HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 8:11 PM

Society rots from the top down, not the bottom up. In order for things to change, everything has to. In Canada we’ve created a dual class system, those who work for the government and everyone else. We have police crying they are over worked and lack supports, yet if we said okay, we’ll cut your wages so you don’t have to work so hard and hire more staff so your jobs are safer and easier… not one would agree to it. Same with teachers… they’re joining the six digit club no too across Canada… complain all the time about classrooms sizes being too big, and so overworked, yet they take raise after raise after raise instead of putting that money into more teachers. These people are the reason we can’t have nice things in this country. Like proper highways or mental health programs. They’re no different than the politicians all pigs at the trough.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Dont blame WPS, blame soft hearted huggers who dont believe in justice. WPS and majority other police forces have hands tied. look at the videos frm Ottawa mall on the weeken, Palestine Hamas supporters threatning to kill the cops right to their face.

...and Wab Kinew wants to bring in more of these people?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 11:07 PM

The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt
Leviticus 19:34

I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.
Matthew 25:35

...and a Merry Christmas to all

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Last edited by pspeid; Dec 21, 2023 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I question this. On the surface it looks like more people=fewer housing options, but how many people find themselves out of the housing market due to prices? How many developers choose to build larger numbers of affordable housing units when they can possibly make more money building a fewer numbers of more expensive houses?

In my work I frequently see new Canadians working hard to improve their skills in a number of areas in order to build a prosperous life for themselves and their families. Personally I simply can't blame the housing crisis on bringing in "too many people". We're a country, not a hotel, we can grow.
Like it or not there is already a housing shortage in the country. This not an opinion it's a fact. Also, many immigrants to Canada are already coming with money to purchase a home. We see many new developents in winnipeg being bought up by recent immigrants. It's not about blaming new comers but the massive amount of people coming will make the housng shortage worse. The working class as always will be the most effected.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 1:16 AM

Quote:
The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt

I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.
Matthew 25:35

l
Your biblical quotes would apply to refugees, not the wealthy immigrants that are pouring into Canada driving up costs on everything. The same immigrants who would not welcome you or me into their homelands.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Oooowwww, that's a good one I haven't heard before.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Like it or not there is already a housing shortage in the country. This not an opinion it's a fact. Also, many immigrants to Canada are already coming with money to purchase a home. We see many new developents in winnipeg being bought up by recent immigrants. It's not about blaming new comers but the massive amount of people coming will make the housng shortage worse. The working class as always will be the most effected.
Correct. It's all about supply and demand. The Government really needs to step up, and create incentives for building more residential homes. Otherwise, we are going to be in for a World of hurt.

Not trying to single out pspeid, but there are far too many people that cannot see the forest from the trees, and take aim at the people who are voicing their concern in regards to the record number of people Canada is admitting. I mean has anyone seen the explosion of tent cities, homelessness, and drug addiction in the past few years?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Seems like Lusito is right:

Here's an article that breaks down the categories of immigrants coming to Canada. The majority of immigrants coming to Canada are "economic migrants", people recruited to fill specific jobs or start businesses (another link describing what 'economic migrants" are, below).

https://globalnews.ca/news/10084659/...get-breakdown/

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....%20to%20Canada.)

In Manitoba 16% of new home buyers were recent immigrants:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...otia%20(6.0%25).

So what to make of the numbers? They seem to show immigrant new home buying does have an effect on the supply in the marketplace, as does lower initial cost relative to other parts of the country (our famous, or infamous, low cost of housing).

HOWEVER, I still think we have to be very careful about framing this as an "immigrant" thing, where the "solution" is to cut back on immigration. Historically there's always been the myth about "THOSE people" entering Canada, taking "OUR jobs" and bringing "THEIR crime/bad habits/odd clothing/whatever" with them.Uncertainty about immigration/immigrants tends to be a fertile ground for fear-mongering, which ultimately is just another justification for hatred.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Society rots from the top down, not the bottom up. In order for things to change, everything has to. In Canada we’ve created a dual class system, those who work for the government and everyone else. We have police crying they are over worked and lack supports, yet if we said okay, we’ll cut your wages so you don’t have to work so hard and hire more staff so your jobs are safer and easier… not one would agree to it. Same with teachers… they’re joining the six digit club no too across Canada… complain all the time about classrooms sizes being too big, and so overworked, yet they take raise after raise after raise instead of putting that money into more teachers. These people are the reason we can’t have nice things in this country. Like proper highways or mental health programs. They’re no different than the politicians all pigs at the trough.
lol this is so out of touch. Most people working in healthcare right now would kill to have one of the many cushy white-collar private sector jobs.

The reason we can't afford to fund public projects is CORPORATE TAX AVOIDANCE. Period. Every year wealth in this country, like most places, is more and more concentrated in large companies who are better and better at avoiding taxes. The largest companies in Canada pay an effective tax rate of 15% so you and I have to pick up the slack. The annual taxes we miss out on due to a tax code that heavily favors corporations is more than all teacher's salaries in the country combined.
https://financialpost.com/opinion/th...ate-tax-reform
https://www.taxfairness.ca/en/resour...n-corporations

In the 50s, corporations and individuals paid roughly equal shares into gov't revenue. Today, individuals have to pay 3.5x more than the corporate deadbeats.
https://projects.thestar.com/canadas...han-you-think/

The amount stashed in Luxembourg alone is 4x more than all teacher's salaries in Canada combined.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...nce-luxembourg

Oh and don't forget the billions in annual subsidies to the oil & gas industry among a lot of other corporate welfare.

And these obscenely wealthy want you to do exactly what you're doing, blame regular people for making a decent living and pay no attention to the billions they're stashing. Get regular people fighting amongst themselves while Suncor, Enbridge, Bell, Rogers, Telus etc are laughing all the way to the offshore banks.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 6:29 PM

^ Well said!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 4:24 AM
Back from the dead

It's not an immigrant problem.

I'm not blind: inviting half a million immigrants into the country during a housing crisis is obviously not going to help the situation and, just as obviously, is going to make things worse. That, however, is actually somewhat beside the point: The real issue is that we allow "investors" to buy up every home that comes on the market, don't build enough housing in the first place, and even what we do build is of no use to the average person since it's mostly "luxury" housing.

It's a vanishingly small number of people who truly earn the amount of money necessary to afford a new home. These are essentially the elites. Now, I have nothing against people who can afford to buy one of these new homes but at some point somebody has to ask where the rest of us are supposed to live. The fact that the "investors" are buying up the homes we would buy if they didn't outbid us and then renting them back to us at significant mark up is what the government should be addressing. However, we literally put the landlords in charge of housing in this country so of course they're going to act in their own interests, actual job be damned (along with the Canadian population)

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 10:46 PM

This is a real eye opener!

'Worst-ever' affordability levels: Only 22 per cent of Ont. households can afford a single-family home
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/worst-eve...home-1.6697313

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
lol this is so out of touch. Most people working in healthcare right now would kill to have one of the many cushy white-collar private sector jobs.

The reason we can't afford to fund public projects is CORPORATE TAX AVOIDANCE. Period. Every year wealth in this country, like most places, is more and more concentrated in large companies who are better and better at avoiding taxes. The largest companies in Canada pay an effective tax rate of 15% so you and I have to pick up the slack. The annual taxes we miss out on due to a tax code that heavily favors corporations is more than all teacher's salaries in the country combined.
https://financialpost.com/opinion/th...ate-tax-reform
https://www.taxfairness.ca/en/resour...n-corporations

In the 50s, corporations and individuals paid roughly equal shares into gov't revenue. Today, individuals have to pay 3.5x more than the corporate deadbeats.
https://projects.thestar.com/canadas...han-you-think/

The amount stashed in Luxembourg alone is 4x more than all teacher's salaries in Canada combined.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...nce-luxembourg

Oh and don't forget the billions in annual subsidies to the oil & gas industry among a lot of other corporate welfare.

And these obscenely wealthy want you to do exactly what you're doing, blame regular people for making a decent living and pay no attention to the billions they're stashing. Get regular people fighting amongst themselves while Suncor, Enbridge, Bell, Rogers, Telus etc are laughing all the way to the offshore banks.
lol regular people are not making 100,000 a year with benefits. You think I’m wrong… lol why do the police need protection and secure parking around their freaking headquarters? Do they really need to be told to Do their fucking jobs.

You complain our taxes are too low? Look at tax to gdp ratios, it ain’t too low. It’s much higher than the United States, yet we have shit infrastructure and unacceptably long healthcare wait times. People die in our emergency rooms waiting for care.

Money in this country is wasted left right and centre. And there is zero people holding any of these assholes accountable.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 6:07 PM

Quote:
lol regular people are not making 100,000 a year with benefits.
Neither are the vast majority of teachers, but you keep citing the absolute top of the pay scale as if that's what all teachers are making. Average teacher in Canada is around $60k.

Quote:
You complain our taxes are too low? Look at tax to gdp ratios, it ain’t too low. It’s much higher than the United States
No I didn't, I said YOUR taxes are high because corporate taxes are low. Corporate taxes are in fact lower in Canada than in the US.

Quote:
Money in this country is wasted left right and centre. And there is zero people holding any of these assholes accountable.
I mean, you're right. Billions per year in oil & gas subsidies. But you want to go after school teachers lmao.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 6:32 PM

Population of Canadian CMA on October 1, 2023:

Toronto: 6,974,900
Montreal: 4,519,000
Vancouver: 2,963,600
Calgary: 1,698,000
Edmonton: 1,598,200
Ottawa-Gatineau: 1,564,400
Winnipeg: 904,200

Quebec: 877,000
Hamilton: 853,300

Kitchener: 647,900
London: 600,500
Halifax: 500,100

St.Catherines-Niagara 469,300
Oshawa: 466,200
Victoria 440,900

Windsor 379,200
Saskatoon: 359,600
Regina: 277,900
Kelowna: 245,600
Barrie: 237,000

Blue: population is likely greater than what is posted
Red: population is likely less than what is posted

Last edited by BlackDog204; Jan 3, 2024 at 11:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 6:55 PM

I am impressed with the growth of London, Kitchener and Halifax. Specially Halifax. I am not sure what is pushing the growth out there but it's nice to see it growing. I remember when there were articles about Halifax losing people.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 7:20 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
I am impressed with the growth of London, Kitchener and Halifax. Specially Halifax. I am not sure what is pushing the growth out there but it's nice to see it growing. I remember when there were articles about Halifax losing people.
The primary driver of population growth in the Atlantic provinces and the Western ones, too, for that matter, is the insane cost of living and housing in particular. People are asking themselves why they want to spend hundreds of thousands of extra dollars on a house in Toronto when they can get pretty much all the benefits of living in Toronto but at a fraction of the cost. In that sense, the affordability crisis is actually producing some positive results as it's spreading the population out. Overall, of course, its a shit show but thankfully the government in Ottawa doesn't care about anybody but big business owners and their own, personal interests.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Population of Canadian CMA on October 1, 2023:

Toronto: 6,974,900
Montreal: 4,519,000
Vancouver: 2,963,600
Calgary: 1,698,000
Edmonton: 1,598,200
Ottawa-Gatineau: 1,564,400
Winnipeg: 904,200

Quebec: 877,000
Hamilton: 853,300

Kitchener: 647,900
London: 600,500
Halifax: 500,100

St.Catherines-Niagara 469,300
Oshawa: 466,200
Victoria 440,900

Windsor 379,200
Saskatoon: 359,600
Regina: 277,900
Kelowna: 245,600
Barrie: 237,000

Blue: population is likely greater than what is posted
Red: population is likely less than what is posted
Based on this, which I agree, Winnipeg should have 918,000 in a few days...by years end / Jan 01 2024.
Also, for the May 2026 Census even with a slightly slower growth we might get closer to 1 million than we otherwise thought. Minimum 960,000 for sure.
While immigration is still strong and our population is increasing fairly rapidly, now would be the time to move on filling the downtown full or residential also while cleaning it up big time. This is a missed opportunity. Not easy to do but necessary....because investors and visitors judge a city by its downtown.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Dec 29, 2023 at 9:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 9:11 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Okay, so who wants to bet Winnipeg will reach 1 million people by 2027?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 12:09 AM

Found the answer to the question I had here in another thread!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan