

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Donut shop with no donuts and bad coffee? What is this, a money laundering front? A tax shelter?
Damn hipsters....

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
These guys better come up with something other than donuts. Anybody who doesn't blanch at the thought of spending $2.75 on a donut is the same person who won't eat more than a few in a year. The only people who will eat donuts with any sort of regularity are those who won't pay you much more than $1.00.

Capitalizing on short term trends isn't generally a long-term business plan. We'll see how savvy these guys are in a few months when the novelty of eating gourmet donuts has worn off.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 8:45 PM

I also wonder if the donut place will last. It seems it would make a good pairing with a hipster coffee joint (Little Sister Coffee Maker/ Bronuts would've been a fun combo). I'm sure they will be fine over summer but the exchange is very slow for foot traffic in the winter.

I can't help but think of that cupcake joint in the village that closed after a couple years.

On a more positive note the sandwich place next door is great.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Capitalizing on short term trends isn't generally a long-term business plan.
If your startup/shutdown costs are low (which I can only assume is the case for all these hipster places) I assume it's pretty profitable to jump on one short term trend after another.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 9:47 PM

Has anybody tried the Brick and Whiskey for dinner in the 2100 block of Mc Phillips? I was there for there $5 lunch special on Tuesday and not bad.

I was told they have dinner specials from 6 to 8 pm but have not yet had a chance to try them.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Thought Robin's cornered that market.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
If your startup/shutdown costs are low (which I can only assume is the case for all these hipster places) I assume it's pretty profitable to jump on one short term trend after another.
I don't think it's that cheap. For one, they have to do their own leaseholds, so they're into it for that at the minimum. Not to mention space isn't cheap and they'll definitely be locked into a lease, so that's costly as well. Installing a commercial bakery that will generate an occupancy permit is definitely not cheap, but I have no idea whether they've done this or not or if they' baking somewhere else. Either way, printing money it's not. Selling donuts - unless you're Tim Hortons - is not how you get so rich that you can weather fickle tastes. Especially when you're running out of donuts. Even places like Cakeology have to cater to weddings and special occasions to make money. That's why I said we'll find out how savvy these guys are because they're going to have to be. $2.75 is not the new price floor on donuts.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 5:50 AM

Jenna Rae Cakes is an example of a relatively new (around one year I think) bake shop that is just printing money. Tens of thousands of Instagram followers, mentions on Martha Stewart's website, crazy line ups. Certainly the exception to the rule, but never under estimate the popularity of a trendy boutique store. My wife is crazy for the place. I've seen people drop $60 bucks on cupcakes and cookies without blinking there.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 3:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
I also wonder if the donut place will last. It seems it would make a good pairing with a hipster coffee joint (Little Sister Coffee Maker/ Bronuts would've been a fun combo). I'm sure they will be fine over summer but the exchange is very slow for foot traffic in the winter.

I can't help but think of that cupcake joint in the village that closed after a couple years.

On a more positive note the sandwich place next door is great.
the exchange this past winter was still buzzing this winter was quiet surprized hell its really been a buz so far this summer

and yea king + banntyn is amazing

the areas really changing...

now to find a friend(s) to have a evening at peasant cookery

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverUnder View Post
Jenna Rae Cakes is an example of a relatively new (around one year I think) bake shop that is just printing money. Tens of thousands of Instagram followers, mentions on Martha Stewart's website, crazy line ups. Certainly the exception to the rule, but never under estimate the popularity of a trendy boutique store. My wife is crazy for the place. I've seen people drop $60 bucks on cupcakes and cookies without blinking there.
Definitely the exception. Also quite a bit different. Wedding cakes and pastries aren't really trendy. Gourmet donuts? And don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting donuts themselves are a trend - I'm saying that fickle people who follow trends aren't going to spend $2.75 on donuts for long because donuts are terrible for you and eventually you look like you eat lots of them. Trendy people are nothing if not consumed with their aesthetic. People who eat donuts regularly eat them from Tim Hortons and pay $1.00 and don't care about the Exchange District.

Last edited by Simplicity; May 23, 2015 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverUnder View Post
I had never heard of this place until I read this post... then I passed by Jenna Rae Cakes later in the day and sure enough there was a line out the door. Later I went by Bronuts and there was a line out the door spilling out on King Street.

Is this the latest thing? Actually lining up for baked goods? Or are Soviet-style bread lines simply the natural outcome of 15 years of NDP rule? (I kid, I kid)

Seriously, if there's any kind of bakery item in this town worth lining up for, it's bagels from the Donut House on Selkirk. Heavenly.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 6:02 PM

Can't recall if it was posted elsewhere, but Winnipeg has had 2 new brewpub announcements in the past week... PEG Beer Co. on Pacific in the East Exchange, and Barn Hammer Brewing. As usual we're a little late to the trend, but now it's starting to happen.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/05/3...o-is-happening

Anyone remember our first brewpub, River City Brewing Co.?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 6:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Can't recall if it was posted elsewhere, but Winnipeg has had 2 new brewpub announcements in the past week... PEG Beer Co. on Pacific in the East Exchange, and Barn Hammer Brewing. As usual we're a little late to the trend, but now it's starting to happen.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/05/3...o-is-happening

Anyone remember our first brewpub, River City Brewing Co.?
The article also mentions a third being planned as well. Good news. Both new brewpubs are in my general area of work/home - so that is especially positive.

I do remember River City. It started with great fanfare, and decent beer, but it went downhill relatively quickly IMO - especially the quality of the beer.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 3:23 AM

Freshii Is Opening Third Location In Winnipeg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan