HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 1:31 AM

Vancouver Civic Election 2018

Too soon? Though we're less than a year away. I thought it appropriate it as the NPA's George Affleck announced he wasn't going to run again, either for mayor or council, which is a shame. The Straight speculates he wasn't nasty enough for the BC Liberal cabal that calls the shots at the NPA.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Too soon? Though we're less than a year away. I thought it appropriate it as the NPA's George Affleck announced he wasn't going to run again, either for mayor or council, which is a shame. The Straight speculates he wasn't nasty enough for the BC Liberal cabal that calls the shots at the NPA.
As long as we don't have a certain forum member who goes all out for the NPA and then deletes every single post after his party loses...

I like George, I know him personally (though not well). He is a nice guy, and very well meaning. I'm not sure what really happened, but if you talk to him, his ideas aren't really far off of what Vision is doing, just the way they go about things. There is no such thing as a right wing party in Vancouver. If the BC Liberals force a more right wing agenda at the NPA, they will be sorely disappointed with the results.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:28 PM

Happenings at the NPA board/leadership level:

http://thebreaker.news/news/shocker-...oard-election/

Sounds a bit embarrassing for a major political party in a city like Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:08 AM

Really hope we get some solid choices to compete against our illustrious incumbent.

Disappointed that Andrea Reimer couldn't push Gregor out even if she wasn't going to run herself.

Ten years of him is enough -- it'd be enough for any half-decent mayor -- and we need a change.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
Really hope we get some solid choices to compete against our illustrious incumbent.

Disappointed that Andrea Reimer couldn't push Gregor out even if she wasn't going to run herself.

Ten years of him is enough -- it'd be enough for any half-decent mayor -- and we need a change.
Reimer is an even bigger kook than Moonbeam.

But agree, anything has got to be better than him

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Happenings at the NPA board/leadership level:

http://thebreaker.news/news/shocker-...oard-election/

Sounds a bit embarrassing for a major political party in a city like Vancouver.
Well, at the end of the day it's just civic politics in a small city of 650k people. Most cities don't even have political parties. It would be interesting to know if this had anything to do with Affleck's departure.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Well, at the end of the day it's just civic politics in a small city of 650k people. Most cities don't even have political parties. It would be interesting to know if this had anything to do with Affleck's departure.
Funny how many people on this forum light their hair on fire over "civic politics for a small city of 650k people". They blame the mayor for just about everything wrong with life here.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you for bringing that up. I'd contend that much of Vancouver's civic problems have been exacerbated, and not helped, by the presence of political parties at the civic level. I'd PAY to eliminate all civic parties, literally pay, and call it my investment in a better future.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I always enjoy Charlie Smith, but he imagines waaaay more BC Liberal-NPA linkages than actually exist. Some of the stuff in there is really off the wall.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:23 AM

Wai Young is running?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:58 AM

With Gregor going I wonder if Raymond Louie will run for the job that Robertson waltzed in and stole from him in 2008?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 9:20 PM

By Robin Perelle
Jan 11, 2018, 8:25 PM EST
Quote:
Pioneering gay Vancouver politician won’t run again
‘Everything that I really wanted to see accomplished within our community I think has been done,’ says city councillor Tim Stevenson
Quote:
“To be honest with you,” Stevenson tells Xtra Jan 9, 2018, on the phone from Maui where he’s vacationing with his husband, “I made a decision that I wouldn’t run again about a year ago.”
https://www.dailyxtra.com/pioneering...un-again-83503

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 10:05 PM

As someone who lives in metro Vancouver, but not the city, I'm interested ins what people are looking for a in a new council / mayor. Many seem critical of Gregor Robertson, but nobody really specifies what should have been done differently, or what should change going forward.

Not taking a side, just curious what people want. In my experience city councils don't have much power outside of zoning.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 7:49 PM

Now that Kerry Jang has said he's not running, does that leave Raymond Louie as the sole Vision survivor?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:03 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMD View Post
As someone who lives in metro Vancouver, but not the city, I'm interested ins what people are looking for a in a new council / mayor. Many seem critical of Gregor Robertson, but nobody really specifies what should have been done differently, or what should change going forward.

Not taking a side, just curious what people want. In my experience city councils don't have much power outside of zoning.
Not trying to force everyone onto bicycles through social engineering, for one. He closed roads and lanes, raised parking rates, and failed to approve any badly needed improvements. These have all had a huge negative impact on my daily life.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Now that Kerry Jang has said he's not running, does that leave Raymond Louie as the sole Vision survivor?
Until she says otherwise, I'd assume Heather Deal is running again.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:10 PM

Adrian Crook of "5 Kids 1 Condo" is running as an NPA councilor, on a housing density platform. Interesting stuff, he's the opposite of what I would consider to be the old school NPA. It will be telling to see who is their mayoral candidate and what their platform is.

Adrian is a huge supporter of: more affordable housing, cycling, transit, removing the viaducts, etc. Sounds very "Vision" on paper, although their brand is pretty toxic these days.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Adrian Crook of "5 Kids 1 Condo" is running as an NPA councilor, on a housing density platform. Interesting stuff, he's the opposite of what I would consider to be the old school NPA. It will be telling to see who is their mayoral candidate and what their platform is.

Adrian is a huge supporter of: more affordable housing, cycling, transit, removing the viaducts, etc. Sounds very "Vision" on paper, although their brand is pretty toxic these days.
If they're not careful they will end up with a very mixed, confusing message.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Well Bremner just got elected on a proposition to massively re-zone everything. His seat wasn't a deciding vote, so he could say anything really. Not a traditional NPA stance.

The NPA has traditionally suffered from a lack of a cohesive vision. They'll need a strong mayoral candidate to succeed.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
"Pro-development, anti-corruption, anti-bike lanes" is pretty much all they need.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics