HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Case in point, Isn't FrontRunner dropping passengers off at the Ogden Depot?
The Frontrunner Platform in Ogden is at its own Intermodal Hub, across the 24th St. Viaduct from Union Station:

I have noticed that they recently rebuilt the original platform canopy behind the station. Frontrunner tracks run right next to the platform, so maybe they are planning on using the old platform somehow.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 5:46 PM
New Coloradan

The Airport line should use 4th West and let riders xfer to Frontrunner with a North Temple station. Riders could then use the Planetarim station to xfer to Sandy Trax and U Trax. Another loop idea I've heard tossed around is for the U Trax line to cross Main St, and continue down 4th South to the Hub. I like this idea, and would like to see a Transfer station at Courthouse/4th South/Main, perhaps with an elevated track/walkway. Also, stops near the hotel zone, Pioneer Park and the Rio Grande Depot.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 5:53 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Thanks for the info on the Ogden depot. Yet another bad decision in my opinion.

I don't agree on the North entrance South Entrance analogy for the two FrontRunner stations. It just seems redundant to have a second transfer point 3 blocks away, not really that seperate in my opinion when you are in the same place in two minutes from either station. A north and south Front Runner access to me would be having a Central Station and another one around 900 S or 1300 S, that would more of a dual entry strategy, 3 blocks away is just bad planning.

The N. Temple options ads time to both Trax and FrontRunner. Plus the additional cost of some sort of elavator system and station to transfer to and from. I don't claim to know the costs but building a new N. Temple viaduct that will accomodate Trax has to be more expensive than just a new N. Temple viaduct, add no to that the cost of the additional FrontRunner Station and the other transfer facilities. Take that money saved and apply it to putting the freight line below grade. In feel that placing freight below grade and running trax up 600 W at grade would improve the neighborhood more than leaving the freight line at grade and moving trax to 400 W.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 7:10 PM

The problem I see with a 600 west route is that there is no room on north temple for a trax station east of the freeway. You could place a Trax station on 600 west itself but that isn't nearly as good a location as north temple. Most of the developed space where people would be looking for a Trax stop is on North Temple. With a 400 west alignment you could have a Trax station on North Temple that is equidistant from the other Trax stations before it such as ESA.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 7:48 PM
New Coloradan

I think development behind the Gateway, 5th West-6th West would be nice to see if those freight lines could be relocated or placed underground, nice idea Future. But if that isn't a possibility, I wouldn't want to live back there. I lived for 6 months at the Gateway apartments and those trains were always blarring their horns. There is a lot of space back there that could be a nice TOD project, but not with the TRAINS!!!! If this can't be done, the only option for TRAX would be 4th West Also, what about it going straight down 4th West to Pioneer Park area, bypassing the hub and then left on 4th South to the University Line. That would loop all of downtown, except East of State.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 7:52 PM
New Coloradan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
I think development behind the Gateway, 5th West-6th West would be nice to see if those freight lines could be relocated or placed underground, nice idea Future. But if that isn't a possibility, I wouldn't want to live back there. I lived for 6 months at the Gateway apartments and those trains were always blarring their horns. There is a lot of space back there that could be a nice TOD project, but not with the TRAINS!!!! If this can't be done, the only option for TRAX would be 4th West Also, what about it going straight down 4th West to Pioneer Park area, bypassing the hub and then left on 4th South to the University Line. That would loop all of downtown, except East of State.
See the downtown transportation master plan:

http://www.slcgov.com/transportation...t/rail-bus.pdf

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:26 PM

Thumbs up

Its interesting that this was brought up. My final project for my architecture/ urban planning class. Its a combination of several groups projects. This is a presentation to the public during gallery stroll THIS Friday.

Heres everything thats on the flyer

The College of Architecture + Planning

Invites you to view

Both Sides of the Trax:
Investigations in the Gateway District

An Exhibition of Student Projects
Friday, April 18, 2008

6pm-9pm

AIA Utah Offices
329 West Pierpont Avenue
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

Join us during gallery stroll

The groups presenting are:

Transportation- Analysis on Airport line trax options
Civic Space and Culture- the North Temple viaduct
Greenfrastructures- Homeless Garden
Independent Local business- Historical district and local business
Historical Presentation- Historical district and local business

This is really what we have been talking about. if you have any questions just post them. You should come, you wont be disappointed.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 2:20 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Here's a Trax map I posted on here months ago, but with a slight change to my preferred Airport alignment.

Red is the existing trax, leading to Central Station. Blue is the 600 W airport line, Purple is an extension of the U of U line, and Green is a new 400 W/900 S line. I think you could have a line that simply runs as a circular that only runs on the 900 S, Main, S. Temple and 400 W. There are obviously all sorts of options for the other routes and if I weren't sick and needing some serious sleep I would think about them all in more depth.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 3:37 PM

I was watching a new clip just now, they said the Trax extension to the Hub is complete and will be in full service at the end of the month.

yay

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 3:59 PM
New Coloradan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
I was watching a new clip just now, they said the Trax extension to the Hub is complete and will be in full service at the end of the month.

yay
Right on. That was the plan to have it finished for the Frontrunner opening on April 26. The question is now, how much of the existing schedule for both TRAX lines will have to be changed? I am pretty used to the times now, but to accommodate the new stations, a schedule change will have to be made. Of course, UTA usually waits till the last moment to post a new schedule.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 4:13 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Thanks for the info on the Ogden depot. Yet another bad decision in my opinion.

Take about a bad decision look where the baseball field is. It's like you have to walk down a ally just to get to the doors.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 4:55 PM

I'm 99.37% certain that people going to a baseball game in Ogden will NOT use front runner to get there.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 11:38 AM

UTA to celebrate TRAX extension - Becker to talk today during event at new Planetarium Station

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...271625,00.html

Service on the new line, which runs from the EnergySolutions Arena to the new Salt Lake Central Station at 300 S. 600 West, will begin Sunday, April 27, and is the culmination of more than four years of planning and construction at a cost of $41.7 million.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:08 AM

UDOT set to widen Redwood to 5 lanes

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...272108,00.html

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 12:16 AM
Closed account

Does anybody know if the mid-Jordan line has actually began construction? I live out by where one of the latter stations is planned and there seems to be at least some minimal activity going on out here.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 4:26 PM

I think UTA stated they would begin construction on the Jordan extension once the extension to the hub was completed. This would explain why you are seeing an increase of activity.

I think the official ground breaking for the Jordan extension will occur on the 28th or 29th of this month. This would be to coincide with the "Official" completion of Front Runner North and the Hub extension. A triple back pat so to speak.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 5:50 PM
New Coloradan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think UTA stated they would begin construction on the Jordan extension once the extension to the hub was completed. This would explain why you are seeing an increase of activity.

I think the official ground breaking for the Jordan extension will occur on the 28th or 29th of this month. This would be to coincide with the "Official" completion of Front Runner North and the Hub extension. A triple back pat so to speak.
There was an open house last week for the kick off. You can keep up to date on the progress of the new line here.

http://www.rideuta.com/projects/midJ...l/default.aspx

Although I haven't seen an estimated completion time, there are some nice maps of the project and each individual station.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:52 PM
New Coloradan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
The Frontrunner Platform in Ogden is at its own Intermodal Hub, across the 24th St. Viaduct from Union Station:

I have noticed that they recently rebuilt the original platform canopy behind the station. Frontrunner tracks run right next to the platform, so maybe they are planning on using the old platform somehow.
Thanks for the map Ark. This brings up another point. Why didn't the Frontrunner go to the Union Station there in Ogden? I think there was a post on here recently on how UTA and SLC missed an opportunity to use the Rio Grande Depot as a central hub, I agree with that. That is the plan in Denver, with their Union Station being used as a hub, it already has light rail, and they are expanding their commuter rail as well.

Why did UTA bypass the Ogden Union Station as well as Rio Grade Depot? Do they think these historical stations couldn't be integrated into a new rail system? Was it too expensive to use/convert?

I will go up there to Ogden on Saturday during my free rides on Frontrunner to check out Union Station, and to check out Historic 25th St. Never been up there before.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:01 PM

I think that both in Ogden and Salt Lake the main issue would have been cost. Denver's plan for Union Station is certainly ambitious, but it will cost a fortune to implement. If there was enough political will and money, Union Station in Ogden and either the Rio Grande or UP Depots in SLC could have been used as transit hubs. Ogden is in the best position to use Union Station as the tracks run directly behind the building. In Salt Lake, tracks would have to be realigned and buried at great expense to make either historic depot work for commuter/light rail.

As things are, I'm just happy to have commuter rail at all.

Last edited by arkhitektor; Apr 21, 2008 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:37 PM
New Coloradan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I think that both in Ogden and Salt Lake the main issue would have been cost. Denver's plan for Union Station is certainly ambitious, but it will cost a fortune to implement. If there was enough political will and money, Union Station in Ogden and either the Rio Grande or UP Depots in SLC could have been used as transit hubs. Ogden is in the best position to use Union Station as the tracks run directly behind the building. In Salt Lake, tracks would have to be realigned and buried at great expenze to make either historic depot work for commuter/light rail.

As things are, I'm just happy to have commuter rail at all.
I do think it's exciting, will be following the planning developments of the South line very closely.

Anyone going to the dedication opening ceremonies on Saturday?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West