HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 1:51 AM

From a 1956 crime/noir film, "The Price of Fear", starring Merle Oberon and Lex Barker....Bill Storey's Restaurant was located at 4100 Cahuenga Blvd., North Hollywood....the picture was shot at Universal, this is only a few blocks away from the studio.

4100 Cahuenga Bl. is now the Ca Del Sole restaurant...The motorcycle officer is coming around a curve, if I have this lined up correctly he would have been about here....

gsv

In the screenshot, signage in the distance seems to say DeSoto Plymouth, so there was a dealership at the site opposite Bill Storey's in '56...North Hollywood Toyota pre-owned is there now...the 76 station went out at some point and became part of the car lot.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 2:08 AM
BANNED

syndicatefile

People complain that NLA has gone soft....need more NOIR photos.

As you know, this is Bugsy Siegel. I imagine that Virginia had to replace the couch.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 3:18 PM
Dallas, TX

In the 1950's someone thought it would be a good idea to build an escape route from Los Angeles in case of a nuclear attack. Building the Shoemaker Canyon road was supposed to be the solution. Two tunnels were dug and the road ends abruptly, going no where.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 3:50 PM

That's an amazing photograph. I've never seen the tunnel up close. The interior reminds me of a quonset hut.

Additional information on this intriguing subject, rcarlton. (I'm still looking for the first Cold War Project post. This appears to be the 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for posting the videos Krell58. I had my rumors mixed up.

Here's more on the Cold War Project.

March 19, 1980
latimes

Los Angeles County road worker Bill Netzley opens gate barring vehicles from damaged final miles of Shoemaker Canyon Road.

"Cold War era leaders determined Los Angeles residents needed an escape
route through the San Gabriel Mountains in case of a nuclear attack.
Construction work began on Shoemaker Canyon Road. The 25-mile escape route
would have connected the San Gabriel East Fork Road with Largo Vista in the Mojave Desert.

Work started in 1956, but only four miles was finished. Construction officially stopped in 1969.

When first under construction in 1956, this highway pointed to Largo Vista and the Mojave Desert and was blueprinted
in part as a Civil Defense escape from fallout; one route among a spider-work of exits in all directions should Los Angeles
be threatened, even executed by an atomic attack."

March 19, 1980
latimes

The second tunnel on Shoemaker Canyon Road.

March 19, 1980
latimes

Marker on the first tunnel on the road to nowhere - Shoemaker Canyon Road.

March 19, 1980
latimes

End of paved stretch of Shoemaker Canyon Road.

All from L.A. Times March 31, 1980

sdreader

It is also known as Convict Road because the Los Angeles County Road Department utilized prison labor.

One source says the inmates were from Chino Prison while another says the prisoners were from Detention Camp 14. (?) whatever that means.

(maybe Detention Camp 14 is what it was designated once they were in the canyon )

sdreader
wrightwood
latimes

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 8, 2020 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 7:00 AM

CBD requested some noir pics, as always the L.A. Examiner archive provides.

This is textbook tabloid crime stuff, Weegee would approve....images of utter urban desolation...

Dead woman at 411 East 4th Street, 24 January 1952. Daisy Lorene Johnson;

Found dead on a fire escape over a grimy alley on a chilly January morning....covered in a (likely) imitation fur, and some flop-house bedding.

The homicide guy won't relinquish his stogie as he examines the body.

There's weak grey light in the sky, my guess is it's morning....a gentlemen's shoe on the floor....

Was she a hophead o.d., fixing with her companion who then dragged her to the fire escape?....or was it murder?

411 E. 4th St., Chetwood Hotel

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 11:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
CBD requested some noir pics, as always the L.A. Examiner archive provides.
Oh yes Riich.Kay....now we're getting the real deal. I can sleep now.
Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 12:11 PM

An article that cites a consistently controversial architect, Mr. Gehry:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...cture-proposal

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 5:18 PM

Mystery street corner in Hollywood CA.

Seller's description:...."1970's Original Slide Parade Hollywood Los Angeles California Street Scene"

The building on the corner would be easier to recognize if the bank hadn't tacked on the unattractive 'facade' in a lame attempt to make the building appear modern.

eBay

Hopefully it has been removed. (the fake facade, NOT the building)

This second slide shows an impressive, vintage building down the street that's pretty much intact. (no cheesy make-over) . . .but I don't recognize it.

eBay

I thought, at this point, I would be able to recognize at least 90% of the major building on Hollywood Blvd. yet this one has me stumped.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 9, 2020 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 6:29 PM

Now let's take the Way-Back-Machine to June of 1922 and travel to downtown Los Angeles with Jeanette Jouanneau and Anna Green.

eBay

LEFT

Fri. June 16, 1922

Jeannette J.

RIGHT

Jeannette Jouanneau

Anna Green

Fri. June 16, 1922

The seller adds that Ms. Jouanneau was born in 1906. (only 16 years old when the photographs were taken)

As always I'm curious about something. What rooftop are the young women posing on?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 7:11 PM

Quote:

Seller's description:...."1970's Original Slide Parade Hollywood Los Angeles California Street Scene"

The building on the corner would be easier to recognize if the bank hadn't tacked on the unattractive 'facade' in a lame attempt to make the building appear modern.

eBay

Hopefully it has been removed. (the fake facade, NOT the building)

This second slide shows an impressive, vintage building down the street that's pretty much intact. (no cheesy make-over) . . .but I don't recognize it.

eBay

I thought, at this point, I would be able to recognize at least 90% of the major building on Hollywood Blvd. yet this one has me stumped.
Hollywood National Bank was at 6225 Hollywood Boulevard (corner of Argyle). According to usbanklocations.com, it was established in 1964, and merged with United States National Bank in 1971. The building isn't being treated any better today, but at least it's still there.

GSV

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Joe is sending some soiled laundry home C.O.D. for his mom to wash....he'll give her some money for the postage when he gets home in a week.
Sending dirty laundry in the mail was common in those days. Moms were expected to wash their son's dirty laundry until he was married or had a housekeeper.
He left it at the cleaner because it wasn't ready, so it sounds like he is having the cleaner finish it and send back clean laundry instead of dirty. Such a nice young man.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:

Now let's take the Way-Back-Machine to June of 1922 and travel to downtown Los Angeles with Jeanette Jouanneau and Anna Green.

eBay

As always I'm curious about something. What rooftop are the young women posing on?
By coincidence (with the Hollywood Nation Bank location above), the building on the left of e_r's picture was a Pantages theater at the time the photo above was taken. I think this is the building that the ladies were standing on - corner of 7th and Hill.

LAPL

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Hollywood National Bank was at 6225 Hollywood Boulevard (corner of Argyle). According to usbanklocations.com, it was established in 1964, and merged with United States National Bank in 1971. The building isn't being treated any better today, but at least it's still there.

GSV
It was the Italian Kitchen in the 1940s.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 11:36 PM

Here's the Italian Kitchen when the building was looking much better in 1947.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

GSV
Facadism has taken over Los Angeles and much of the world. Owners of the buildings are allowed to use the visible exterior of a building for anything they want. They defile the original architecture and are able to attach garish advertising with little if any restraint.

You see the same thing in places such as Russia where consumerism is not constrained by laws and city ordinances.

Facadism allows buildings to become grotesque versions of their former self.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:25 PM

The Pantages. *slaps forehead*

I thought I was looking at the main entrance of a smaller building.

Nope.

GSV

Thanks for your help HossC.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:

eBay

I'm wondering what kind of parade this is? The boy above the "l" in vinyl looks like he's carrying a pizza. Don't recall ever seeing a star painted on the street before, either.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:21 PM

This explains the furs the young women are wearing. Jeannette's father was a furrier, or whatever "ctr" means.

I wonder if the fur shop was in the building where the young ladies are posing.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 10, 2020 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
It was the Italian Kitchen in the 1940s.
The building where Jeannette's father worked was located at 3rd and Hill. He is listed as a fur cutter (which allows for the "ctr") Henry (Henri) Emile Jouanneau was born in Paris in 1881. He and his wife Laura had one adopted son and four natural children, three daughter and a son. All the children were born in California. The family appears in the 1920 Census, living at 1712 Belleview Ave, Los Angeles

Jeannette Rose Jouanneau married a man named Martin Guthrie in 1924. He was a clerk in a gas plant.
She died in Sacramento, CA in 1984.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
That's an amazing photograph. I've never seen the tunnel up close. The interior reminds me of a quonset hut.

Additional information on this intriguing subject, rcarlton. (I'm still looking for the first Cold War Project post. This appears to be the 2nd.
Detention Camp 14 was located at 23701 San Gabriel Canyon Road, Azusa. It would have been the closest Detention camp to the area where they would have been working

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos