HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 12:55 AM

Didn’t Canada buy into pretty much every vaccine that is or will be available. What more can you do?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 12:55 AM

US vaccinated 2.3M...today...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
US vaccinated 2.3M...today...
61,000 here, though BC doesn’t report on weekends so in reality it may be over 70k.

We’re ramping up.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:22 AM

The US also benefits from manufacturing some or a lot of their needs, at least with Pfizer. We are entirely dependent on imports.

I also wonder how we are doing at utilizing all our vaccines. This was brought to mind when I was listening to a podcast and this actor/producer from Toronto has been in the US the last little while for work. He mentioned on the podcast this week that he got the vaccine, I think in California, this past week. He said where he was, he was able to sign up online for basically a stand-by list. The local vaccination authority, whoever it is, says that they have to use the vaccines within a certain time, and if the people that were planned to come in that day don't, they call up people on the standby list and offer them a chance to get in right away. How he managed to get in, being a Canadian, I don't know, but it's probable that he had to pay out of pocket. I have no idea how it works for the second shot a few weeks from now. Maybe getting the first shot puts him in the queue for the second, or maybe he's on his own for figuring that out, I wish he had said.

He also said that at one of the filming locations, they gave him a finger prick blood test that not only told him if he was COVID positive, but also said whether he was ever COVID positive (I guess for however far back that test can reasonably tell that anyway). That would be a cool test to have.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 4:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
61,000 here, though BC doesn’t report on weekends so in reality it may be over 70k.

We’re ramping up.
We might be ramping up, but let's get real here.

70,000 vaccinations vs 2,300,000 vaccinations.

The US has 9x the population of Canada, but delivered 33x the number of vaccinations of Canada yesterday.

This is a national embarrassment!

If we were vaccinating at the same rate as the US, we should have administered 257,000 doses yesterday..........

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The US has 9x the population of Canada, but delivered 33x the number of vaccinations of Canada yesterday.

If we were vaccinating at the same rate as the US, we should have administered 257,000 doses yesterday..........
I don't think we're capable of embarrassment.

I'm sure someone will soon point out that our vaccination rates are higher than that of El Salvador, and that we shouldn't expect any better.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Agreed, and I intend to vote against any party cutting taxes when they could instead the beefing up infrastructure necessary for emergency situations.

Some industries/infrastructure is worth subsidizing just to keep capacity around.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:23 PM

Someone a while back asked me if I was voting NDP? Never, not on your life, after what Jagmeet Singh did this past year, propping up Trudeau, when he should have been forcing an election; I’ve lost all faith in that man and his party. Niki Ashton going to Greece in December for Christmas while the military was being deployed into her riding to deal with one of the worst outbreaks in the country, just disgusts me. And provincially the NDP have fucked this province so bad, Manitoba hydro is almost $25 billion in debt directly because of their incompetence. Almost a quarter of our working population works for the government, because of all the bureaucracies they’ve created. Everytime we get a transfer payment from Ottawa, teachers, nurses, police all start jumping up and down as their all gonna get raises. If I was a Canadian seeing what was going on with my tax dollars in Manitoba I’d be pissed.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:29 PM

And people really gotta stop settling for shitty government, accept it, your precious liberal party shit the bed. They failed Canadians. 22,000 and counting. You really gotta question your standards if you think Canada’s response was acceptable, what if this thing did have a death rate of 10%? WE WOULD HAVE BEEN FUCKED. We had the knowledge, the technology, and the infrastructure to stop this shit in its tracks, and we failed, in 500 years people will call us out in the history books, as the selfish rich idiots that couldn’t stay home.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 3:02 PM
More transit please

Quote:

Ok, what should have been done to change that? Criticism is fair but when nobody has an alternative it becomes tiresome very quickly.

We have no domestic vaccine production capacity contrarily to the U.S. Why are we comparing ourselves to them?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 3:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Ok, what should have been done to change that? Criticism is fair but when nobody has an alternative it becomes tiresome very quickly.

We have no domestic vaccine production capacity contrarily to the U.S. Why are we comparing ourselves to them?
Because whining about the government is all we can do at this juncture. I don't think the feds are really fantastic (The Liberals make me vaguely nauseous), but I know we're up a creek of excrement with no paddle, so might as well deal with it. What's that military phrase? "Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining."

Now, the real question is: Would the same whiners still be complaining if they preferred the political leanings of the powers that be?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 3:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post

Most of our problems are self inflicted, and directly related to our government's relationship to big pharma.

I know that "big pharma" tends to be viewed in a very negative light in Canada, being prime examples of insatiable corporate greed. Some of this is valid, but at the same time, R&D is incredibly expensive, especially when expansive clinical trials lasting a decade may be necessary for a new drug to market to gain approval, with no guarantee of success.

JT apparently (to his credit) tried on numerous occasions to convince the vaccine manufacturers to allow licensed production at a Canadian facility, but in nearly every instance he was completely unsuccessful. He however did not attempt to negotiate with these corporations to "sweeten the deal" by enhancing intellectual property protection, or improving corporate profitability for pharmaceutical companies operating in the country in return. I think this would have been helpful.

Whether you love or hate big pharma, there is no question that pharmaceutical companies operating within a country can provide a large number of well paid scientific and technological job opportunities. Unfortunately, in Canada, a lot of these jobs have drifted to the US or overseas over the last 25 years or so. This is because R&D in Canada is no longer profitable.

Brand name pharmaceuticals in Canada have limited copyright protection, and group purchasing companies who supply the provincial medicare systems tend to prefer generic producers who lowball prices to secure sales. Generic producers do no R&D. Their cost structure is therefore a lot less. The brand name pharmaceutical companies cannot compete. Why would they invest in Canada????

I am no fan of big pharma, and I hate how orphan diseases get no research on potential cures because it isn't cost effective. This is outrageous, but, they do have a point when it comes to the fact that R&D is costly and their intellectual property requires protection. JT should have offered them some sort of a deal to allow the vaccines to be produced domestically.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 3:26 PM

1062 cases in ON today

-20 deaths
-49.2k tests processed
-Positivity rate of 2.4%
-627 in hospital (-53)
-289 in ICU (+13)

-687k doses of vaccines administered (+19k)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 4:16 PM

US approved JNJ and will theoretically have enough supply to vaccinate everyone eligible by April 30th. I doubt they will be able to roll them out that fast, but it might lead to increased exports elsewhere (ie: Canada).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Someone a while back asked me if I was voting NDP? Never, not on your life, after what Jagmeet Singh did this past year, propping up Trudeau, when he should have been forcing an election; I’ve lost all faith in that man and his party. Niki Ashton going to Greece in December for Christmas while the military was being deployed into her riding to deal with one of the worst outbreaks in the country, just disgusts me. And provincially the NDP have fucked this province so bad, Manitoba hydro is almost $25 billion in debt directly because of their incompetence. Almost a quarter of our working population works for the government, because of all the bureaucracies they’ve created. Everytime we get a transfer payment from Ottawa, teachers, nurses, police all start jumping up and down as their all gonna get raises. If I was a Canadian seeing what was going on with my tax dollars in Manitoba I’d be pissed.
That was me. I called out this bullshit statement by somebody who's obviously a CPC supporter:

Quote:
Choose a candidate that is going to represent YOU. Not bell, not car companies, not banks. YOU.
Cool rant, zero solutions.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
US approved JNJ and will theoretically have enough supply to vaccinate everyone eligible by April 30th. I doubt they will be able to roll them out that fast, but it might lead to increased exports elsewhere (ie: Canada).
I think this will happen too.

I have no idea what our Q1 options are for J&J, but with approval coming in the next week it would be nice to get at least 100k doses before April 1.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 4:50 PM
digital b0y

Quebec reports 737 new cases with 9 deaths

Montreal 317
Laval 99
Laurentides 79
Montérégie 78
Lanaudière 43

601 in hospital (+2)
117 in ICU (+5)

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 6:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

7 new cases, but more recoveries. 262 active cases.

There has been a seventh death however the province will not be adding it to the COVID-19 total because while the individual did test positive, COVID was not the primary factor in their death. They were admitted to hospital for an unrelated emergency.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitboy View Post
Quebec reports 737 new cases with 9 deaths

Montreal 317
Laval 99
Laurentides 79
Montérégie 78
Lanaudière 43

601 in hospital (+2)
117 in ICU (+5)
Much better numbers , happy to see them coming down.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Most of our problems are self inflicted, and directly related to our government's relationship to big pharma.

I know that "big pharma" tends to be viewed in a very negative light in Canada, being prime examples of insatiable corporate greed. Some of this is valid, but at the same time, R&D is incredibly expensive, especially when expansive clinical trials lasting a decade may be necessary for a new drug to market to gain approval, with no guarantee of success.

JT apparently (to his credit) tried on numerous occasions to convince the vaccine manufacturers to allow licensed production at a Canadian facility, but in nearly every instance he was completely unsuccessful. He however did not attempt to negotiate with these corporations to "sweeten the deal" by enhancing intellectual property protection, or improving corporate profitability for pharmaceutical companies operating in the country in return. I think this would have been helpful.

Whether you love or hate big pharma, there is no question that pharmaceutical companies operating within a country can provide a large number of well paid scientific and technological job opportunities. Unfortunately, in Canada, a lot of these jobs have drifted to the US or overseas over the last 25 years or so. This is because R&D in Canada is no longer profitable.

Brand name pharmaceuticals in Canada have limited copyright protection, and group purchasing companies who supply the provincial medicare systems tend to prefer generic producers who lowball prices to secure sales. Generic producers do no R&D. Their cost structure is therefore a lot less. The brand name pharmaceutical companies cannot compete. Why would they invest in Canada????

I am no fan of big pharma, and I hate how orphan diseases get no research on potential cures because it isn't cost effective. This is outrageous, but, they do have a point when it comes to the fact that R&D is costly and their intellectual property requires protection. JT should have offered them some sort of a deal to allow the vaccines to be produced domestically.
Your points are fair arguments. I don't necessarily agree with doing everything you mentioned at this time but they certainly are options that could be looked at. If only the federal oppositions parties would bring up ideas like that which could be debated, studied and voted on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada