HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
I dont get the discussion about centuries when 40 years ago Canada was over 95% Caucasian. It still is well over 80% so representation should be somewhere between these two numbers considering the lag as newcomers produce new generations that get more politically active.

Not to mention white is a pretty crappy term considering the number of cultures which are very different from one another. Look I live in a central European country that is classified as eastern European, you bet you the cards are stacked against all the white people here inside Europe. They are discriminated by Germans, Dutch, Brits, Swedes, Austrians, French etc. You think as a Pole you can get a high position within a German company? The chance is miniscule. You think as a Czech you can get the same job as a Dutch person in say Switzerland? Again cards stacked against you. If your last name ends with ski and you are born in Austria good luck, you will have to work three times as hard to get ahead and you will still have doors shut to you. You have ova in your last name? Doesnt matter where you are born, you are looked down upon as second class by ever German, Dane, etc. they just won't say it to your face.

So frankly this white privilege bull crap is rather insulting and it has no place in our society. Me as a white immigrant (80s refugee) had to work twice as hard to get to where I am (I am now back in Europe). I didnt get to check any special boxes to get real privilage.

People should focus rather on their nation. Their community and collegues and see each other as one team when within the same one big class. Focus on those trying to turn us agaisnt each other and break our solidarity. Look at the politicians that push identity politics. Look at the media that pusjes identity politics. They are the problem.
Europe and Canada are different places.

No one will tell you that an Oliver Smith, a Ben Schmidt, a Stefan Kovacic, and an Anton Kowalski have a different Canadian experience and most people probably can't tell the difference; but most people would be able to tell the difference between a FN Canadian and a white Canadian, and (for whatever reason) it's pretty well accepted that FN in BC tend to live a different life than the rest of the province.

Surely you'd agree that in Germany there is German privilege.

Ultimately I think that the NDP policy seems pretty poorly thought out though.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 11:53 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
I dont get the discussion about centuries when 40 years ago Canada was over 95% Caucasian. It still is well over 80% so representation should be somewhere between these two numbers considering the lag as newcomers produce new generations that get more politically active.

Not to mention white is a pretty crappy term considering the number of cultures which are very different from one another. Look I live in a central European country that is classified as eastern European, you bet you the cards are stacked against all the white people here inside Europe. They are discriminated by Germans, Dutch, Brits, Swedes, Austrians, French etc. You think as a Pole you can get a high position within a German company? The chance is miniscule. You think as a Czech you can get the same job as a Dutch person in say Switzerland? Again cards stacked against you. If your last name ends with ski and you are born in Austria good luck, you will have to work three times as hard to get ahead and you will still have doors shut to you. You have ova in your last name? Doesnt matter where you are born, you are looked down upon as second class by ever German, Dane, etc. they just won't say it to your face.

So frankly this white privilege bull crap is rather insulting and it has no place in our society. Me as a white immigrant (80s refugee) had to work twice as hard to get to where I am (I am now back in Europe). I didnt get to check any special boxes to get real privilage.

People should focus rather on their nation. Their community and collegues and see each other as one team when within the same one big class. Focus on those trying to turn us agaisnt each other and break our solidarity. Look at the politicians that push identity politics. Look at the media that pusjes identity politics. They are the problem.
You just implied there was a privilege of being German in Germany. So why would there not be the same in Canada?

And trust me, you did check boxes. You just were not aware of it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
So two polls out that show the NDP not really suffering much of the backlash as they were conducted at election call and after. Seems like that was more of a Liberal talking point, and besides that, anyone who thinks voting for Wilkinson would teach Horgan a lesson probably wasn't a committed NDPer anyway. No one that wants to put the province at risk of returning to Liberal policies would seriously flip to the BC Liberals at this point just because they're mad they have to *gasp* participate in democracy.

NDP up 44-37 in the Research Co poll (and the NDP up compared to the previous poll by that outfit), and up 42-29 in the Insights West poll, also released today, though that's more like 42-37 given the Conservatives are at 12% in that poll and they won't garner anywhere close to that on election night.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 11:46 PM

Just curious - how many here have requested a mail-in ballot?
I did on Monday

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
So two polls out that show the NDP not really suffering much of the backlash as they were conducted at election call and after. Seems like that was more of a Liberal talking point, and besides that, anyone who thinks voting for Wilkinson would teach Horgan a lesson probably wasn't a committed NDPer anyway. No one that wants to put the province at risk of returning to Liberal policies would seriously flip to the BC Liberals at this point just because they're mad they have to *gasp* participate in democracy.

NDP up 44-37 in the Research Co poll (and the NDP up compared to the previous poll by that outfit), and up 42-29 in the Insights West poll, also released today, though that's more like 42-37 given the Conservatives are at 12% in that poll and they won't garner anywhere close to that on election night.
Liberal talking points with nearly 60% of people against having an election in October.

The Greens actually play a spoiler role (not sure if it's for the Liberals or NDP) since the Conservatives rarely even get above 5% in any of the ridings they actually even registered in.

You need to go riding by riding to actually see what's going to happen in October. There are a few safe Liberal/NDP seats and maybe Green (?) but the rest are toss ups but probably favouring the incumbents.

CBC's poll tracker:

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elec...tish-columbia/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:33 PM
Joshua B.

#BREAKING BC Liberals promise to eliminate provincial sales tax for an entire year, then peg it at 3% following year. #bcpoli

https://twitter.com/keithbaldrey/sta...628219916?s=19

Big move and I think cements the BC Liberals the election. That combined with the removal of the speculation and vacancy tax. The NDP cannot top this, they run the risk of being severely reckless if they do.

Fantastic move by AW and the Libs.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
That combined with the removal of the speculation and vacancy tax.
That’s how they lose all those ridings in Metro Vancouver.
Actually, where do you even see that? Or are you an insider??

Edit: Never mind, I found it.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/vancouve...e76a4a424/amp/
I think it’s a bad idea. My friend who own partly owns an apartment told me that NDP actually kept the price down.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:48 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That’s how they lose all those ridings in Metro Vancouver.
Actually, where do you even see that? Or are you an insider??

Edit: Never mind, I found it.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/vancouve...e76a4a424/amp/
People forget that a majority of people in the Lower Mainland are property owners. They need equity gains in property. This will be a resounding move to increase activity in the real estate market.

The BC Liberals are not popular amongst youth and renters. Who cares. Most of them either dont vote or get swayed easily (ie. removal of tolls). This move grabs a tremendous amounts of votes.

Essentially this election is now a referendum against the Provincial Sales Tax.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post

The BC Liberals are not popular amongst youth and renters. Who cares. Most of them either dont vote or get swayed easily (ie. removal of tolls). This move grabs a tremendous amounts of votes.
You'll be eating your words. If anything, elections in the last 4 years have proven that voting is more important now more than ever.

Being easily swayed - absolutely. Canadians (in general) are terrible for falling for sensationalized mainstream headlines without reading full articles or doing their own research.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
You'll be eating your words. If anything, elections in the last 4 years have proven that voting is more important now more than ever.
I was gonna say that too.
Quote:
Most of them either dont vote
Say that in Ontario, I might believe you. Say that in B.C., uh nah.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:
#BREAKING BC Liberals promise to eliminate provincial sales tax for an entire year, then peg it at 3% following year. #bcpoli

Big move and I think cements the BC Liberals the election. That combined with the removal of the speculation and vacancy tax. The NDP cannot top this, they run the risk of being severely reckless if they do.

An incredibly stupid move.

There goes the BC Liberal's only claimed advantage, better stewards of the economy. It was a sham anyway, but they threw it out the window.

I had to laugh at Wilkinson's promise of "free" flu shots. This from the party that burdened British Columbians with a fee for their "free" healthcare!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:

I didn't know they loved being in debt that much.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:22 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

Being easily swayed - absolutely. Canadians (in general) are terrible for falling for sensationalized mainstream headlines without reading full articles or doing their own research.
I disagree. Historically we know youth turnout has been dreadful.

Rumor says the next promise is to completely dismantle ICBC before their changes are scheduled to take effect next May.

ICBC has 12 bil in assets and this can instantly be used to balance the budget by 2022. This would also be a very populist move.

NDP have nothing. Zero. They can promise hospitals and social spending but the cost savings of British Columbians will far outweight it.

The centrist in me is worrying about potential massive cuts to social spending long-term.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
I didn't know they loved being in debt that much.
I'd expect it to be paired with a trimming of "unnecessary" spending from education/transit/health/etc, which is on par with most conservative parties.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:38 PM

Elections Canada cites the "youth vote" as 18-24 year olds. Unless we are referring to "millennial youth" who have kids and own homes.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:02 PM

If anything, those seem like Hail Mary "maybe if we promise the moon we might get elected, we'll figure out the details if we actually win" promises. Definitely look like policies from a position of weakness in my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:03 PM

Andrew "YOLO" Wilkinson really swinging for the fences on the first week in. Wacky times, as he would say.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:04 PM

Quote:

Well, I have to replace my badly aging car and maybe I'll hold off for a few months, even though my car is almost old enough to vote!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:20 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I don't recall the previous BC Liberals cutting money from transit...if anything they dumped quite a bit into transit projects.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Andrew "YOLO" Wilkinson really swinging for the fences on the first week in. Wacky times, as he would say.
Yep, so he's eliminating the PST, elimintaing the Speculation Tax, what's next, will he eliminate ICBC premiums?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics