HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 2:16 AM

Back in the early 1900's it was going to cost $20,000 to move the Gardo House which was deemed to be too expensive at the time so they demolished it instead.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:56 AM

Gardo House History...WOW !

I found a VERY informative and interesting article about the Gardo House:

http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_cha...ardohouse.html

Check it out...!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:09 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
I could be wrong, but as I understood it, the tall building was a residential tower, and the Federal Reserves bank is the building on the corner, which replaced the Gardo house. Which is why I thought it odd that the proposed residential tower between Eagle Gate and Zion's Bank towers, was shortened and it's use was changed from residential to office. I think the first proposal was more historically accurate.
Maybe you're right. I do know the mid-rise was built at the exact time as the corner building.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Maybe you're right. I do know the mid-rise was built at the exact time as the corner building.
You are all close, but don't quite have it yet. Yes, the short building on the corner was the Federal Reserve Bank, which replaced the Gardo House in the 1920's, and was in turn replaced by the Eagle Gate Tower in the 1980's. The taller building was the Medical Arts Building, which I believe was office space--I can't imagine a residential building with that name. I think it bit the dust a bit earlier, probably in the 1970's for mall construction.

The article that skyscrapers4Me linked also has some great pics of the Gardo, including one showing the Federal Reserve and the Medical Arts under construction at the same time--and it is an awesome read, if you've got a few minutes. The house had quite an interesting and colorful fifty years. If had been built in a different spot, it very well may have survived to present day.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 4:50 AM

ahh, from a picture that Comrade posted in another thread:

Under construction:

(Utah State Historical Society)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 8:41 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonkey View Post
You are all close, but don't quite have it yet.

The article that skyscrapers4Me linked also has some great pics of the Gardo, including one showing the Federal Reserve and the Medical Arts under construction at the same time
That's what I said.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 2:13 AM

Here are some "classic" SLC photos I took while I lived there. These are from late 1996 or early 1997. These were scanned in, so the quality is not that great.

You can see that the American Stores tower is topped out. There are also cranes visible for the Brigham Apartments on South Temple, Gateway Tower West, and the courts building across from the City/County Building.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 2:30 AM

When 1996 is "classic", I'm getting old.

Nice finds.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 3:23 AM
Exit 298

Yes! My car is now a classic! Now to get some of those collector car plates!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 5:21 AM

Wow. I have ALWAYS wanted to see more pictures of the America Stores Tower being constructed! I saw one on I think a post card once, but it was pretty much done. That made me really happy! =D

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 4:37 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazefirelight View Post
Wow. I have ALWAYS wanted to see more pictures of the America Stores Tower being constructed! I saw one on I think a post card once, but it was pretty much done. That made me really happy! =D
I want to see all the pics of of towers under construction from LDS on.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 5:40 PM
Bring out the cranes...

wow, I've never seen a pic of Salt Lake's skyline with the Wells Fargo building ( America Stores Tower ) getting built.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 8:03 PM
Verticle

Triad Center

Does anyone have renderings of the original Triad Centre development? I seem to remember a Utah Holiday Magazine issue with a cover showing the twin (32 story?) towers in the copper colored windows that were also used for the buildings that were eventually constructed. Does anyone have this that they can post? I have looked for these elsewhere on the forum, but never was able to locate them.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 10:15 PM

Ahhh...My Father and his brothers...

My father and his brothers all had their first medical offices in the Medial Arts building. I still remember, when I was really little, the candy and cigarette stand on the lobby floor.

The floors were tiny and crammed with offices.

They later moved to 935 East South Temple. The Stevenson Clinic which in the early 90's was sold it to the Ronald McDonald foundation.

Memories!

How bout them Utes!!!

Go Utes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonkey View Post
You are all close, but don't quite have it yet. Yes, the short building on the corner was the Federal Reserve Bank, which replaced the Gardo House in the 1920's, and was in turn replaced by the Eagle Gate Tower in the 1980's. The taller building was the Medical Arts Building, which I believe was office space--I can't imagine a residential building with that name. I think it bit the dust a bit earlier, probably in the 1970's for mall construction.

The article that skyscrapers4Me linked also has some great pics of the Gardo, including one showing the Federal Reserve and the Medical Arts under construction at the same time--and it is an awesome read, if you've got a few minutes. The house had quite an interesting and colorful fifty years. If had been built in a different spot, it very well may have survived to present day.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Rick View Post
They later moved to 935 East South Temple. The Stevenson Clinic which in the early 90's was sold it to the Ronald McDonald foundation.

Memories!
I practically grew up two houses north of that clinic, my grandmother lived there and we would ride our bikes in their parking lot, play football in the wide park strip along N street, buy candy at the pharmacy. Memories indeed.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 11:20 PM

I'll try to find the original "plans" for the Triad Center. Here's a nice little quote out of Time Magazine ( http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...3261-7,00.html ) :

Khashoggi's most public debacle has been in Utah, where he was attracted by what he believed were prime development opportunities. The centerpiece of his $1 billion Salt Lake City project is the Triad Center, a $400 million, 25-acre complex of office buildings, a hotel and retail shops. Work stopped after only about a third of the glitzy complex was completed. Khashoggi refuses to cave in to Triad's creditors, among them architects, contractors and banks. "They loaned the money against the collateral, the Triad Center," he says. "Now they hear rumors about my cash-flow problems and call the loans. I am not going to bring in cash from other businesses to pay the bankers. The collateral is all they will get if they persist." In Salt Lake City, Khashoggi was regarded as a hero for ten years; now he is branded a fraud. "If he is the richest man in the world and he is flying around in a gilded plane," says Mayor Palmer Depaulis, "why isn't he paying his debts here?"

Triad was supposed to be a 3-phase project. Obviously, only phase 1 was finished, and at Salt Lake City's expense. If I remember right, folks over in Denver tried to warn us, "This guy's a con artist !" but nobody listened, until it was too late.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 11:52 PM
They all float down here

Imagine if that campus was still on Main Street. Lame.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 10:29 PM

Here's another lost, iconic structure. I again apologize for the shitty photo quality--this is another scan of old newspaper.

The corner of West Temple and 200 South.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:54 PM

Lightbulb Salt Palace Arena

Here's a little nicer pic of the Salt Palace Arena. The picture was taken by
"azzurrolou" on flickr. com .

It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that they tore it down ! I had to do a little searching to find a decent pic, which is kind of amusing, because it used to be in all the standard "Salt Lake City skyline" pics, years after it was demolished. Sort of like the current pics that show the Crossroads Tower ( old Key Bank ) intact and the "old-skinned" boxy Kennecott Building ( now Zions Bank Building ).

Has anybody else noticed that too? Even the local news stations have those two structures in the background, behind the anchor desk! Maybe they're waiting for City Creek Center to be completed, but still...how hard is it to take a new photo ???

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 12:20 AM
BANNED

I don't think it was the Salt Palace we were supposed to be looking at...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West