HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:27 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
That's great news. I think they built it too small. 25k would have been a good number. I wonder if they can add more seating in other locations throughout the stadium?
I think they pretty much will max out the design at 22,000. Seeing the initial ticket response (over 30,000 season ticket deposits in less than 24-hours) and having over 10,000 on a season ticket waiting list - I agree, they should have entered a small redesigned phase to expand the initial design to at least a 25,000 seats. Maybe even a 30,000 seat stadium.

However, I understand that they want every seat taken for each match. The bigger they build, the higher the chance for empty seats (on occasion).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 6:55 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I think they pretty much will max out the design at 22,000. Seeing the initial ticket response (over 30,000 season ticket deposits in less than 24-hours) and having over 10,000 on a season ticket waiting list - I agree, they should have entered a small redesigned phase to expand the initial design to at least a 25,000 seats. Maybe even a 30,000 seat stadium.

However, I understand that they want every seat taken for each match. The bigger they build, the higher the chance for empty seats (on occasion).
The fuller the stadium feels, the more atmosphere it has. Nothing more can kill the atmosphere at a stadium that seeing rows and rows of empty seats. Adding seats later can be done if attendance stays high.

Check out what has been happening at the Redskins stadium outside DC. When the team was performing well, the seats were full. then the team started backsliding to mid-pack and eventually to rock bottom; not only are the seats empty, there are 1/4 fewer seats in the stadium. Overbuilding is a danger all teams, no matter the sport, should avoid.

Also, this team is new now. When the newness wears off, fewer fans will show up to watch. Just like when CapMetro first introduce MetroRail. Ridership peaked then fell to a point of fairly steady consistency. Finding that point will take time to find out as real fans pay to watch a real game. Then the process of finding out what the sweet price for a ticket starts, because their goal is selling every seat and not one too much or one too little at the highest price possible.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 1:46 PM

The stadium is expandable. They can add a second tier of seats above the concourse on the north building. Changes were made to the plans after the strong ticket reservation response. The second floor of the north building was going to be AFC offices, with windows overlooking the pitch. Now it is a mezzanine in the retail space and a beer hall. The windows were replaced with a solid wall because it is very likely an upper stand will be added in the near future.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The stadium is expandable. They can add a second tier of seats above the concourse on the north building. Changes were made to the plans after the strong ticket reservation response. The second floor of the north building was going to be AFC offices, with windows overlooking the pitch. Now it is a mezzanine in the retail space and a beer hall. The windows were replaced with a solid wall because it is very likely an upper stand will be added in the near future.
Right, that’s the mostly planned expansion that would take it from 20500 to 22k.

But apparently it maxes out at that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they set up some ticketed outside viewing screens after that (there’s enough green space) but that doesn’t really count.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Right, that’s the mostly planned expansion that would take it from 20500 to 22k.

But apparently it maxes out at that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they set up some ticketed outside viewing screens after that (there’s enough green space) but that doesn’t really count.
After adding the 1500 seats in the north end I don't see any real possibility of expanding elsewhere in the stadium. Possibly in the corners with decks but it would be sketchy. The roof prevents any upward expansion like adding another deck. Seeing how Sacramento decided not to move forward with the acquisition of an MLS expansion team in the city because of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic makes 22K look pretty good right now.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
To add to Novacek said...the expansion to which I was referring had to do with the north side of the stadium (it outlined that fact in the press release I linked). Beyond that, the stadium is maxed out - due to the roof.

I do agree with Novacek that creating a ticketed area with screens outside the stadium could be a possibility - à la Jerry's World in Arlington. That is how AT&T Stadium achieves crowds of more than 80,000 (the seating capacity of the stadium) - standing room only areas and gated outdoor viewing areas.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
To add to Novacek said...the expansion to which I was referring had to do with the north side of the stadium (it outlined that fact in the press release I linked). Beyond that, the stadium is maxed out - due to the roof.

I do agree with Novacek that creating a ticketed area with screens outside the stadium could be a possibility - à la Jerry's World in Arlington. That is how AT&T Stadium achieves crowds of more than 80,000 (the seating capacity of the stadium) - standing room only areas and gated outdoor viewing areas.
Sorry, I guess I missed your original post.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I missed your original post.
No prob!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 7:40 PM

The "ATX" seat pattern is finally going in.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
The "ATX" seat pattern is finally going in.

It looks like an 'H' to me.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 1:49 PM

I can't wait for Austin FC to dominate the local landscape and balance out some of the college football stuff I'm so fkin pumped for the first games!! ahhhhh!!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 3:41 PM

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
It looks like an 'H' to me.
Hmm, nope. Definitely an A.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:19 PM

Austin FC Announces First-Ever Regular Season Match In Club History and Historic First-Ever Match at Q2 Stadium

https://www.austinfc.com/post/2021/0...historic-first

Austin FC, the 27th club in Major League Soccer (MLS), announced today it will make its historic MLS debut on the road on Saturday, April 17, against the 2019 MLS Supporters’ Shield winners and 2020 CONCACAF Champions League runner-up, LAFC, at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles. The match will be broadcast nationally on FOX and FOX Deportes at 4:30pm CST.

The Club also announced that Austin FC will play its highly anticipated home opener, presented by Q2, on Saturday, June 19, against the San Jose Earthquakes in a nationally televised match on UniMás and TUDN, starting at 8:00pm CST at Q2 Stadium

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:03 PM

This Fri, Sat & Sun there is some type of Austin FC promotional lighting display projecting from the parking lot next to IHOP onto the south side of the Fairmont. There was a special events permit for this. But no other details.

EDIT: The dates have changed to 03/18 to 03/21.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:54 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This Fri, Sat & Sun there is some type of Austin FC promotional lighting display projecting from the parking lot next to IHOP onto the south side of the Fairmont. There was a special events permit for this. But no other details.

EDIT: The dates have changed to 03/18 to 03/21.
The Fairmont is the official hotel for Austin FC's training camp. Practices are being held at St. Edwards University. I believe those dates coincide with the first two preseason scrimmages versus USL sides OKC & Louisville. Both games taking place at St. Edwards University. All the teams are/will "bubble" at The Fairmont .

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 6:33 PM

There is a new City of Austin General Permit Application for a new sidewalk that will be very beneficial for foot traffic to the new Q2 Stadium (Permit 2021-036432 GP). As noted in an attached City of Austin memorandum dated 3/9/2021, “The scope of work includes construction of new sidewalk approximately 1,000 ft in length on the south side of Braker Lane only, between the railroad tracks and Kramer Lane, and installation of ADA ramps….The project is anticipated to start construction April 2021 with completion by May 2021….This project is a high priority for ATD Management and is on a critical timeline and needs to be constructed before end of May, 2021, in order to support game day opening for soccer at the McKalla Stadium. We request that you provide the General Permit approval expeditiously, pending review and approval of the TCPs.”

The link to the City of Austin for this Permit Application and attached documents can be found in the following link:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=3257486

Cheers!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 9:27 PM

Uncommon angle, from McKalla Place, taken yesterday.

Larger version: https://i.imgur.com/zapZPik.jpg

Larger version: https://i.imgur.com/pBGAojH.jpg

Also, good news! The Paragon Printing shop is all fenced up so it looks like that may be torn down and redeveloped. Hopefully into some kind of watering hole so we can pregame there.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

Also, good news! The Paragon Printing shop is all fenced up so it looks like that may be torn down and redeveloped. Hopefully into some kind of watering hole so we can pregame there.
Looks like that property was purchased in January 2019. By a "10423 MCKALLA PLACE LP"

Unlike the properties along Burnet, no obvious link to Precourt at first glance.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 1:33 AM

Thought I just read an article that they were complaining how the driveway to the stadium was right at their front door and they were looking to re-arrange the fencing. It didn't say anything about tearing it down or the business closing or moving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin