HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I had to educate a few of the people commenting on there that yes indeed Austin has a daily direct flight to London lol. I had some free time so figured what the hell.

I'll say this much about her... She must be cheap if she decided to take Delta to transfer to British Airways here when she could have just taken British Airways from L.A. to London lmao
Good work Jdawgboy! Someone had to put some sense into alot of people.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 7:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Good work Jdawgboy! Someone had to put some sense into alot of people.
Lol I must admit I had to look her up to figure out why she was making news in the first place. You know your getting old when you start to lose track of the newer music artists and celebs. I think it's ridiculous when even CNN had an article about it. I mean come on people, there's more important things going on in the 🌎.

Despite the useless information about someone I hadn't heard of, it does open up a relevant topic and that is at what percentage of people using the Austin-London route are transfering from other cities?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Lol I must admit I had to look her up to figure out why she was making news in the first place. You know your getting old when you start to lose track of the newer music artists and celebs. I think it's ridiculous when even CNN had an article about it. I mean come on people, there's more important things going on in the 🌎.

Despite the useless information about someone I hadn't heard of, it does open up a relevant topic and that is at what percentage of people using the Austin-London route are transfering from other cities?
Your not the only one Jdawgboy, I don't track track or should I say care about any of those artist. I would rather here about someone helping out someone in need then listen about how much a celebrity make or what they did wrong. It's completly irrelevant to me.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 1:35 PM
World Traveler

^ Completely agree. Though it was funny when a co-worker said to me the other day, "Hey, you're from Austin, right?" and proceeded to show me some article alleging that Kanye West wasn't allowed to cut in line at Franklin's. True or not, it made me feel proud of my hometown.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 1:30 AM

Ba 789

British Airways began operations with the 789 again today. On March 27, we will be going back to the 772 until BA has enough 789's for the Austin route, because they need some for the IAH route.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 1:39 AM
Meh

Quote:
There's a new plane in town and North America. This afternoon Austin became the first North American city to fly British Airways' new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. Starting today, BA now flies the 787-9 on its regularly scheduled Austin- Heathrow Airport nonstop. Learn more at
http://www.austintexas.gov/news/nort...w-787-9-austin
Video:
https://www.facebook.com/abia/videos/986968391352999/

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport - https://www.facebook.com/abia/photos...type=3&theater

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^ Completely agree. Though it was funny when a co-worker said to me the other day, "Hey, you're from Austin, right?" and proceeded to show me some article alleging that Kanye West wasn't allowed to cut in line at Franklin's. True or not, it made me feel proud of my hometown.
Amen to that!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 1:37 AM

Also to Kevin's post. That's nice.... Someday I'm flying on that plane and taking a flight to London.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 5:34 PM

Last edited by Digatisdi; Feb 8, 2016 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 6:30 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quick question because I'm not quite as adept to the relation of passenger traffic to air cargo, but why is it that overall cargo for the year only grew by 1% with many months seeing a decline from 2014 most notable is international cargo being down?

I would think with the kind of passenger growth we have seen that cargo would follow suit. The city's economy is robust and growing so I'm perplexed by the generally mediocre cargo stats.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 6:56 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Quick question because I'm not quite as adept to the relation of passenger traffic to air cargo, but why is it that overall cargo for the year only grew by 1% with many months seeing a decline from 2014 most notable is international cargo being down?

I would think with the kind of passenger growth we have seen that cargo would follow suit. The city's economy is robust and growing so I'm perplexed by the generally mediocre cargo stats.
Passenger and cargo are two completely different animals. Without a hub for a shipping company (i.e., FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc) Austin no longer has the manufacturing might it once had to see air cargo increase by that much Y-O-Y. Most manufacturing heavyweights have sent those operations overseas - where labor is much cheaper.

If, on the other hand, you look at belly freight (freight/cargo placed on commercial airliners), you will realize much larger increases in "cargo."

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 7:06 PM
Member since 2001

At half the growth rate of 2014 & 2015, ABIA will surpass it's "new" capacity of 16 million in 2021 - or roughly two/two-and-a-half years after the gate expansion opens.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 7:28 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
At half the growth rate of 2014 & 2015, ABIA will surpass it's "new" capacity of 16 million in 2021 - or roughly two/two-and-a-half years after the gate expansion opens.
I would hope they go ahead and approve the next gate expansion while the upcoming one is under construction. Was it Austin1971 that said the port could essentially merge the next expansion with this one making it a 5 year construction period as opposed to 2 years. Given the crazy growth rate and no signs of slowing down, you'd think it's already on the minds of city leaders. As you stated just above Goldenboot even if we see half the growth we saw this year, we will still need to expand by the end of this decade.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 3:31 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I would hope they go ahead and approve the next gate expansion while the upcoming one is under construction. Was it Austin1971 that said the port could essentially merge the next expansion with this one making it a 5 year construction period as opposed to 2 years. Given the crazy growth rate and no signs of slowing down, you'd think it's already on the minds of city leaders. As you stated just above Goldenboot even if we see half the growth we saw this year, we will still need to expand by the end of this decade.
Agreed.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 9:18 PM
the air is great up here

Which international direct flight should Austin add next?

Seoul? Tokyo? Vote for your fave:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pu...3&t=1455138897

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 1:58 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars-man View Post
Of the cities they specifically have on the list, I'd lean toward the Asia cities (Beijing, Tokyo, or Hong Kong), especially since London is already happening for the European connections. I would add Seoul to the list especially because of Samsung, but also because it's such a significant hub for the region. I go through Seoul often. So far as China is concerned, I'd prefer Hong Kong or Shanghai (Pudong) over Beijing any day, but if they chose Beijing, it'd still be an okay fit because it's a hub. Chengdu could also work for the same reason. And please never, ever, ever add Guangzhou to any list of possibilities. That is the worst-run airport I've ever flown through (I've done it several times - significant issues every single time). I avoid that one like the plague now.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 3:11 PM
Member since 2001

I would concur. Austin needs a non-stop connection to Asia. I think Seoul would be great. But, I'd be good with Tokyo as well.

I also agree. Shanghai and Hong Kong would be my first choices regarding China.

I am really interested in how Condor is going to do (considering it is seasonal, twice a week service, and geared toward leisure travelers). To me, the daily BA flight's focus and marketing to potential travelers is much different than that of the forthcoming Condor flight. I would have rather seen Lufthansa fly the FRA-AUS route on a regular basis throughout the year - at least 3-5 times a week on an annual basis (see new Lufthansa FRA-SJC route coming this summer).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 8:49 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Looking at the vote results so far it looks like Paris is in the lead, however I don't see how that could be a viable route considering the BA route. Paris isn't really that far from London and I would assume that a percentage of passengers flying on the London route are either transferring planes to Paris or they would take the chunnel which is what my uncle and aunt did when they went to visit both cities last spring.

I voted for Tokyo for a couple of reasons but a direct to Seoul would be fine by me as well.

In any event the ABJ poll is simply that, a generalized poll. I doubt anyone working at the publication has inside information whether or not another trans-oceanic route is forthcoming.

What is the status of the terminal expansion? Have they begin expanding the apron or still clearing the area?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:20 PM

We had to know Paris would top the poll. People are likely voting based on holiday travel and familiarity of the destination, not considering the viability or business decision behind it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:50 PM

Yeah I don't think I'd ever fly direct to Paris. I always just take Eurostar.

I voted for Buenos Aires for 100% selfish reasons but I figure it's just an ABJ poll

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin