HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:03 PM

As the province does its community outreach with its Rental Task Force, there is a frustration and uneasiness on both sides about what will come out of it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Vision candidate Ian Campbell withdraws from Vancouver mayoral race
FRANCES BULA VANCOUVER SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 10, 2018 UPDATED 13 MINUTES AGO
The mayoral candidate for the party that has ruled Vancouver for a decade dropped out of the election campaign abruptly Monday, a move that prompted new calculations in the complex calculus of this fall's municipal election.

Squamish hereditary chief Ian Campbell, who had been touted as Vision Vancouver’s mayoral candidate since June and the city’s first-ever Indigenous candidate for a major civic party, issued a vague statement to accompany his decision.

“With the deadline quickly approaching to formally enter the race, I’ve reflected on the political landscape and my complicated personal journey,” said the statement. “When I put all these pieces together, it seems clear that the best choice is for me to withdraw as candidate for Mayor of Vancouver.”

Vision spokesman Michael Haack, in the same statement, said: “Ian Campbell informed the party this afternoon of his decision to withdraw from the race. We have accepted his decision and support his choice to not move forward.”
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-mayoral-race/

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status...10683282661377

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:56 AM

RIP Vision. Question is, will voters jump ship to Kennedy Stewart, OneCity or the Greens?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 6:22 AM

Good riddance to Vision Vancouver.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:48 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

I can't help but wonder if this is in part due the conflict of interest that Campbell has. On one part, he'd be the hereditary leader of a FN doing billions in local property development. On the other hand, he'd be the Mayor of the city approving zoning changes, and negotiating CACs.

That's a pretty hard dual role to justify.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
RIP Vision. Question is, will voters jump ship to Kennedy Stewart, OneCity or the Greens?
Of those choices the only choice is Kennedy Stewart, as neither OneCity nor the Greens are running mayoral candidates.

I think what you probably meant to ask was "will voters jump ship to Kennedy Stewart or Shauna Sylvester?"

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:06 PM

It might also have to do with him polling fourth and people being sick of Vision. Not a good ship to go down with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Of those choices the only choice is Kennedy Stewart, as neither OneCity nor the Greens are running mayoral candidates.

I think what you probably meant to ask was "will voters jump ship to Kennedy Stewart or Shauna Sylvester?"
Nope, Vision's running Council and School Board candidates too. Though Stewart indeed does not belong on that list.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Nope, Vision's running Council and School Board candidates too. Though Stewart indeed does not belong on that list.
Ian Campbell was running for mayor. Voters who were going to vote for Ian Campbell will be jumping ship to one of the other mayoral candidates, and given the options, they'll be jumping to either Kennedy Stewart or Shauna Sylvester. That's the point I was making.

What's less likely is that Vision voters will now not vote Vision candidates for council or school board. They likely will, but now they have a choice to make for mayor.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Ian Campbell was running for mayor. Voters who were going to vote for Ian Campbell will be jumping ship to one of the other mayoral candidates, and given the options, they'll be jumping to either Kennedy Stewart or Shauna Sylvester. That's the point I was making.

What's less likely is that Vision voters will now not vote Vision candidates for council or school board. They likely will, but now they have a choice to make for mayor.
Kind of moot since his support was really low anyway. The timing of this really stinks, right before a bunch of disclosures were due as the official deadline approaches.

A real slap in the face to other people who ran for the nomination against him as well.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
And that's the point I was making. If voters decide that all of Vision doesn't have a chance, they'll likely switch to a "winning" party.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
And that's the point I was making. If voters decide that all of Vision doesn't have a chance, they'll likely switch to a "winning" party.
Gotcha! I agree with that a bit, but would still love to see Tanya Paz on council. (note I don't live in Vancouver anyhow)

In another development, current Vision councillors Kerry Jang and Tim Stevenson (neither of whom are running for re-election) both endorsed Kennedy Stewart.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Gotcha! I agree with that a bit, but would still love to see Tanya Paz on council. (note I don't live in Vancouver anyhow)

In another development, current Vision councillors Kerry Jang and Tim Stevenson (neither of whom are running for re-election) both endorsed Kennedy Stewart.
What's so special about Tanya Paz?

I'm predicting Stewart as Mayor, NPA and independents filling in a bunch of council seats.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 6:54 PM
scared of rain

I think Stewart has the best shot for for Mayor. Carr and Fry on Council for sure. The rest is up for grabs.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
What's so special about Tanya Paz?
I like her for her active transportation background. I feel like having that voice on council would help Vancouver continue to make good strides towards making the city safer for pedestrians and cyclists. It's like how Andrea Reimer is a strong voice for renters.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:12 AM

Quote:

Who would actually accept an endorsement from Jang? What a disaster...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
Who would actually accept an endorsement from Jang? What a disaster...
Isn't he the idiot who pulled the PRC anniversary flag stunt a while back? Why does he think he still has a chance?!?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Isn't he the idiot who pulled the PRC anniversary flag stunt a while back? Why does he think he still has a chance?!?
He's not running for re-election.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:46 AM

Quote:
He's not running for re-election.
Thanks. Apparently forgot how to read this morning.

Still, if I were Kennedy Stewart, I'd sweep that one under the rug real fast.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Yep, he is, but as CanSpice said, he isn't running again. His arrogance and obstinacy does have its limits -- even he saw the writing on the wall this cycle.

The guy is sanctimonious and extremely self-righteous, a dangerous combination for any elected official. His response to an email I wrote him about that flag-raising was to call me uneducated and tell me to P off.

Thrilled to see the back of him.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
Yep, he is, but as CanSpice said, he isn't running again. His arrogance and obstinacy does have its limits -- even he saw the writing on the wall this cycle.

The guy is sanctimonious and extremely self-righteous, a dangerous combination for any elected official. His response to an email I wrote him about that flag-raising was to call me uneducated and tell me to P off.

Thrilled to see the back of him.
As in literally "p*ss off?" I kinda wish he were running, just to watch him crash and burn.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics