HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 6:05 AM
International

So, how many of you transit 'activists' are actually going to head out and ride the Eastside Gold this weekend?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 6:12 AM

Hehe I'm not gonna ride the Eastside extension until after this Sunday; I think it's gonna be a mess that day, I'd rather wait until regular revenue service starts. I'm definitely gonna be riding the Gold Line into Little Tokyo/Arts District often and start exploring some East LA restaurants, too.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 6:19 PM

I know this sounds a little strange, but when I pay to get on the bus or train, it makes me feel good. Maybe because in a way, i'm helping to contribute to a future Los Angeles that I hope will occur in my lifetime.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 9:46 PM

^^^ I might just have to do that next time I'm at home.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:42 AM

MTA backs light rail for Crenshaw corridor

From the Los Angeles Times:

MTA backs light rail for Crenshaw corridor

Proposed line would run from Exposition Boulevard to near LAX. Rail would be offer a faster, cleaner alternative to buses, supporters say.
By Ari B. Bloomekatz
November 11, 2009

South Los Angeles has won a significant victory as transportation officials recommended this week that a proposed transit corridor along Crenshaw Boulevard be a light-rail line rather than a less expensive dedicated busway.

The recommendation, made by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority staff, gives a boost to the estimated $1.7-billion project, which would run from the Baldwin Hills-Crenshaw area to just outside Los Angeles International Airport.

Officials want to build the project with revenues from Measure R, the transportation sales tax that L.A. County voters approved last year.

Supporters of the Crenshaw line argue that it would provide a mass transit system to southwest Los Angeles, Inglewood and surrounding communities that are traditionally underserved by the county's rail network.

"Look at the transportation options that we have now," said Trevor Ware, chief operating officer of the Los Angeles Urban League. "We have buses on Crenshaw and we see other neighborhoods that are developing other types of transportation options. To have a decision made that we will have light rail -- that's so much faster and will have so much more of an economic impact -- we need that too."

The proposed line would run about 8 1/2 miles down Crenshaw Boulevard, starting at Exposition Boulevard, past Leimert Park, shopping centers, through Inglewood and south to a stop near the airport and a connection with the Green Line.

About 2 1/2 miles of the project is proposed as a subway, including the section that would run underneath Leimert Park, said MTA project manager Roderick Diaz.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas called the recommendation a "big victory" and has said he wants to find hundreds of millions of dollars in additional funding so that more segments, if not all, of the project can be built as a subway.

The line will "improve air quality and serve as an economic catalyst," Ridley-Thomas said in a news release. "This will also provide an efficient, clean mode of transportation that will connect to Los Angeles International Airport."

Crenshaw line supporters say that the project can be built using revenue strictly from Measure R. Other more expensive rail projects being proposed in Los Angeles would also require federal money, such as the Westside subway, which has a price tag of about $5 billion.

At least one community advocate, Damien Goodmon, said officials need to focus on potential safety problems on sections of the line that would run near areas with children.

"The section on Crenshaw Boulevard between 48th and 60th Street will be a rallying point for our community. The section, which abuts View Park Prep School and is just a block away from Crenshaw High School is currently only being studied as street-level with no option for underground. We disagree with this recommendation by staff," said Goodmon, who is part of the South Los Angeles Neighborhood Council's Joint Committee on Rail Transit.

ari.bloomekatz@latimes.com

Copyright © 2009, The Los Angeles Times

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 11:48 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I know this sounds a little strange, but when I pay to get on the bus or train, it makes me feel good. Maybe because in a way, i'm helping to contribute to a future Los Angeles that I hope will occur in my lifetime.
Dunno about 'feeling good,' but I know that I definitely do NOT like paying for transit when I'm in San Francisco.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 2:28 AM

I'll be riding the gold line sunday, its free.
I'm glad to see metro chose LRT for Crenshaw, but I would have liked to see the alignment shift onto LaBrea via San Vicente/Pico so that it could continue up to Hollywood...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 6:57 PM
Ascension

Movin on up...to the Eastside....

VIDEO 1
Video Link

VIDEO 2
Video Link

Last edited by BrandonJXN; Nov 13, 2009 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 7:03 PM

No more grand openings for me, I've had enough of the crowds of people who will probably never ride the train again until the next new opening.

I rather wait a few weeks, and then check it out after all of the hoopla resides. Besides I will be too tired to go anyway after a 12 hours shift Saturday night.

I will also have to check it out by myself since my wife isn't into stuff like riding on trains for fun.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 1:18 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

I'm so excited to have a train that drops you off in the heart of Little Tokyo. The walk to/from the Civic Center station is a bit long; even longer when it's dark out.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Nov 14, 2009 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 3:19 AM
TL;DR

Cool. Better than Streetview, especially since they have it in HD. It's also nice to see clean, bright, shiny new subway tunnels instead of grungy old dank ones.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Movin on up...to the Eastside....

VIDEO 1
Video Link

VIDEO 2
Video Link
Nice video. Thanks!

Are there any long term plans to turn more of it into a subway at some point in the future? Could this slowly evolve into the Red Line extension that they were once promised?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 6:35 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bill View Post
Nice video. Thanks!

Are there any long term plans to turn more of it into a subway at some point in the future? Could this slowly evolve into the Red Line extension that they were once promised?
Anything is possible in the future, after all the other promised rail corridors are built. Look at the videos closely again and check out the density of the neighborhoods this line runs through. It's just not dense enough today to warrant a 100% subway line. To warrant a subway line there should be significantly more multi-story buildings and several at least 10 story buildings along the line. I'm sorry, but I see mostly single story buildings.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 12:06 PM
BANNED

^ the population density in the eastside is much higher than looks would suggest

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 12:47 PM
Martian

That video was great! Seeing all the beautiful new stations makes me happy and sad, because I know within a few weeks from opening they're gonna be dirty, sticky and vandalized...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 3:25 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

Yeah LA is one of the densest cities in America in its central areas. Don't have the data but I've seen it.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 5:45 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Anything is possible in the future, after all the other promised rail corridors are built. Look at the videos closely again and check out the density of the neighborhoods this line runs through. It's just not dense enough today to warrant a 100% subway line. To warrant a subway line there should be significantly more multi-story buildings and several at least 10 story buildings along the line. I'm sorry, but I see mostly single story buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
^ the population density in the eastside is much higher than looks would suggest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Yeah LA is one of the densest cities in America in its central areas. Don't have the data but I've seen it.
According to city-data the area serviced by the gold line extension has a density of:

Zip code 90033 statistics:

Estimated zip code population in 2007: 51,155
Land area: 3.1 sq. mi.
Population density: 16,387 people per square mile

Zip code 90063 statistics:

Estimated zip code population in 2007: 57,623
Land area: 3.6 sq. mi.
Population density: 16,164 people per square mile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whereas the Purple line has a density of:

Zip code 90057 statistics:

Estimated zip code population in 2007: 45,532

Land area: 0.9 sq. mi.
Population density: 51,582 people per square mile

Zip code 90005 statistics:
Estimated zip code population in 2007: 44,526
Land area: 1.1 sq. mi.
Population density: 38,837 people per square mile

Zip code 90017 statistics:
Estimated zip code population in 2007: 21,416
Land area: 0.7 sq. mi.
Population density: 28,822 people per square mile

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Los...#ixzz0Wx9ne23g

Last edited by dktshb; Nov 15, 2009 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 6:04 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

A fun little video from yesterday. Who knew there could be such fanfare over a glorified streetcar? And even though Gloria Molina won't shut up, I understand how she feels about losing out on the subway.

Video Link

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
A fun little video from yesterday. Who knew there could be such fanfare over a glorified streetcar? And even though Gloria Molina won't shut up, I understand how she feels about losing out on the subway.
There was a lot of discussion a few years ago about the new subway system in Madrid Spain. They built it for a tiny fraction of the cost per mile of L.A.'s Red/Purple line.

Why can't we follow their example? If we did we could have hundreds of miles of subway covering much of Southern California for less than what we paid to build the current Metro system.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 6:48 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bill View Post
There was a lot of discussion a few years ago about the new subway system in Madrid Spain. They built it for a tiny fraction of the cost per mile of L.A.'s Red/Purple line.

Why can't we follow their example? If we did we could have hundreds of miles of subway covering much of Southern California for less than what we paid to build the current Metro system.
Madrid is going to have lower overall wage rates, and of course it doesn't have to deal with the multiple active and somewhat-active fault lines throughout the L.A. Basin, nor does it likely have the huge methane problem that exists through most of the Westside. Think La Brea Tar Pits, and you have some idea of what I'm talking about.

That all being said, congratulations East L.A. on the new LRT extension!

Aaron (Glowrock)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation