HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 6:34 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Not to mention the new Utah Senator (Mike Lee) will probably be trying to discontinue government support for things like the Draper extension .

Why would he do that?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Why would he do that?
Specifically federal government support. He's a tea party member and is against a lot of types of federal spending / funding.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 8:00 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Not to mention the new Utah Senator (Mike Lee) will probably be trying to discontinue government support for things like the Draper extension .
I know the odds are stacked against it, but Mike Lee IS NOT the new Utah Senator. We have a voice, and we have a voice to be able to educate others. If we want federal funding options to continue for projects such as Trax and Front Runner, maybe we should have A) considered what we were losing when having such a knee jerk reaction and voting Senator Bennett out (trust me I'm no Bennett fan), we lose ALOT of seniority on crucial committee's without him in office, or B) put your support towards Sam Granato, and educate those around you that have a passion for things such as Mass Transit and federal funding to put their support towards Granato as well.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 11:32 AM

I had a long discussion regarding Lee with a family member at a get together this past weekend. He basically grew up with Lee and knows him extremely well. I don't have anything against him personally, but the prognosis isn't great. Basically, he is the epitomy of silver spooned entitlement, and at best, the poster child for what will be a career politician. I too am concerned at the short and narrow mind set that led to the ouster of Bennett. Like Bennett's party or not, he was a very intelligent,tireless workhorse for Utah, and highly efficient in forwarding the agenda and views of many on this forum. I fear that Lee lacks many of Bennett's redeeming leadership qualities.
There are many roles that I feel the federal government is best left out of. However, transportation in a high growth State such as Utah must have federal cooperation. We would not have a fraction of the local or national network of transport that we have had it not been for a federal/interstate involvement. Lee's pronouncements on federal assistance in regard to transportation are idiotic at best.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 17, 2010 at 11:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 1:20 AM

UTA proposing new developments near train stations
August 1st, 2010 @ 3:22pm

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11814110

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- The Utah Transit Authority is using its recently granted authority to spur development around train stations to increase ridership.

The agency is proposing a large residential and retail hub in West Jordan and a community college expansion near apartments in South Salt Lake.

The idea is to move people closer to the stations so they might use public transportation more often.

It envisions 1,400 residential units with retail stores, offices and 849 parking garage stalls around the 3500 West, 9000 South station in West Jordan, along the Mid-Jordan TRAX line currently under construction. The other project calls for 88 apartments and a Salt Lake Community College office and classroom building at the existing Meadowbrook Station at 3900 South in South Salt Lake.

Construction for parking at the West Jordan site will start this fall, and building construction will start in the spring, said Kathy Olson, UTA's transit-oriented development officer. Construction at Meadowbrook will begin in the spring. The college expects to move into its leased building by the fall 2011 semester.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 5:42 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
UTA proposing new developments near train stations
August 1st, 2010 @ 3:22pm

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11814110

"It envisions 1,400 residential units with retail stores, offices and 849 parking garage stalls around the 3500 West, 9000 South station in West Jordan, along the Mid-Jordan TRAX line currently under construction."

That can't be the right address. That address is right in front of the Jordan Valley Hospital. There's no trax station there.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

"It envisions 1,400 residential units with retail stores, offices and 849 parking garage stalls around the 3500 West, 9000 South station in West Jordan, along the Mid-Jordan TRAX line currently under construction."

That can't be the right address. That address is right in front of the Jordan Valley Hospital. There's no trax station there.
did you catch the "under construction part"? There is no Trax station there now, but they are building one...that is the Bangeter stop. Can see the overlay map here, where the hospital is just below the map

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 7:53 PM

Mine came in the mail last week:

Thousands sign up to use Express Lane transponders
August 6th, 2010 @ 9:14am
By Randall Jeppesen

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Department of Transportation says it's encouraged by how many people are signing up to use the new electronic transponder system in the Express Lane. The transponder will allow single drivers to use the lane and they'll be charged based on traffic conditions and how long they stay in the lane.

Link to Full Article

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 8:00 PM

Have any of you been watching the construction of the new South Layton Interchange? It's one of the stranger bridge construction techniques that UDOT has employed lately:

Video Link

They basically placed huge piles of dirt on each side of the freeway, added steel columns to form a buttress-like temporary structure and build half of the bridge on each side. Then, they removed the excess dirt at each abutment, jacked the bridges down (shown in the video) and over the past few days, have begun the process of sliding the bridge out over the traffic lanes to eventually sit on the support in the median. Its been quite the process. This weekend, they are closing the freeway to finish sliding the bridge off of the abutment and into place.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 8:48 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Mine came in the mail last week:

Thousands sign up to use Express Lane transponders
August 6th, 2010 @ 9:14am
By Randall Jeppesen

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Department of Transportation says it's encouraged by how many people are signing up to use the new electronic transponder system in the Express Lane. The transponder will allow single drivers to use the lane and they'll be charged based on traffic conditions and how long they stay in the lane.

Link to Full Article
This is cool and all, but as more people use the express lane it becomes less of an express lane

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Have any of you been watching the construction of the new South Layton Interchange?
I'm sort of forced to watch as traffic comes to a standstill there on the freeway. Glad to see it finally get finished and (almost) out of the way.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 6:44 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
This is cool and all, but as more people use the express lane it becomes less of an express lane

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I heard UDOT sold 2,000 of these passes and with the demand being so great they are thinking of selling 1,000 more. That's 3,000 more cars on the express lane.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 6:01 AM

They're closing the southbound lanes tonight to "launch" the first half of the bridge for the South Layton Interchange:

UDOT shuts down I-15 in Layton for bridge move
August 7th, 2010 @ 10:03pm
By Anne Forester
Full Article

Quote:
LAYTON -- UDOT crews are preparing to move a bridge in Layton overnight, and that means road closures for drivers.
....The bridge move is part of the new South Layton Interchange, a $97.5 billion project. UDOT officials say the new interchange, which will be completed in December, will help with traffic delays.

It should be a pretty nice project when finished, especially considering the $97.5 billion dollar price tag.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 6:54 AM
Lurker

$97 Billion dollars is enough to build approximately 32.5 City Creek Centers

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
They're closing the southbound lanes tonight to "launch" the first half of the bridge for the South Layton Interchange:

UDOT shuts down I-15 in Layton for bridge move
August 7th, 2010 @ 10:03pm
By Anne Forester
Full Article

It should be a pretty nice project when finished, especially considering the $97.5 billion dollar price tag.
Obviously a mistake, considering this quote about the core (utah county):

The project will cost $1.7 billion, paid for with bonds the state issued last year, and it is the largest project undertaken by the Utah Department of Transportation, UDOT executive director John Njord said.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 10:36 AM

Salt Lake City officials, residents get a look at bike-sharing programs

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-programs.html

SALT LAKE CITY — A new, untapped option for public transportation enhancement was revealed Monday at Library Square.

Two rival companies displayed their versions of novel bicycle-sharing systems that create access for short-term use of sleek, easy-to-ride bikes for getting around town...

Braunyno Belo of Public Bike System, right, shares information about the system with Tami Cleveland, left, and BreAnne McConkie during a demonstration of bicycle sharing companies at the Salt Lake Main Library on Monday. (Sarah A. Miller, Deseret News)

Public Bike System showcases several styles of rental bicycles that are in use in other cities during a demonstration at the Salt Lake Main Library on Monday. (Sarah A. Miller, Deseret News)

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post

$97 Billion dollars is enough to build approximately 32.5 City Creek Centers
Yeah, a typo. It is 97 million.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 7:09 AM

I started riding Trax again since a new semester at the U has begun. It got me thinking... wasn't UTA planning to start referring to each line by a color? Is that still happening? Are they just waiting for the other lines to be finished?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 9:34 AM

between 134 and 11800 south

So I was driving up 13400 s. and there are signs up talking about the mountai west corridor constuction, there are tons of earth movers between 11800 and 12600 south, and they are starting to move alot of earth. the sign said the road would be completed in 3 years. I think that means from 5400 to redwood.
I'm also wondering if they are going to open the road gradually as each section is complete or if they are going to have the whole road complete before letting anyone drive it

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 1:20 PM
West bench livin'

Our Taylorsville paper/circular had an article about the project... I'll try and post it tonight. From what I remember, it will have two main phases with the outer edges done first then the main center last.

There was also explanations on the chaos that is about to errupt on 5400 South with the changeable lane system. Looking at the new striping this morning just gives me the willies... but time will tell. I'll post the info on that as well if no one beats me to it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West