HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

...Anthony C. Meehleis Reinforcing Steel

The Loves and Adventures of an LA Steel Contractor

In 1940 Anthony C. Meehleis is married to Dorothy.

In 1942 he's left Dorothy and is married to Betty.

By 1944 he has divorced Betty and already married, and about to be divorced, from Constance ... and is still thinking of Betty.

cdn.shopify.com

That was a busy four years.

Thirteen years on ...

cdnc.ucr.edu - San Bernardino Sun - 24 October 1957

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jan 18, 2019 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typographical error

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:04 PM

1938, interesting protest in L.A.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:44 PM

While we're on the west side of Bunker Hill, have we seen this January 1955 photo of the 4th Street cut before?

Huntington Digital Library

Zooming in, there's another of those red tankers in almost the same place. The company in the background doesn't appear in the 1956 CD, but the Industrial Sanitary Supply Co is at 400 S Boylston in 1960.

Detail of photo above

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:55 PM

Harry's Place

Both images, L.A. Times via ProQuest via CSULB Library.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:19 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:24 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

In 1924 he married the woman with reputedly the most beautiful back in Hollywood, Kathryn Harris.

Melbourne turned his back on Kathryn the next year and they were divorced in 1926.
You have a way with words Noir Noir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Another short lived marriage to the German born actress Lena Melana followed.

Here's Lena circa 1927, photographed by Melbourne, outside their home at 148 South La Peer Drive in Beverly Hills.

i.pinimg.com

148 South La Peer Drive these days.

GSV
Whenever I see a location 'find' like this, I always wonder if the current homeowners know anything about the history of their home.
Aware or not, I bet they would love to see that photograph of Lena Melena, taken so many year ago, at their front door. (I know I would)

Here's another photo of of Lena, in heavy makeup.
Later

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's an amazing snapshot of Los Angeles Street decorated for the 1932 Olympics.
I can't resist a closer look.

WOW!

There you have the Martz Flats, which go back on NLA all the way to your post 1203 of May 6, 2010...except that the pic is missing. Here's one from Beaudry's 3790 of a year later:

More on Mr. Martz and his house and his Flats here

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 10:17 PM

Here is the missing photograph that GW mentioned.

Martz Flats, taken on July 1, 1965. (shortly before demolition)

ucla archives

I fixed my 2010 post as well.

Thanks for the heads up GW.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 18, 2019 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I'm sure most of you know that's the old Queen Mary [1936] at the right. Notice that her aft decks are crowded with onlookers. She's still there but the Goose is long gone.

I've forgotten, why isn't the Goose there any more?
___

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

L.A. Times via ProQuest via CSULB Library.[/SIZE]

I guess this got settled somehow, I believe the club opened on it's planned date.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

I've forgotten, why isn't the Goose there any more?
From Wikipedia:
In 1980, the Hercules aircraft was acquired by the Aero Club of Southern California, which later put the aircraft on display in a very large geodesic dome next to the Queen Mary ship exhibit in Long Beach, California. The large dome facility became known as the Spruce Goose Dome. The very large enclosed indoor dome area around the Spruce Goose consisted of meeting and special event space, elaborate audio visual displays about Howard Hughes and the Spruce Goose aircraft, and dining areas for tourists. Many convention groups held large dinners, sales meetings, and even concerts under the wings of the aircraft at night when the Spruce Goose Dome was closed to tourists. In 1988, The Walt Disney Company acquired both Long Beach attractions and the associated Long Beach real estate by Pier J. In 1991, Disney informed the Aero Club of Southern California that it no longer wished to display the Hercules aircraft after its highly ambitious Port Disney plan was scrapped.

After a long search for a suitable host, the Aero Club of Southern California arranged for the Hughes Hercules flying boat to be given to Evergreen Aviation Museum in exchange for payments and a percentage of the museum's profits. The aircraft was transported by barge, train, and truck to its current home in McMinnville, Oregon (about 40 miles (60 km) southwest of Portland), where it was reassembled by Contractors Cargo Company and is currently on display. The aircraft arrived in McMinnville on February 27, 1993, after a 138-day, 1,055-mile (1,698 km) trip from Long Beach. The Spruce Goose geodesic dome is now used by Carnival Cruise Lines as its Long Beach terminal.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

From Wikipedia:
In 1980, the Hercules aircraft was acquired by the Aero Club of Southern California, which later put the aircraft on display in a very large geodesic dome next to the Queen Mary ship exhibit in Long Beach, California. The large dome facility became known as the Spruce Goose Dome. The very large enclosed indoor dome area around the Spruce Goose consisted of meeting and special event space, elaborate audio visual displays about Howard Hughes and the Spruce Goose aircraft, and dining areas for tourists. Many convention groups held large dinners, sales meetings, and even concerts under the wings of the aircraft at night when the Spruce Goose Dome was closed to tourists. In 1988, The Walt Disney Company acquired both Long Beach attractions and the associated Long Beach real estate by Pier J. In 1991, Disney informed the Aero Club of Southern California that it no longer wished to display the Hercules aircraft after its highly ambitious Port Disney plan was scrapped.

After a long search for a suitable host, the Aero Club of Southern California arranged for the Hughes Hercules flying boat to be given to Evergreen Aviation Museum in exchange for payments and a percentage of the museum's profits. The aircraft was transported by barge, train, and truck to its current home in McMinnville, Oregon (about 40 miles (60 km) southwest of Portland), where it was reassembled by Contractors Cargo Company and is currently on display. The aircraft arrived in McMinnville on February 27, 1993, after a 138-day, 1,055-mile (1,698 km) trip from Long Beach. The Spruce Goose geodesic dome is now used by Carnival Cruise Lines as its Long Beach terminal.
My wife and I went to a Highlands festival in early 2017 at the Queen Mary. They're using the Goose's dome as exhibition space now. A tour of the Queen was included with the festival ticket. She's definitely seen better days; rust coming up through peeling paint, the wooden decks are worn and unsealed, etc. I recall an article in the LAT that Long Beach City Audit said it requires repairs in the tens of millions and revenue cant even come close. Such a shame for a beautiful piece of Art Deco design.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:43 AM

We have all seen the photographs of the Hercules, later known as theSpruce Goose, being transported down to Los Angeles Harbor from Hughs Corp. in Playa Vista.

I think the following photograph(s) is new to NLA...because I would have remembered the blimp overhead advertising Hughes' film, 'The Outlaw'.

June 16, 1946

UNLA archives

a closer look

If you look closely, I believe it also says JANE RUSSELL.

I'm surprised Hughes didn't hire two blimps to fly in tandem. (if you catch my drift)

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 19, 2019 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:31 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised Hughes didn't hire two blimps to fly in tandem. (if you catch my drift)

_

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:28 AM

I remember when I was a teenager in the '70s, Jane Russell was doing brassiere commercials on television. At that age, I didn't know who she was or why she would be doing those commercials. Then one day I saw a photo of her from her starlet days and realized "Oh, that's why"

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 6:32 AM
BANNED

long beach local news

How it all looks in 2018.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 7:43 AM

Quote:

a closer look

If you look closely, I believe it also says JANE RUSSELL. (with a small, but long, word above her name, and below 'The Outlaw' )

Jane and the Blimp -

houstonchronicle.com

The Blimp with different ad copy -

hometheaterforum.com

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 11:31 AM

Somewhere in the 30's. Shootings between George Farley and the police. G.F. age 48 was evicted from the house, he refused and killed the eviction officer and a police officer.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 11:39 AM

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

I remember when I was a teenager in the '70s, Jane Russell was doing brassiere commercials on television. At that age, I didn't know who she was or why she would be doing those commercials. Then one day I saw a photo of her from her starlet days and realized "Oh, that's why"
Given the British slang definition of the word "bristols", I now wonder how you acquired your screen name, Bristolian .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos