HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
He has done the unthinkable; he has made our previous Mayor Moonbeam seem at least somewhat competent and a leader. All Kennedy does is ooze weakness and undecisiveness and lack of a plan in everything he does. He is a complete opposite of a leader and someone that nobody would follow to a war.
Good thing we're not going to war.

Also a good thing he's not a general, but a mayor....

Honestly he has been very pro-development which is A-OK in my books, and much more hands on than Robertson. I didn't vote for him the first time, but I'd consider him this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I'll wait and see who the District Labour council endorses
The district labour council? What are you voting in? The 1955 Leningrad party leadership?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Honestly he has been very pro-development which is A-OK in my books, and much more hands on than Robertson. I didn't vote for him the first time, but I'd consider him this time around.
Stewart's voting record is good, his leadership is dog shit.

This council isn't the easiest though, herding cats.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:00 PM

CTV article March 2014 - B.C. introduces 4-year terms for local government

"The Union of B.C. Municipalities passed a resolution last year that supported four-year terms. Mayor Dean Fortin of Victoria has said the longer term is necessary because many municipal issues have become more complicated, so more time is required to plan and engage the community."

Back in 2014 BC municipal elections moved from a three year term to four years. So for BC Municipal elections there was
2011 to 2014 (three years)
2014 to 2018 (four years)
2018 to 2022 (four years) date: Oct 15, 2022

What Mayor Fortin (2008 – 2014) says above may be true but it seems like it has been ages and ages since the last municipal elections.

Of the three levels of government the Municipal level is the one that likely has the most direct effect on voters. Is four years too long between voter approvals for that?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Of the three levels of government the Municipal level is the one that likely has the most direct effect on voters. Is four years too long between voter approvals for that?
Any shorter than 4 years and you'd have policies and programs nixed, changed, or delayed up the wazoo

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:20 PM

Agreed with GenWhy. 2-3 year term limits run the risk of perpetual election campaigning and even less long-term planning than the status quo. 4-5 seems like the right balance between myopia and corruption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Stewart's voting record is good, his leadership is dog shit.

This council isn't the easiest though, herding cats.
Leadership seems like an abstract trait in this case - not even Abe Lincoln could get Swanson's head out of her ass.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Any shorter than 4 years and you'd have policies and programs nixed, changed, or delayed up the wazoo
If that's what the voters want, they should get. Vancouver survived and thrived on three year terms from 1987 to 2014 and two years before that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 12:00 AM

Last edited by Feathered Friend; Dec 7, 2021 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 12:22 AM

Already Hardwick's Team has scored an endorsement from the former head of Vancouver's planning department, Larry Beasley, who among other things strongly criticizes propping up 10 floor buildings wherever people want, because neighbourhoods are the sacred foundation of livability.

https://youtu.be/Ve4UyjRcuCA?t=881

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 1:06 AM

Fuck Larry.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Already Hardwick's Team has scored an endorsement from the former head of Vancouver's planning department, Larry Beasley, who among other things strongly criticizes propping up 10 floor buildings wherever people want, because neighbourhoods are the sacred foundation of livability.

https://youtu.be/Ve4UyjRcuCA?t=881
Seems to work pretty well for Paris, Munich, Florence. You know, all those cities people like to visit.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:13 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Seems to work pretty well for Paris, Munich, Florence. You know, all those cities people like to visit.
If you watched the video, Larry says that neighborhoods should be in charge of planning where density is built. Basically he wants the NIMBYs to be in charge of city planning. Sound like a good plan?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 7:21 AM

Quote:
If we want to be more like a French or German city, every new building should be ten floors high.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
If we want to be more like a French or German city, every new building should be ten floors high.
It doesn't make sense to refer to the buildings because the entire city of Paris and Munich are zoned for mixed-use multi-family. I think whatnext meant the people should look like they do in France or Germany. That makes much more sense.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cov View Post
It doesn't make sense to refer to the buildings because the entire city of Paris and Munich are zoned for mixed-use multi-family. I think whatnext meant the people should look like they do in France or Germany. That makes much more sense.
The OP (FF), the rebuttal, and the rebuttals to the rebuttal all refer to building heights... nothing about how people dress.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The OP (FF), the rebuttal, and the rebuttals to the rebuttal all refer to building heights... nothing about how people dress.
Not how they dress lol, I think he meant more like how the people look like they are from the right "cultural heritage" you know? This would be much more consistent with whatnext's political leanings.

whatnext's real issues can't be about building heights, because all the cities he praised clearly have zoning heights that whatnext would be outraged by.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Take your trolling elsewhere.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 1:55 PM

Hi there.

What are the most right-wing candidates and political parties?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Take your trolling elsewhere.
The masquerade is over. Why don't you take a look through the Richmond thread? Which I'm sure by this time everybody including you have already seen. You are thoroughly exposed.

Not replying to the Richmond thread, then choosing to reply to a previous comment here when I pointed out why just the comment above you is just super cowardly too.

Last edited by cov; Dec 14, 2021 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
The masquerade is over. Why don't you take a look through the Richmond thread? Which I'm sure by this time everybody including you have already seen. You are thoroughly exposed.

Not replying to the Richmond thread, then choosing to reply to a previous comment here when I pointed out why just the comment above you is just super cowardly too.
Do you have anything on topic to add? Perhaps an answer to urbanflight's question as you seem to be a self-proclaimed expert.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanflight View Post
Hi there.

What are the most right-wing candidates and political parties?
TEAM is full of cranky reactionary Karens, and the NPA is the same except led by alt-right haters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics