HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 9:49 PM

Final Touches on Saskatoon Airport Facelift

Written by Mitchell Wrishko, saskatoonhomepage.ca

Monday, 06 April 2015

Well, the airport expansion is all but complete.

There is already two popular coffee shops and a restaurant open after you get through security in addition to increased seating and an increase in the number of gates.

Plus, there will be a 3,000 square foot duty free store opening in May.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/fina...lift/itemid_21

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:56 PM

Another ULCC

Apparently another start up airline looking to serve YQR/YXE in a limited capacity. I have my doubts that this will get going, but here is the link anyway.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/ne...728b8fa47.html

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Apparently another start up airline looking to serve YQR/YXE in a limited capacity. I have my doubts that this will get going, but here is the link anyway.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/ne...728b8fa47.html
I dunno, it sounds realistic in the short term at least. My read on this is that they will be using Flair's planes, crews, etc. so they are ready to go. Flair flies workers in and out of Ft. Mac now. I expect their business is way down and they are looking at ways to keep their planes flying.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I dunno, it sounds realistic in the short term at least. My read on this is that they will be using Flair's planes, crews, etc. so they are ready to go. Flair flies workers in and out of Ft. Mac now. I expect their business is way down and they are looking at ways to keep their planes flying.
Flair must have some idle aircraft. Are they not related to Kelowna Fliighrcraft who recently lost the Purolator account. Likely a number of staff and equipment idle at airports across the country.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Flair must have some idle aircraft. Are they not related to Kelowna Fliighrcraft who recently lost the Purolator account. Likely a number of staff and equipment idle at airports across the country.
North Cariboo out of YYC is largely sitting idle due to the lack of flights within the oil patch. (7 of their aircraft are suddenly for sale.)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
North Cariboo out of YYC is largely sitting idle due to the lack of flights within the oil patch. (7 of their aircraft are suddenly for sale.)
I suppose the potential market area for selling an aircraft is a lot bigger than trying to sell a truck if your region is in a slump. Could these aircraft in theory be for sale globally? or is the resale market for aircraft realistically smaller?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
I suppose the potential market area for selling an aircraft is a lot bigger than trying to sell a truck if your region is in a slump. Could these aircraft in theory be for sale globally? or is the resale market for aircraft realistically smaller?
Aircraft can be sold or purchased to and from any country in the world. There is a whole kaleidoscope of formalities with regards to the importation of aircraft though.

(I'd bet that North Korea may be rather difficult to deal with reference to such matters. Lol.)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
There are several websites with commercial aircraft for sale. One such example is https://www.globalair.com/aircraft_f..._Aircraft.html
It's interesting to see how much used aircraft are selling for.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 5:17 PM

A little news from RAA in L-P:

Regina airport’s traffic rises for 10th consecutive year; expansion possible
BY WILL CHABUN, LEADER-POST APRIL 24, 2015 8:05 AM

REGINA — For the 10th consecutive year, the Regina Airport Authority saw more passenger traffic in and out of the city, its annual general meeting heard Thursday.

Passenger movements last year hit 1.262 million, up 2.9 per cent over 2013.

2015 will see the authority doing design and preparatory work, “to get to the stage, in two or three years from now, when we actually expand the terminal,” airport authority chair Ken Waschuk said.

That work will include altering the terminal in preparation for a new baggage screening system, constructing a pair of multitenant buildings plus work toward the relocation of Taxiway C, which goes from a point near the terminal to the hangar line.

Besides making room for an expanded terminal building, moving the taxiway will create the possibility of commercial lots for hangars holding corporate aircraft, including jets.

more ...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 6:24 AM

Earlier this evening, I arrived back in YXE from the 'States. Anyway, the customs area is very nicely laid out - and it has two belt-type baggage carousels; in fact, it closely resembles the pre-screening area. It's not 'beautiful', but it works.

The terminal has [at the moment] FIVE belt-type carousels, four of which are accessible at this time. (Plus three over-size chutes.)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 9:41 PM

Saskatoon airport renovations done, new terminal ready for take-off

By Joelle Tomlinson, Global News

April 29, 2015

SASKATOON – After 34 months of construction, renovations at Saskatoon’s John G. Diefenbaker International Airport are complete and the terminal is ready for take-off.

The new terminal features a brand new security scanning area, and an enhanced post-security area. New food and beverage options are available in the form of Starbucks and Refuel, a custom-designed restaurant that features built-in authentic aircraft parts. The bar bulkhead is a 27-inch plane wing from a DeHavilland Otter, believed to be a retired RCMP aircraft from the 1960s.

“As a sparkplug of the economic engine here in the community we needed to have a facility that allows for international trade and the movement of goods and people throughout the globe,” said Saskatoon Airport Authority CEO Steve Maybury.

[........]

Read more:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1967925/sa...-for-take-off/

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 9:12 PM
ConstructionPete

Air Transat Adds Additional Service Winter 2015

Today, Air Transat announced its new flight program for winter 2015-2016. Air Transat will add a Saskatoon to Santa Clara flight to its schedule. Regina will see a flight to Huatulco. Read more...

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
Today, Air Transat announced its new flight program for winter 2015-2016. Air Transat will add a Saskatoon to Santa Clara flight to its schedule. Regina will see a flight to Huatulco. Read more...
With the introduction of B737s to the fleet, Air Transat will now be far more flexible.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 6:29 PM

I hate to admit this, but does anyone know as to what is happening to the south of YQR's terminal? (There's a plethora of equipment on the 'grassy' area in front of the fire hall.)

Thanks.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 7:54 PM

Here is some news on aviation museum

http://www.newstalk650.com/story/sas...-ground/555899

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 5:49 PM

Hey guys. Do any of you know anything with as to whether (or not) YXE's passenger totals include other passenger-related facilities at the airport? ( . . such as West Wind Aviation.)

Thanks!

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 9:50 PM

This is a video I came across. No idea who posted it, why or where it come from. I am assuming it is an internal Air Canada motivational thing to try to teach customer service. Does anyone know if this event actually happened?

I am also assuming that is DC-9 at Regina in the video?

https://youtu.be/R5ZDSB5JeW8

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 6:00 PM

LOL That video is hilarious.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
This is a video I came across. No idea who posted it, why or where it come from. I am assuming it is an internal Air Canada motivational thing to try to teach customer service. Does anyone know if this event actually happened?

I am also assuming that is DC-9 at Regina in the video?

https://youtu.be/R5ZDSB5JeW8
Hahaha!!!! That is awesome! Lol!

Yes, that is in Regina alright. Moreover, the C-150: C-GWXQ, is, and still is, a Regina Flying Club trainer.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 4:16 PM

For those of you who fly to Toronto a fair amount, you will be happy to know that the red eye from YQR to YYZ starts tomorrow morning, June 3rd. The flight leaves YQR at 1:40 and arrives in YYZ at 6:41. It will be interesting to see if this flight will work for Air Canada or not. Regardless, it does give another non-stop flight between the two cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan