HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
On the more cultural end, I'm interested in the Bill Reid Gallery, and would have loved to check out the Museum of Anthropology at UBC (closed until June, unfortunately). I'm more broadly interested in natural history/geology as well.

Any restaurant recommendations would be welcome too - we're staying at the Fairmont Waterfront, and likely will want to stick to something more easily reached from downtown (ie. walking/transit).
Too bad they are doing some special guided tours at MOA while it's closed but they don't match up with your travel dates

https://moa.ubc.ca/event/moa-unmaske...-scenes-tours/

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:
I'll be in Vancouver from Jan 21-25 for the AME Roundup and am considering staying a few extra days after. I was wondering whether you guys had any recommendations on things to do while I'm there. I don't ski or snowboard and I'm quite introverted, so bar/nightlife stuff isn't really my sort of thing.

Right now I'm planning on renting a mountain bike and riding at Seymour - it's obviously not prime-season, but weather will be a lot nicer than at home that time of year. Regardless, it's going to be highly weather dependent, so it's not something I can really count on doing. In a similar vein, renting a bike and riding around the sea wall/exploring Stanley Park sounds nice.

On the more cultural end, I'm interested in the Bill Reid Gallery, and would have loved to check out the Museum of Anthropology at UBC (closed until June, unfortunately). I'm more broadly interested in natural history/geology as well.

Any restaurant recommendations would be welcome too - we're staying at the Fairmont Waterfront, and likely will want to stick to something more easily reached from downtown (ie. walking/transit).
If you're renting a bike (or using the bikeshare service MOBI) you could cross the Burrard Street Bridge and check out the Museum of Vancouver which is quite good for a civic museum (Canada's largest apparently). The architecture is midcentury cool too. The Vancouver Maritime Museum is near there too, small but good. That also puts you near Granville Island.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 8:03 PM
victory in near

Quote:
I'll be in Vancouver from Jan 21-25 for the AME Roundup and am considering staying a few extra days after. I was wondering whether you guys had any recommendations on things to do while I'm there. I don't ski or snowboard and I'm quite introverted, so bar/nightlife stuff isn't really my sort of thing.
close to 30 years ago, the roundup was a drunken debaucherous affair full of crusty and crazy prospectors and minors and people throwing money around like its goin' out of style. Things happened that would not be allowed in 2024.

I miss that lol.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 8:53 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:

Right now I'm planning on renting a mountain bike and riding at Seymour - it's obviously not prime-season, but weather will be a lot nicer than at home that time of year. Regardless, it's going to be highly weather dependent, so it's not something I can really count on doing. In a similar vein, renting a bike and riding around the sea wall/exploring Stanley Park sounds nice.

What do you like to eat? Downtown's food scene is kind of a 'jack of all trades, master of none'. There are some standouts, of course, but I far prefer to eat outside of downtown. Mount Pleasant and Fairview neighbourhoods, Fraser St and Victoria Dr offer some amazing food options, but they aren't really Skytrain friendly.

I'd recommend walking Main St, West 4th and Commercial Drive. They're probably the best bang for your buck if you just want to stroll around, and soak in what Vancouver is like outside of downtown. Main St and Commercial Dr have a ton of great coffee options if that's your thing.

The Metrotown area is interesting if you're into new skyscrapers and other developments. Check out Crystal Mall for some great, authentic Chinese food options.

I'd also say check out the Cleveland Dam area in North Vancouver if you have a car. Great views of The Lions (two famous mountain peaks), and the park system is really nice. It'll be ultra lush this time of year, and not busy.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 9:18 PM

Quote:

Since you are going to the Museum of Anthropology at UBC, I would suggest that you explore more over there instead of downtown Vancouver when it comes to cultural venues like museums. Here's my list of recommendations at UBC:

1. Museum of Anthropology (You're going there)
2. Cecil Green Park House & surrounding gardens (just behind MOA, including a couple of WW2 era batteries facing Georgia Straits that you can check out)
3. Nitobe Memorial Japanese Garden
4. Beaty Biodiversity Museum (Lots of animal collections, including the bones of a large whale at the entrance)
5. Pacific Museum of Earth (You did say you like Geological stuff...although this is a small museum)

For Vancouver, like whatnext said, I would also recommend the following:
1. Granville Island. Make sure you visit the Granville Market, Net Loft Shopping Mall and Kid's Market (if you have children) while you are there!
2. Maritimes Museum - Only if you are really into ships and maritimes-related things
I would totally skip the Vancouver Museum as there is nothing much to see there.

Downtown to me is a cultural desert. Other than the Art Gallery, there is pretty much nothing else of cultural interest. There may be small spots here and there but you can probably finish seeing everything in 10mins. On the other, please check out these two areas: Gastown and Yaletown, especially if you are looking for a place to chill, relax and dine out.

However, if you can make it to the suburb cities, please go check out the following:
1. Burnaby Village Museum (one short bus ride away from Metrotown Station). This heritage park now has festive decorations to boot.
2. Lonsdale Quay Market and The Shipyards - Market is smaller than Granville Island's but you can discover many delights in this neighbourhood, not to mention having the best waterfront view of downtown Vancouver.
3. New Westminster Museum & Riverfront Market - This is easily reached via skytrain and you can discover the oldest city in the Lower Mainland.

Of course, there are other places of interest in and around Vancouver, but those are already heavily promoted.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 9:40 PM

Quote:
I don't ski or snowboard…
You can go snowshoeing from any of the local ski hills.
Cypress Mountain has a shuttle bus from Downtown and has a good amount of trails.
Dog Mountain from Seymour is a favourite of mine but access is a bit longer if you don’t have a car, one can transit to Parkgate Mall then take the shuttle bus.
Grouse charges a ridiculous amount just to take the cable car up and has limited snowshoeing, best to avoid Grouse.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 9:55 PM

Wait for a clear day and watch the sun go down at the inukshuk - that never gets old.

Quote:
Phnom Penh in Chinatown. Best fried chicken on the West Coast. Just make sure you go between 3 and 5, otherwise you'll never get a table.

Craft Beer Market in Olympic Village has some great decoration, though the food menu's basically just burgers, pizza, salad and overpriced steak.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
...I'd also say check out the Cleveland Dam area in North Vancouver if you have a car. Great views of The Lions (two famous mountain peaks), and the park system is really nice. It'll be ultra lush this time of year, and not busy.
After arriving in Vancouver in 1993 (with no money in my pockets, just standing on the heels of a mountain of dreams), my first trek was the Cleveland Dam area, with the Capilano River Hatchery and surrounding trails which inspired me to work hard for a lifetime of residency. I'm incredibly grateful.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 12:16 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. I have a bit of research to do, but this gives me a lot of options. It sounds like it might be worthwhile getting out of downtown for food at least a few times while I'm there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
close to 30 years ago, the roundup was a drunken debaucherous affair full of crusty and crazy prospectors and minors and people throwing money around like its goin' out of style. Things happened that would not be allowed in 2024.

I miss that lol.
This will be my first time to the Roundup, but I've been to PDAC several times and it has the same historic reputation. Honestly, I'm glad that the industry has mostly left that behind.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 6:23 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
After arriving in Vancouver in 1993 (with no money in my pockets, just standing on the heels of a mountain of dreams), my first trek was the Cleveland Dam area, with the Capilano River Hatchery and surrounding trails which inspired me to work hard for a lifetime of residency. I'm incredibly grateful.
That's really cool.

Old Posted Today, 7:45 AM

For anyone planning a trip to Bellevue, the new Line 2 opens in April, only the Bellevue part, you won't be able to train it to Seattle til 2025.

Quote:
April 27, 2024
The 2 Line, between South Bellevue to Redmond Technology Station, is opening April 27, 2024. The remainder of East Link that connects the east side to the 1 Line in Seattle, is scheduled to open in 2025.
source

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion