HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
Nope. I voted for Project Connect, and hope the state doesn't overturn the will of Austin's electorate.

However, most people seem to pick a side. Hate cars, and oppose any and all car related infrastructure. Or hate any and all transit and bicycle infrastructure.

I dislike both viewpoints, and think "noisy" activists being unreasonable and unlikeable tends to push the electorate to one side or the other.

It is all rather childish, I agree.
"most people"

you're online right now. people in the real world are not this dramatic.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 6:36 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
"most people"

you're online right now. people in the real world are not this dramatic.
Good point. I should have clarified most people on social media, but that is where most of the discussions on these topics occur at least in my life. When I bring up any of the things I talk about on this forum irl most people look at me like an alien.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 6:41 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Delete
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Last edited by wwmiv; Mar 22, 2024 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 2:15 PM

Now that we know that the IH35 construction is starting this summer, Will they make 183 or SH130 free the next 10 years to take traffic off of IH35?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 3:13 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Now that we know that the IH35 construction is starting this summer, Will they make 183 or SH130 free the next 10 years to take traffic off of IH35?
I've heard nothing of the sort, and I seriously doubt it. There are debt payments which must be made to repay the bonds.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 3:52 PM
Old West Austin

Quote:
I've heard nothing of the sort, and I seriously doubt it. There are debt payments which must be made to repay the bonds.
It would be nice if they could force through truck traffic to use SH-130 during construction. That would certainly help.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 10:38 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
It would be nice if they could force through truck traffic to use SH-130 during construction. That would certainly help.
Most of the traffic on I-35 in Austin is local traffic. Those trucks are picking up, and dropping off shipments in the city.

A lot of traffic already uses 130 to bypass Austin, that's why they already widened it a couple of years ago. In a few years when the entire stretch of I-35 in Travis County is the midst of massive construction I'm sure everyone that can avoid driving through will do so, tolls or not.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:55 PM

PROJECT CONNECT
Project Connect eyes 2027 start to light rail construction

by: Kelsey Thompson
Posted: Mar 25, 2024 / 11:12 AM CDT
Updated: Mar 25, 2024 / 11:13 AM CDT

https://www.kxan.com/traffic/traffic...-construction/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Project Connect leaders are gearing up for a 2027 construction start for Phase 1 of light rail in Austin, officials said in an interview Monday. Based on current timelines, trains are expected to be running in Austin come 2033.

13 years.....wow!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 6:16 PM

Six years of construction is fine. Taking seven years to get from voter approval to construction is not. But that's the world we live in.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
One (disingenuous to me) thing, when it comes to those that are fighting so hard to oppose the project, is their argument that the increased amount of vehicles flowing through will be bad WRT climate change. It ignores that, when this project is completed 10 years from now, more than half of new vehicles being sold will be required to be hybrid or EVs (from what I understand).

I don't think anyone can reliably predict the exact percentage of ICE/non-ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles will be on the road in 10ish years. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the total emissions with the added vehicle flow was completely flat (or even reduced) 10 years from now due to the number of non-ICE vehicles on the roads.
As a huge EV proponent myself, I don't think your argument is a good one because EVs still generate boatloads of pollution, just different kinds and in different places. Just because you cannot see (and smell) the externalities doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
As a huge EV proponent myself, I don't think your argument is a good one because EVs still generate boatloads of pollution, just different kinds and in different places. Just because you cannot see (and smell) the externalities doesn't mean they don't exist.
It's not my argument though. It's theirs. At least from how I understand their argument, they are complaining about vehicle emissions from traffic. It seems that argument ignores what the actual emissions may be with the future EV/hybrid/ICE mix of vehicle traffic.

Their arguments don't seem to center around the associated pollution that may come about during the EV production processes or whatnot (I'm assuming this is what you're referring to). I'm not saying it should be ignored, but it doesn't seem to show up in their narrative. At least not that I've seen.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 4:59 AM

Quote:
It was an idea that has been thrown around many times. They have even talked about buying out the tolls. It would be a great idea to removed much of the traffic off the IH35 highway before the construction. Mostly because IH35 is such a heavy trade corridor. The smaller local roads could then handle all the local traffic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin