HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 5:33 PM
Astorian

I noticed they hung a large American flag on the North side of the building near the top, about 1 and a half floors high and about 3 windows wide. Does it signify a topping out of the core or something?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
When is that former pre-war beauty (all glassed up now btw) going to be razed for 225/111 type buildings?
It might be, one day. Related wanted to buy that structure, demolish it, and build a condo-hotel tower.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 6:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This tower looks stunning from the Verrazano Bridge (Top and Bottom level). Had to drive to JFK to pick up family member yesterday and what a feast for the eyes. Barely any traffic so I took my time.

It blends in with the skyline perfectly. The peaks of the Midtown towers worked harmoniously with it to create an urban dreamscape. I was kinda hoping for some slow moving traffic too so I could just stare at it from a distance.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 9:30 PM
Sukaitsuri

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... There has been no jump since a couple weeks...?
The core has reached its maximum height, but why don't they complete the few remaining floors?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:27 AM

The made a perimeter jump on Monday, two days ago and an earlier on Sep 1 - so they are again about 5 days apart. There should be 3 perimeter jumps left. Maybe 2. And the core seems topped out at one level below the eventual top of the perimeter. The core has now disappeared from the earth cam. We could be just a couple weeks till topping off. This info is only gleaned from watching the cam - and maybe someone else has a more reliable source.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:49 PM
Walk taker

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:36 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:49 PM

From the user 57th&1st at SSC, they are installing some flagpoles at the top of the building. On the 56th st camera you can see they put tables for a celabration.

That somehow confuses me, if there are still two more floors on the perimeter to really top out the building, why are they are making such a fuss now?

I thought maybe we had an error on counting the floors, but there are only 10 perimeter floors above the last mechanical open level, and there should be 12...

Is that usual that they conmemorate the topping out of just the core?

Maybe it is just the farewell of the core climbing system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57th&1st View Post
Apparently, those giant flags on the sides of the building weren't quite getting the job done. Maybe adding a ring of flag poles to the top of the perimeter will help...:

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:49 PM
Walk taker

Another celebration lunch, it seems!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:57 PM
Sukaitsuri

I still wonder how they could manage to build such a THIN structure, that's really unbelievable

The building is fifteen times taller than it is wide...
and it's not pyramid-shaped like the Burj Khalifa or the Kindgom tower.

At first look, one would say that this tower is too thin, it will fall as soon as the wind comes...
But it doesn't !!

The thinner a building is, the deeper the foundations must be. I guess that the foundations of 432 Park Avenue must be very deep...

Congratulations to the architects

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post

Congratulations to the architects
or rather, the Structural Engineers!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:

At first look, one would say that this tower is too thin, it will fall as soon as the wind comes...
But it doesn't !!
And if you think this is thin, 111 West 57th Street will shatter records.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:19 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
I still wonder how they could manage to build such a THIN structure, that's really unbelievable
Economics

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:20 PM

It's an incredible building! The structure came together, the design came together, everything. I give props to Rafael Viñoly for his hard work and dedication to the project, Macklowe for keeping the project together through the recession! The workers deserve the party working on one of New York newest premier skyscrapers.

Good luck and good fortune to the future of 432 Park!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
And if you think this is thin, 111 West 57th Street will shatter records.
Yeah, I was gonna say. 432 Park isn't particularly thin from most angles.

Just wait until you see what's coming. There are buildings coming that will make 432 Park look like the old PanAm building in terms of bulk.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

congrats to the construction workers -- well done guise -- and a big thanks for entertaining us too, haha -- on to the next job and may there be many more!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 10:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
From the user 57th&1st at SSC, they are installing some flagpoles at the top of the building. On the 56th st camera you can see they put tables for a celabration.

That somehow confuses me, if there are still two more floors on the perimeter to really top out the building, why are they are making such a fuss now?

Maybe they are celebrating the topping out of the last actual floor being in place.

Anyway, these new condo penthouses may be up there in the sky as far as prices go as well, but they are not the only game in town when it comes to the super pricey units.

http://pagesix.com/2014/10/10/woody-...80-mil-duplex/

Jets owner makes doggone fine profit on $80 mil pad

By Richard Johnson
October 10, 2014

Quote:
Jets owner Woody Johnson made a tidy profit on the duplex at 834 Fifth Ave. he just sold for $80 million — maybe to a tidy dog lover.
According to Jerry Oppenheimer’s book, “Crazy Rich: Power, Scandal, and Tragedy Inside the Johnson & Johnson Dynasty,” Johnson bought the apartment with his then-wife Sale for a measly $3 million in 1982.

“Their apartment wasn’t just an apartment,” an awestruck relative told Oppenheimer. “It was just magnificent . . . When they renovated the apartment, they even had a stainless steel shower [and] toilet for their five dogs, because the dogs wouldn’t always be taken outside to crap, so they’d crap in this room and the floor would flush it away.”

http://nypost.com/2014/10/09/woody-j...986.1402772865

Quote:
We hear …. that there is an accepted offer on billionaire NY Jets owner Woody Johnson’s home at 834 Fifth Ave., which, as we reported, is quietly being shopped around. The apartment, asking $75 million, accepted an $80 million offer: a record co-op price for now.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 12:08 AM
BANNED

^ gorgeous pre-war. the color is amazing

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 7:50 PM

An $80 million coop price is amazing; much more impressive than a $100 million condo sale.

Coops are, of course, just shares in a corporation that give you the right to use the apartment space. You always have far more restrictions than condos (summer only renovations, no sublets), will usually have to pay cash, will have to pass the coop board (so no shady Russian/Middle East billionaires need apply), and monthly costs will be much higher.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 8:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Topped out: 432 Park Avenue goes all the way to become tallest residential building in Western Hemisphere

Quote:
432 Park Avenue will officially top out next week, making it the tallest residential building in the Western Hemisphere (for now).

The 1,397-foot-tall development by Macklowe Properties and Los Angeles-based CIM Group will formally reach its apogee on Tuesday, Crain’s reported.

Designed by Rafael Vinoly, the 96-story, 125-unit paean to luxury flaunts views of Central Park, the Hudson and East Rivers, Atlantic Ocean and probably the Great Wall. The building’s most expensive unit on the market, Penthouse 94, is a full-floor, 8,255-square-foot six-bedroom asking $82.5 million. That’s $9,994 per square foot.
================================
OCTOBER 10, 2014
http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2014/10...pping-out.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive