HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 2:45 PM

Alternate Key Tower

I am a lifelong Cleveland Area person who is fascinated by science fiction and alternate history (and tall buildings). Thus, I would love to know what buildings could have appeared in Cleveland. Could I ask for a picture of the alternate Key Tower here, to encourage someone to draw it, or is that over the line? The building I am talking about is
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=28687

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 3:34 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Welcome to the forum - this thread doesn't get a lot of traffic; most of the discussion has migrated to other forums, such as urbanohio.com (I'm an Administrator of the forum there). For building diagram requests, this forum has a separate section at the following link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

With that, the only image I've ever seen of that proposal (Society Center) is at the following link:

http://www.howardmodels.com/Architec...ls/BurgeeClev/

I'm not sure how tall it would have been - guesstimating the floor count in the low 50s but I don't think it would have been Key Tower's 888 feet from street to top of the pyramid.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 2:49 PM

Belated thanks, Mayday.
I remember when buildings taller than Terminal Tower would be proposed and shot down because they were taller than the Cleveland landmark. Then the Sohio Tower (now 200 Public Square) was built, which was shorter than the Terminal Tower but looked taller from many viewing points.
That helped get us to Society Center (now Key Tower).
We lost Ameritrust Center and Progressive Headquarters a quarter century ago...I'm still in psychotherapy over the disappointment :-)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 6:27 AM
Architecture/Engineering

I assume you know that Key Tower was derived from the original design for the Wells Fargo Tower in Minneapolis. Cesar Pelli designed a 950-foot tower (see the image below) on the site of the burned-out HQ of Norwest Bank in downtown Minneapolis.

But Norwest eventually changed the program and so Pelli designed a new Neo-Deco tower for Minneapolis. However, he adapted the original design for Cleveland and it became Key Tower.

Beautiful work in both towers!

Pelli's Norwest Tower in Minneapolis:

Pelli's Wells Fargo Tower in Minneapolis:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest