HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 7:56 PM

Zoomable versions of those images can be found in the USCDL (see here and here). They're dated as 1891, as is the additional image below which is captioned "Towne Avenue looking south from Fifth Street, Los Angeles, ca.1891".

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The club's later incarnation as the Starwood gets a couple of mentions earlier in the thread, but if there were any pictures, they are gone now. Not long before it closed, the Starwood was redressed as a new wave club called 'Breaking Point' for a season 5 episode of CHiPs. It was run by Doug McClure.

Despite the Starwood name being covered on the building, it still appeared on the "No Parking" sign.

Season 5 - yes, 1981-82 is around the time Starwood got shut down because of too many neighborhood complaints...noise, drugs, punk rockers...

Maybe that's why they filmed there (empty) and changed the name (gone)?

I always liked Doug McClure (Trampas!). I remember once telling someone that and he said he knew his daughter.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I found this May 25, 1963, Los Angeles Times ad for the 1451 Cahuenga Blvd. address (where the Hollywood Canteen was) as Le Grand Comedy Theatre.

Newspapers.com

[...]

The second ad from above is for the Ivar Theatre playing Under the Yum-Yum Tree...I didn't find the marquee, but I found a Playbill for the production.
It starred Bill Bixby. The link says "This play was the Ivar’s longest running show, May 1962 to March 1964." ThisStage

I just noticed that the info about Under the Yum-Yum Tree playing at the Ivar from May 1962 to March 1964, doesn't jive with the L.A. Times May, 1963, ad for the show that says "88th Smash Week".

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I just noticed that the info about Under the Yum-Yum Tree playing at the Ivar from May 1962 to March 1964, doesn't jive with the L.A. Times May, 1963, ad for the show that says "88th Smash Week".
Bill Bixby was performing in the Billy Barnes Review in 1964 at the Las Palmas Theatre.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:48 AM

Quote:
The club's later incarnation as the Starwood gets a couple of mentions earlier in the thread, but if there were any pictures, they are gone now. Not long before it closed, the Starwood was redressed as a new wave club called 'Breaking Point' for a season 5 episode of CHiPs. It was run by Doug McClure.

Rosner TV/MGM TV

Despite the Starwood name being covered on the building, it still appeared on the "No Parking" sign.

Rosner TV/MGM TV
"the Starwood was redressed as a new wave club called 'Breaking Point' for a season 5 episode of CHiPs. It was run by Doug McClure."

This is perfection.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 10:22 PM

I am absolutely amazed by what you guys dug up on 1453 Vine Street!

It had quite the history. . .from Capt. Markham's private 'villa'. . . to a company looking for dancing girls. . . . to a clubhouse for communists' organizations.
It sure sucks that it was torn down.

I was confused by the 'tower' portion of the roof in the image below....To me it looks like a flat. . .umm. . .parallelogram.

. . .but this second image clears things right up.

Any information on the large house facing Sunset Blvd?...................................................................This one.

It appears to have had a porte cochere.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 1, 2020 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 1:09 AM

Here is a 2nd contact sheet for Robert Frank's The Americans.

He was in Los Angeles around 1955 - 56(?)....(the book was first published in France in 1958)

I don't have a copy of The Americans so I don't know if any of these photographs made the cut. ... (two are circled so maybe they made it in the book)

eBay

First of all, let's take a closer look at the circled photograph in the top row.

At first I thought this guy was playing pool. Now I think he's. . . . .umm. . .manipulating puppets ?

Bur-Mar Hotel bay window and the interior of a room (not necessarily a room in the Bur-Mar) with a view.

I'm drawing a blank on the Bur-Mar Hotel.

Two men walking through. . .the 3rd St. tunnel?

I'm almost certain I've seen this one before.

Chavez Ravine?

Mystery gate. (perhaps a cemetery?)

.....The dark orb is especially perplexing.

. . . .more to come.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 1, 2020 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Bur-Mar Hotel bay window and the interior of a room (not necessarily a room in the Bur-Mar) with a view.

I'm drawing a blank on the Bur-Mar Hotel.
I posted this about the Bur-Mar Hotel back in 2014. It was at 514 S Figueroa. The demo permit was issued just a few months after this picture was taken.

Looking at the CDs, it became the Bur-Mar Hotel around 1938 (the 1938 CD actually lists it as the Burmar Hotel). Before that it was the Mecca Apartments/Mecca Hotel/Hotel Mecca.

Quote:

This is another HDL picture from 1957 (previously posted by FredH).

Huntington Digital Library

The white building with columns is the Bur Mar Hotel, so, using the 1956 CD (below), the dark wooden building next to it must be the St Dunston Apartments. If these apartments are the ones on the left of Tetsu's picture, then could the little house have belonged to Ray F Allman?

LAPL

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 3:12 PM

Thanks Hoss. I had forgotten the earlier mention of the Bur-Mar. It's good to see that photograph again.

For whatever reason here's a closer look

The old wooden apartment building (St. Dunston's) to its right reminds me of some of Frank's interior photographs of rooms. I'll have to go back and look at them again.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 3:58 PM

Just a side comment:

While we often lament to loss of what made old Los Angeles, so many of these photos from the past indicate the shabby, derelict and just run down nature of it all.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 4:11 PM

. . .and alot of trash in the street. (this always surprises me)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 4:23 PM

As promised. . . .

more Robert Frank from contact sheet #2.

See that 1/4 of a photo at the top of this pic. . .

Here it is in its entirety. . .(sorry about the blurriness)

A parked car.

I'm pretty sure that's Bunker Hill in the background.

We'll never figure this one out.

It looks like a solemn occasion....Maybe a funeral

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 4, 2020 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 4:41 PM

A mystery location.

Remember the 'Swim Easy' posts from a couple of weeks ago. . .

Here's another with a. . .umm. . .mystery ghost.

old file / bbarr

I wish I had more information for you. ....I think the best clue might be the peaked mountain on the right.

And while I'm here I'd like to show you this very cool Swim Easy logo.

grapefruitmoongallery

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 9:26 PM

ucla

"Mary Loos, in print dress and head scarf, holding shopping bag, with young Asian man weighing watermelon on hanging scale, with shelves of vegetables in background...Miss Mary Anita Loos, niece of Anita Loos, famous author of "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" etc., between classes at Los Angeles Junior College where she is in 2nd yr....Miss Loos is shown buying vegetables for household of father, Dr. Clifford Loos, prom. Los Angeles physician. She is buying at one of the interesting Japanese-owned marts in center of Hollywood....circa 1930."

Mary Loos had a brief career as an actress...her first husband was the pulp author Richard Sale, together they wrote 20 produced screenplays....her father co-founded the Ross-Loos Medical Group, the country's first HMO.

Apparently, she had made an earlier stop at the El Adobe market.....

Hollywood Blvd. at N. Kingsley Drive......the "EL ADOBE" font style on the present-day signage appears unchanged from the typeface on the 1930 shopping bag.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 6:51 PM

I can't help but notice on the current photo, a sign for a...Dog Resort. Only in Hollywood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
She is buying at one of the interesting Japanese-owned marts in center of Hollywood....circa 1930."

This Loos woman is buying an exotic...watermelon.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:29 PM

Sunset Blvd. house

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I am absolutely amazed by what you guys dug up on 1453 Vine Street!

It had quite the history. . .from Capt. Markham's private 'villa'. . . to a company looking for dancing girls. . . . to a clubhouse for communists' organizations.
It sure sucks that it was torn down.

I was confused by the 'tower' portion of the roof in the image below....To me it looks like a flat. . .umm. . .parallelogram.

. . .but this second image clears things right up.

Any information on the large house facing Sunset Blvd?...................................................................This one.

It appears to have had a porte cochere.

The large house located at 6314 Sunset Blvd. was the long time home of KGFJ-AM 1230 radio during the '40's, '50's and early '60's.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 8:52 PM

There's a history of KGFJ (and other 24-hour stations) here ("Keeping Good Folks Joyful"). It looks like they moved to the Sunset address sometime around the end of World War II.

The demo permit for 6314 Sunset Boulevard was issued on February 18, 1965 where it's described as a "family residence".

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
Bill Bixby was performing in the Billy Barnes Review in 1964 at the Las Palmas Theatre.
That must have been right before he co-starred with Ray Walston in "My Favorite Martian". Walston was a Martian who stays with Bixby after his flying saucer crashes and hilarity ensues. Walston is perhaps best remembered as Satan in "Damn Yankees".

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 5:52 AM

[QUOTE=riichkay;8998598]
ucla

"Mary Loos, in print dress and head scarf, holding shopping bag, with young Asian man weighing watermelon on hanging scale, with shelves of vegetables in background...Miss Mary Anita Loos, niece of Anita Loos, famous author of "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" etc., between classes at Los Angeles Junior College where she is in 2nd yr....Miss Loos is shown buying vegetables for household of father, Dr. Clifford Loos, prom. Los Angeles physician. She is buying at one of the interesting Japanese-owned marts in center of Hollywood....circa 1930."

^^^
Anita Loos (aunt of Mary) was good friends with famous iconoclast H.L. Mencken (American Mercury etc.). When Mencken made his famous visit to L.A. in 1926, Anita Loos showed him around town. Mencken had a lot of funny things to say about Sister Aimee and her church, the Hollywood studios etc..I wonder if Anita wrote "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" because her good friend HL proposed to a blonde? It might be interesting to see pics here of HL's 1926 trip to nourish L A. They must exist....he was very famous at the time.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 3, 2020 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 5:58 AM

Delete

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos