HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 7:26 AM

Will be adding photos shortly - it's been 3 years.

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Jul 1, 2014 at 7:36 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 1:21 PM

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

This was never built. Hoping so.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:27 AM

Now that Revel is closed, does anyone know what its ranking is when it comes to tallest abandoned buildings in the United States? At 57 floors (710 feet) it has to be up there.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime83 View Post
Now that Revel is closed, does anyone know what its ranking is when it comes to tallest abandoned buildings in the United States? At 57 floors (710 feet) it has to be up there.
it is by far the tallest abandoned building in the u.s

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:49 PM
Chairman

Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed from mini boom to major poof.

-sb

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:01 AM

There's not much going on in downtown Wilmington, but just a few miles outside city limits... the great A.I. duPont Hospital for Children is adding a very large addition... here's some pics:

[IMG]IMG_1001 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_1000 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0999 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0998 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0997 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 11:01 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

How projects are going on in Downtown Wilmington?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
How projects are going on in Downtown Wilmington?
There's nothing under construction - downtown - currently. However, the Riverfront continues to grow. It's growth since the mid-90's has been very impressive.

New condos under construction - Harlan Flats:
[IMG]IMG_1038 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1037 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1039 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1036 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1031 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1025 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1032 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

--more pics on my Wilmington album on Flickr, if interested.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 6:42 PM

Very very cool! Go Wilmington! I like to see what really is the Philadelphia area's second city growing!

Even though Camden and Reading are bigger in population, Wilmington by far feels like the larger city.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 10:00 PM

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...rict/17396325/

"Wilmington officials want a 223-acre area that spans parts of downtown and nearby neighborhoods on the west and east sides to receive a state designation expected to spur revitalization of urban blocks."

Hope so - really needs it. Nothing has been built downtown since the WSFS building was completed in 2007.

[IMG]IMG_0091 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Christiana Care did complete an addition to Wilmington Hospital about six months ago -- but nothing as far as commercial or residential towers.
[IMG]IMG_0204 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...rict/17396325/

"Wilmington officials want a 223-acre area that spans parts of downtown and nearby neighborhoods on the west and east sides to receive a state designation expected to spur revitalization of urban blocks."

Hope so - really needs it. Nothing has been built downtown since the WSFS building was completed in 2007.

[IMG]IMG_0091 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Christiana Care did complete an addition to Wilmington Hospital about six months ago -- but nothing as far as commercial or residential towers.
[IMG]IMG_0204 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
I was trying to avoid making an account in hopes that you would've of heard about this by now, but there IS construction going on downtown. At 818 N Orange Street, where the Dunkin Donuts connected to the giant parking garage used to be, right behind Market where Brewhaha! is. The developers for Penn Cinema and almost everything else on the riverfront, are building a new apartment complex there. Demo is finished, last time I checked they were clearing the site and beginning to dig. I'm not entirely sure if they have started foundation or not, I would think so as they started digging and that was a month or two ago.

Also the Starbucks just opened right behind Hotel DuPont.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
I was trying to avoid making an account in hopes that you would've of heard about this by now, but there IS construction going on downtown. At 818 N Orange Street, where the Dunkin Donuts connected to the giant parking garage used to be, right behind Market where Brewhaha! is. The developers for Penn Cinema and almost everything else on the riverfront, are building a new apartment complex there. Demo is finished, last time I checked they were clearing the site and beginning to dig. I'm not entirely sure if they have started foundation or not, I would think so as they started digging and that was a month or two ago.

Also the Starbucks just opened right behind Hotel DuPont.
I drove by last week and saw that a fence up around the huge parking lot just down the street on N. Orange (down the street from the DD) ... but no signs or anything. Wish they have L&I signs like in Philly. I did not know that about 818 N. Orange - that's cool.

Good call - Buccini/Pollin Group, they are the only developers in Wilmington essentially now - or so it seems. Brandywine Realty doesn't seem that interested in Wilm. now with all their monster projects in Philly.

"Midtown Park" - found that on the Buccini/Pollin Group website - appears to be maybe 6 stories. Similar to its condos/apartments on the Riverfront.

Also this:

"Connecting downtown to the Riverfront"

For BPG, boosting the numbers of residents in downtown Wilmington was the cornerstone in revitalizing the city. Now, the company's residential success there is being mirrored along the Riverfront, where approximately 5,000 workers are employed and more than 1,200 residents live.

The company's next focus is expanding the Market Street spine that connects downtown and the Riverfront. One of the first steps in that effort is the Midtown Parking Garage at the intersection of 9th and Shipley streets. It is currently undergoing demolition.

""The garage is something that we spoke with the previous owner for about four years in trying to purchase," Rob Buccini said. "We think with our project, it will be much more pedestrian-friendly. It will be a $50 to 60 million mixed-use project that will have parking, residential and retail.""

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/l...ington-skyline

(and I admit, I'm way more in tune with Philly news these days!! Sorry. But I would like Wilmington to have some sort of updates on here. Feel free to post any and all news you might know of -- no one else will).

Speaking of Starbucks ... there's one going in on the Riverfront as well.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 7:41 PM

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...gton/10340451/

Here we go.

"Hare said the firm also is moving dirt from the site of where the Interstate 495 bridge problem occurred to about 5 acres of land on the 200 block of South Market Street. He disclosed few details about that project, which is on the Christina Landing side of the Riverfront.

"We're looking at potential residential development to include apartments and townhomes or a potential office site," Hare said."
-----------------

Still no big time commercial - tall building news I can find though. And there's plenty, I mean plenty! of surface lots in Wilmington to fill. Here's to hoping.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 12:14 AM

[IMG]IMG_1054 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1053 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 4:54 AM

Also, if you have time, check out Market Street, there is a LOT going on down there. The History Museum and the house next door to it (can't remember the name right now) are undergoing reno. Also I believe 2 or 3 new stores are under co. on Market. Wilmington is definitely booming right now, I just wish they would take some attention to revitalizing the southern portion of the riverfront where Tanger used to be and get some retail attention down there.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:49 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

How many active projects are there in Wilmington?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
Also, if you have time, check out Market Street, there is a LOT going on down there. The History Museum and the house next door to it (can't remember the name right now) are undergoing reno. Also I believe 2 or 3 new stores are under co. on Market. Wilmington is definitely booming right now, I just wish they would take some attention to revitalizing the southern portion of the riverfront where Tanger used to be and get some retail attention down there.
Not sure I would say booming. Market Street is still absolutely dead most nights -- including the weekends. If there is a show at the Grand or down at the Queen Theater ...you might get some bar activity... but other than that -- it's a ghost town after 6pm.

Market St pics I took this past summer - problem is there just aren't enough people living down there w/ money to spend. And very few young professional types -- who still gravitate to Trolley Square over Downtown Wilmington.

Most of these lofts/apts are vacant ...and have been still they were built/renovated.

[IMG]IMG_0192 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]
IMG_0188 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0185 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0184 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]
IMG_0183 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0181 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0180 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Market Street - this is the Market Street most people are referring to when they say Market St and downtown Wilm is generally dead:
[IMG]IMG_0155 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0144 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0137 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:26 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Damn; U colorful Wilmington.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
How many active projects are there in Wilmington?
Right now, I can only think of 3. I'll have to go down to market and see what else is going on.
1. 818 N Orange St./9th and Shipley
2. The Residences at the Riverfront (I believe that's the name) across from Justison Landing
3. Delaware History Museum area

EDIT: Also there's talks of a minor-league hockey stadium on the riverfront?! As well as some more retail.
http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/l...ed_articlepage

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations