HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 6:01 PM

Freakish structure within a block of avenue des Gobelins that spans over the 5th and mainly the 13th arrondissements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by designboom.com

renzo piano infills middle of paris block with pathe foundation

with construction nearing completion, the ‘pathé foundation’ infills the interior of a city block in paris, and takes a curving form elevated from the ground. designed by renzo piano building workshop, the screened-glass volume has an unexpected urban presence. from the street it is masked by the surrounding structures, but rises above to reveal itself. the form responds to specific limits and requirements of the property, while seeking to maintain distance from its neighboring buildings to allow them increased access to daylight and ventilation. additionally, a birch tree garden is located at the back of the site.

the restored historic façade masks the curving volume

fitting into a restricted property at the center of a city block, the facility is dedicated to the preservation of the pathé film legacy and the overall promotion of cinematography. the program includes exhibition spaces for temporary and permanent collections, a 70-person film screening room, offices for the the foundation, as well as storage of the artist’s archives.

curving wood beams cap the top of the glass clad structure

the upper levels contain the foundation’s offices

the glass skin is shaded by a system of metal screen panels

the project includes the restoration of the façade facing the avenue des gobelins, including sculptural decorations done by a young auguste rodin. an opening in the elevation reveals the transparent lower floor of the new facility, and a garden beyond.

[...]

More pictures including some sketches, interiors and construction: http://www.designboom.com/architectu...on-06-03-2014/

It's pretty "organic", I guess. Most of the strange beast is hidden by traditional façades to the surrounding streets anyways. It looks interesting, but I'm not sure about the metal layer covering the glass. If metal panels can rotate, it's really cool, but nothing says they can.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 3:03 AM
Utilisateur enregistré

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
Europa city, a big mall in the municipality of Gonesse (northern outer suburbs) in a non urbanized land between CDG and Le Bourget aiports.
BIG won (more than one year ago). Here are some additional renders of their project.

http://www.big.dk/#projects-eur

_____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
Balard, Ministry of Defence. (15th arrondissement)
Work will start in 2014, for a completion in 2014

http://www.info-chantier-balard.fr/le-chantier/photos

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 7:22 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Gaumont Alésia cinema theaters (14th arrondissement)
Manuelle Gautrand

Revamping of Gaumont Alesia cinema theaters
New facade with dynamic LED
5 500 m²

Quote:
Renovated numerous times during its history, Gaumont-Alésia, a Parisian cinema housed in a structure that is over 80 years old, will now be revamped by firm Manuelle Gautrand Architecture. With a design that emphasizes filmography’s presence in modern culture, the Gaumont-Alésia is set to become an inviting cultural hub for the surrounding city, showcasing cinema’s influence on both the interior and exterior.

Both street facades will be composed of glass curtain walls shaded by pleated metal panels. These panels will be perforated by hundreds of LED “pixels” which will create an image across the pleats. Both entrances to the building become animated walls, broadcasting film stills, movie trailers, and advertisements, all meant to entice passersby. The LEDS are spaced fewer and farther apart toward the edges of the building, creating a stippling effect around the border of the images. At the entrances these animated panels will peel upwards, creating a canopy under which patrons can walk.
http://www.archdaily.com/517742/manu...of-led-pixels/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:07 AM

An evidence that the Montparnasse tower is losing its early 70's cladding.

From Piéton on pss-archi.

It would be funny if people didn't walk where panels touch down. We see claddings in better shape being changed in la Défense that's yet not that desirable location since it's outside the historic core. What on Earth are they waiting for to treat that tower? Some clueless say they still hope it could be demolished. Yeah, right. Well, let's see them pay the 1+ billion euros needed to tear it down and laugh.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 6:34 AM

La Défense from above.

By Oliver Jaeger on flickr

I'd say Trinity whose site is in preparation and Alto are the most likely to come next.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 7:50 AM
She needs her space

^^^Amazing shot. Paris has some really interesting architecture going up outside the limits

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:09 AM

^ Nice of you, thx. We do the best we can in spite of scared, enraged and oppressive local NIMBYs/haters that try to put anyone around them down all the time. It is pretty exhausting. That's why many are leaving the country like cowards, instead of fighting like they should.

Now another treat by Aladin whose flickr I highly recommend.

The Meliá hotel almost complete between First and CB21 on the right.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 8:33 PM

This is a little bit of an extension of the long corridor known as the Axe Historique, going from the Louvre at the heart of the historic core up to Nanterre in the western suburbs. That 12km (7-mile) long axis goes over 4 large avenues, notably the Champs-Élysées, and over la Défense's huge pedestrian deck upon and around which the highrise district has been developed so far. So this is located right behind la Défense's Grande Arche as seen from the central city.

This project includes 80 market-rate apartments and 200 student housing studios in the 17-story structure, a private college and some 3700m² (~40,000 sq ft) for retail and leisure. It's one of those new components to bring some better mixed-use feel and connections to la Défense and its closest surroundings.

BTW, the Grande Arche built only 25 years ago is already to undergo renovation sometime soon, since some Carrara marble panels of its façade fell off the building. Good job, huh... Not to mention its uncomfortable and yet outdated low ceiling interiors. I think more resistant granite will replace marble and interiors will be reshaped so the arch remains competitive when compared to office towers around.

On another note, we're seeing more and more residential midrises between 15 and 20 stories tall under construction over the metro area, but nothing taller as far as residential programs go. Why is that? I tell you what, I eventually ended up suspecting the so called safety standards enforced by our brilliant, merciless, depressing and mean bureaucracy make it hardly possible, while most locals actually need some shiny ambitious stuff to dream of, like more than ever. Hermitage is surely cool in that respect, but it's not U/C yet and is "exclusive" (ouhlalaaa, how shocking!), while I'd like to see some residential skyscrapers affordable to the middle class in metro Paris as they seem to really do en masse in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 1:01 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Saint-Ouen Docks redevelopment area Saint-Ouen

A view of office buildings in Grésillions redevelopment area (Asnières sur Seine) on the other bank of the Seine river.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 8:00 PM

^ Thanks, Minato. Looks like overall, it's eventually turning out rather satisfying over there. How did you feel on the spot? Is it like big enough?

Here's a much smaller mixed-use program built in Montmorency, another northern suburb lately. It's random but fine cause replacing a large parking lot.

Offices and (I'm guessing) the new courthouse of the town.

Offices + apartments

Student housing

Apartments

Still some work on the site

Seemingly a pretty good job. Better than the too large and half-empty parking lot that was there before, says tracky who shot the site for the French-speaking forum.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 12:00 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Some various little office developement.

20 Boetie (8th arrondissement)

Trio Daumesnil (12th arrondissement)

So Ouest Plaza (Levallois-Perret) OK not so little for this one

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 12:09 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Saint Lazare 360 (8th arrondissement)
The ugly building behind Gare Saint-Lazare will change

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 4:22 PM

Since I mentioned Epadesa in the Hermitage thread earlier today, I don't think this has ever been posted on here. In short, Epadesa is the public body to manage the development of a large and strategic territory sprawling over several western suburbs, that includes la Défense itself. Out of the entire metro area, which is pretty huge, that territory's definitely the most crucial for Paris's future developments.

So this is an interactive map of the whole thing: http://www.epadesa.fr/la-carte-des-projets.html

Everything contained by the red outline is managed by Epadesa. Blue dots are projects completed over the last 6 or 8 years, something like that. Orange is being implemented at the moment, purple is still on study.

That map clearly shows how the Axe Historique I mentioned on post #768 is expanding over the suburban town of Nanterre. Unfortunately, Nanterre is still a far left stronghold. It's been so since 1935, which doesn't make it easy to build some "evil capitalist skyscrapers" on their territory, but even the French far left has to gradually make way to social liberalism, actual social progress and gentrification today. So there you've got what will be one of the main pieces of Paris' development playground for quite a few decades to come. Although all inner suburbs are widely (re)developed anyway.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 1:59 PM

Some updates of the Charolais-Rotonde neighborhood in the 12th arrondissement by cochise75 on SSC.

First off, the Conservatoire of the arrondissement, that's an art college (dance, music and so on).

Good enough. We're all digging those electric blue materials.

Below is residential.

That white one on the left is a renovation turned into social housing. I see it on my way home cause it's along the rail tracks of RER D. All of this is neighboring the suburb I live. This is it by Lupus on pss-archi.

I'll eventually admit Lupus was right (he's a pro in that matter BTW). It's not the best looking at all in there, but I still find the copper colored part of it makes it tolerable.

These cladded in brown bricks look better for real.

Given the current shape of Paris's real estate market, all those buildings could very easily be at least 5 times taller, and I'm not kidding. But, you know, Central Paris's weird and total nimbyism...

Finally, that surprisingly bland office building.

I'll get over there for a little walk to see for myself, but wow, that last one looks like boredom indeed.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:57 PM

As mentioned several times earlier in this thread, Nanterre is on a tear, that's essential to make a prime location of la Défense.

Out of a whole bunch of programs, they're going to refurbish some of their commieblocks to turn them into something decent.

Namely those bars of Cité des Provinces Françaises:

Some new residential blocks called Hauts de Jardin

Thanks to foxley from pss-archi for these.

There's also Coeur Quartier whose phase 1 is under construction. Minato had posted about phase 2 that's coming up.

They're building Green Home.

And a bunch of things. Nanterre on a tear, I'm telling you, and not too expensive yet. If you've got some money, that's definitely a good spot to make some prospective capital gain.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 11:59 AM

Fabric along la Défense's ring boulevard, to the northern side of it.

By Vincent from tower T1's top.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:12 PM

A funny vision to disturb our local moronic NIMBYs, just basically sick with jealousy when they know they couldn't afford it.

That's like 2000 ft tall. I say it's funny cause if it wasn't for them naive and jealous French NIMBYs, I guess we could easily build like over a dozen of such mixed-use towers over here. Can you just imagine monsters like those to tower over entire Paris? All the wealthiest and most megalomaniac douchebags on Earth would kill one another to own a highest penthouse in there. Hey honestly, that'd be such a freaking treat.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:23 PM

The new express subway lines of Paris, with their completion dates. The map was published yesterday, following the press conference by the French prime minister on Monday.

The map shows the 208 km (129 miles) of new lines and extensions planned before 2030 (mostly in tunnels).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:37 PM

News travels across the Pond, as word of a nasty fight between the Mayor and City Council over Tour Triangle hits the American press:

Paris city council fights over new skyscraper

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 5:02 PM

^ You need to know, politics is deeply annoying over here. A mere obstruction to anyone trying to make life better.

On the one hand, you've got that wannabe French Republican but basically soviet and completely retarded mainstream French left wing to support highrises in well-off Central Paris but to oppose them in the suburbs. On the other, you get the still kind of Republican, liberal and passable mainstream French right wing to do the exact stupid opposite. Then eventually and in short, they all defend the same old and outdated French establishment. They're basically all the same. All white, all graduated from the same so-called brilliant French Grandes Écoles while even I could probably fuck their establishment polytechniciens at math whenever I want to, most coming from the overly protected French public sector or evenly protected French private multinationals, most too old, boring, mediocre and ludicrous, and all clueless about actual business and real life in today's world. And their mediocre little cattle of the French public sector eats in their hands like enslaved animals. Voilà le décor, friend.

Don't worry, though. The actual French people on the ground ain't like that. Really not. I think real people have been patient. So patient, definitely too much, for too long. Sometime soon, I guess they politicians and their cynical, cowardly and lazy little officials will be on all fours like a bunch of goats, and we'll be sticking whatever comes to our fists up their buttholes if they keep on scorning us all. That's the way it always goes somehow to make progress over here. I know it's shameful violence, but they just still can't understand anything else, so... We'll see.

As for that Triangle thing, it looked odd enough to be just arrogant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations