HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Picture is offside. But it is circa 1965 and they didn't know better.

There is simply no issue with the Eskimos name. (Case closed)

Next on the docket. The Cowboy looks like Hoss Cartright!
Shit! I did not realize that was supposed to be an "Eskimo"...I read the promo add above and thought it was a Mexican in a straw hat! Happen to be done in Mexico right now and those hats are still the rage in the back of beyond.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:42 AM
SUSPENDED

Ya lucky duck. Have a Rum and club soda for me....hold the Rum.

Yeah pic is a little creepy also. Guys gotta see a dentist!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 1:26 AM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Fucking hilarious. Those of you who say there's no racism intended are being willfully stupid. And second, do none of you see the irony in a bunch of rich white guys deciding what an indigenous group should and shouldn't be offended by?

It's just a stupid fucking name. Not even a particularily good one. Super easy to change. Some people are offended by it whether you find it justified or not. How about for once in our lives we stop being cunts and telling other cultural groups what they should or shouldn't think.

You guys really are a bunch of twats sometimes.
I've tried to stay out of this debate based on past experience - virtually no one wants to confront the possibility that they might harbour some degree of racism. It's far less uncomfortable to believe those calling for change are simply faking outrage, that way no effort has to be expended trying to understand anyone else's perspective.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:28 AM

Some Inuit are proud Edmonton football team called Eskimos
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/insi...called-eskimos

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Some Inuit are proud Edmonton football team called Eskimos
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/insi...called-eskimos
Good article. I think that adds the necessary perspective and everyone can move on from a non issue.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
It was the Irish immigrants who set up that university.

Stampeders is a reference to the Cowboys for which Calgarians have embraced as part of their cultural identity. Speaking for the animals is going to be weird. If Calgary chooses to do away with the Cowboy identity, I can see them changing.

Maybe. We'll have to keep our ears open.

It is odd. However, I would defer to the voices in the Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Icelandic immigrant communities.

Well, first thing is first. The maple leaf as a national symbol will have to be replaced before Toronto can be too ashamed for bearing that symbol. And I don't see that being replaced until there is a civil war where we come to regret that past. Then it would be like teams bearing the Southern Cross of America.
This is a creative post!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:18 AM
Community Guy

Was that an Eskimo or an Oiler?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 1:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I agree with you 100%. That said, I just looked at my crotch and yup my balls and banger are still there so I am not a twat.
Ca·nuck
kəˈnək/
informal
noun
a Canadian (sometimes derogatory in US use).
"as a true Canuck, Hayden loves pizza"
adjective
Canadian.
"an impressive lineup of Canuck screen veterans"

Hey Bulliver, I guess the term Canuck is derogatory. You know what, I'm a Canadian, and I find the term Canuck offensive and derogatory, therefore I demand that the Vancouver Canucks change their name.

You know, its only a name.

Also, why so much foul language in your post, do think that helps emphasize some type of righteous point you are trying to make?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 2:03 PM

Post deleted as I did not want it to be part of this garbage thread.... I simply posted pictures of the arena...

Last edited by mcc16; Dec 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 2:39 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

It's a non-issue when "some" are offended, and it's a non-issue when "some" are not.

Selection bias strikes again...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I agree with you 100%. That said, I just looked at my crotch and yup my balls and banger are still there so I am not a twat.
I think it's very telling that these windmill chasers didn't take exception over your statement.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Fucking hilarious. Those of you who say there's no racism intended are being willfully stupid. And second, do none of you see the irony in a bunch of rich white guys deciding what an indigenous group should and shouldn't be offended by?

It's just a stupid fucking name. Not even a particularily good one. Super easy to change. Some people are offended by it whether you find it justified or not. How about for once in our lives we stop being cunts and telling other cultural groups what they should or shouldn't think.

You guys really are a bunch of twats sometimes.
This. Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Picture is offside. But it is circa 1965 and they didn't know better.

There is simply no issue with the Eskimos name. (Case closed)

Next on the docket. The Cowboy looks like Hoss Cartright!
...Yet we apparently know better, but still cling to the name that is grounded in that sort of stereotype and imagery?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
This. Exactly.

...Yet we apparently know better, but still cling to the name that is grounded in that sort of stereotype and imagery?
Read Staples article and tell me what percentage need to be offended before we change something? The older I get the more I realize some people aren't happy unless they're offended by something. The opinion of those people really doesn't matter to me because they'll never be happy regardless what you do. If however a sizable contingent is offended (25%?), I'd have no problems exploring name a name change; not that I'm in a position to do it.

Keep in mind that the leader of an organization sometimes has an opinion totally contrary to that of the people he/she represents. Just look at the Police Chief's Association opinion compared to the front line police attitude towards the long gun registry.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
Read Staples article and tell me what percentage need to be offended before we change something? The older I get the more I realize some people aren't happy unless they're offended by something. The opinion of those people really doesn't matter to me because they'll never be happy regardless what you do. If however a sizable contingent is offended (25%?), I'd have no problems exploring name a name change; not that I'm in a position to do it.

Keep in mind that the leader of an organization sometimes has an opinion totally contrary to that of the people he/she represents. Just look at the Police Chief's Association opinion compared to the front line police attitude towards the long gun registry.
I care less about percentages than a bunch of people who make up the most privileged part of society speaking for what others should or should not be offended by. The suggestion that this is a non-issue by people that don't actually have to live with underlying problems is ridiculous. It's easy for people within the populations who pretty much run the world to sit back and complain about people being too sensitive or easily offended.

It's fully reasonable for northern indigenous people to have an open and honest discourse about where they stand and feel about the name of the team. This would include actually listening and recognizing those people instead of finding some people that aren't offended and holding them up to justify a point of view. This would include engaging in that discussion in a place of respect without the typical colonial undertones (at least to the degree that is even possible). A column that found many people aren't offended doesn't really help. It could at least start the conversation, but instead its being thrown around as if it somehow prooves that everything is okay as is and nobody should be offended.

It's not reasonable for a bunch of white guys in Edmonton to suggest that those people have no reason, or no right to be offended.

Canada, and especially places like Edmonton with some deeply embeded racial problems have a long way to go before we have any actually productive discussions about these types of issues.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:30 PM

Quote:
I care less about percentages than a bunch of people who make up the most privileged part of society speaking for what others should or should not be offended by. ...It's easy for people within the populations who pretty much run the world to sit back and complain about people being too sensitive or easily offended.
...A column that found many people aren't offended doesn't really help. It could at least start the conversation, but instead its being thrown around as if it somehow prooves that everything is okay as is and nobody should be offended. ... It's not reasonable for a bunch of white guys in Edmonton to suggest that those people have no reason, or no right to be offended.
...Canada, and especially places like Edmonton with some deeply embeded racial problems have a long way to go before we have any actually productive discussions about these types of issues.
So, you want to suggest that whites rule the world, that you don't care about the opinion of white people, that you don't care what percentage of people are actually offended by something before demanding action, AND somehow want productive discussions about these types of issues.

Gotcha.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:38 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
So, you want to suggest that whites rule the world,
Slow down captain, the British have long ruled Canada. We are in a slow process of looking at how to untangle the mess after they acceded their power.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Slow down captain, the British have long ruled Canada. We are in a slow process of looking at how to untangle the mess after they acceded their power.
I think that the French need to take some of that blame as well, not just the British. But ultimately given a complete lack of British or French heritage, I do get tired of getting lumped in with a certain cultures or group of past decision-makers because of the colour of my skin. Likewise I get tired of inferences that white people are the only people in the world capable of being racist, bigoted, or that my opinion doesn't matter because of the colour of my skin, even when my opinion is 'Hey, at first make sure the impacted group is truly being served by the demanded action.'

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
So, you want to suggest that whites rule the world, that you don't care about the opinion of white people, that you don't care what percentage of people are actually offended by something before demanding action, AND somehow want productive discussions about these types of issues.

Gotcha.
Dude...if you honestly don't believe that white people have quite a position of privilege in the current world system then I'm not sure what to tell you.

And to be quite honest, no, I don't care about the opinion of white people when they feel the need to speak for other people without actually respectfully listening first. This applies to any advanted/disadvanted group.And an article by David Staples doesn't count.

But as often happens in conversations moved to this thread, I'm out. This type of pattern happens over and over and I should know by now it's not worth it, especially when it starts venturing into hearing how hard done by people with privilege are.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Rename them the Edmonton Excellence.

They go from the Eskies to the Exies. Can keep the logo & colours & everything.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Dude...if you honestly don't believe that white people have quite a position of privilege in the current world system then I'm not sure what to tell you.

And to be quite honest, no, I don't care about the opinion of white people when they feel the need to speak for other people without actually respectfully listening first. This applies to any advanted/disadvanted group.And an article by David Staples doesn't count.

But as often happens in conversations moved to this thread, I'm out. This type of pattern happens over and over and I should know by now it's not worth it, especially when it starts venturing into hearing how hard done by people with privilege are.
Why don't you look past your hatred of whites and re-read what I wrote.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton