HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 27, 2004, 7:48 PM

City and Civic leaders as well the people of Chicago want the absolute best for this Block. If it means taking our damn sweet time to get the best and most phenomenal offer then so be it. It has been awhile and that's why I think there is going to be a break in developments this year. I think everyone was preoccupied with Millenium Park for a while, which was a phenomenal success. Now that the attention has waned, focus can be directed to B37. B37 is a major part in re-establishing state st. On a side note, the old toys'r'us building needs to GO DOWN.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2004, 9:37 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

Steely - I am only stating my opinion. I leave open (significantly open) the possibility that I could be way off.

dancethingy - You are right. We all want the best for this plot of land.

BUT...

There is a very short list of retail tenants who would cause any sort of excitement. The list is even shorter than it would be seeing as certain tenants like Marshall Field's and Carson's (for obvious reasons) are not options, and because most other big name retailers have locations in Chicago CBD already, making a second location unlikely. Harrod's was by leagues the top name on that list and we all know that is not a possibility anymore. Macy's would be nice, but Daley burned a lot of bridges with them a few years ago. There really aren't a whole lot of options. Even less, maybe none, if you count only those who would not require subsidies such as those demanded by Harrod's (in terms of architectural control) and Macy's.

It would be nice to see them concentrate less on chasing down tenants like Famous-Barr and focus more on trying to anchor the theatre district with some type mixed-use entertainment project. Possibly even try to create a architectural connection between the NW corner of Mil. Park and block 37.

Above all, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to continue the blind adherence to a policy of all or nothing. The city should be ready to break up the lot at a moment's notice for a viable proposal.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2004, 10:24 PM

Speaking of the right tenants, would what they be?
Best Buy maybe? I know it is a chain, but the currently do not have one in the downtown area, unless you count North and Clyborn. Best Buy would be able to make a huge profit there, considering the hundreds of thousands of office workers who could go at lunch hour or before and after work. Tens of thousands of people who live nearby. Why not?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2004, 11:08 PM

I personally think that a giant Dept. is necessary. Having plenty of small independent businesses would be great. Avante-garde stores, specialty restaurants, a business lounge bar and a afterwork bar (for commuters coming from midway and O'hare), a hotel, two or three residential towers, a food market, and an entertainment section are great to start off with. This list is just off the top of my head, i'm sure there are plenty more.

In addition, State st. does have Carson's and Field's so what can Harrod's or Macy's offer that our Chicago stores don't have. Alright I'm not a shopping expert, but if anyone knows please enlighten me.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 12:00 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Whoa, where exactly in Chicago is Block 37? Chances are I've been to it, but I'd like to know.

*edit* iknow exactly where it is, and there is that little old art deco buliding with no windows that stands amidst the blank lot, what is it?

Why did they raze this block?? I remember seeing only the built up pictures of it from the final scene of the Blues Brothers. I would really like to know. Kudos to you if you can tell me.

Last edited by CGII; Aug 29, 2004 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 2:20 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Hey, check this out
I don't know if this is old or whatnot, but it looked like it should be posted here

I don't think it made up for the loss, but there's nothing to be done now.

Looks like they're not going to save that little art deco building that was really cool *sniff* (look to see the only spared building on the block in pic below)

Man, what a loss. The whole block empty for 15 years.

WARNING the below website is not for the faint of heart

http://hometown.aol.com/citypan/indexblock371.html

Last edited by CGII; Aug 29, 2004 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 3:36 AM

Old design, it has since become the Heritage...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 3:43 AM

I'm thinking on Block 37 they should build another super drive through McDonalds like they did on that prime piece of real estate in River North. The Loop is not complete without a super McDonalds.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 4:05 AM

I just reread my post and I meant to say Block 37 DOESN'T NEED AN ANCHORING DEPT. STORE.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 3:20 PM

This time, Block 37 could be a winner

By Gary Washburn and Hal Dardick - Tribune staff reporters

August 29, 2004

The long-awaited development planned for Block 37 will include a multilevel shopping center that will have an atrium and a feature sure to win the favor of Mayor Richard Daley--a rooftop garden, sources familiar with the project said Friday.

Plans for the high-profile development are expected to be submitted to the City Council Wednesday as Mills Corp., the Arlington, Va.-based developer, seeks city zoning approval.

"I can't confirm details of the plan simply because they are being finalized and they haven't been submitted to us," said Peter Scales, a spokesman for the city's Planning Department.

But concepts that were unveiled last year are not expected to change in the final proposal, he said.

A spokesman for Mills declined to comment.

Components are expected to include a five-level retail mall with about 400,000 square feet of space, a residential tower of about 20 stories, a hotel high-rise and an office building that would include a 200,000-square-foot media center with offices and studios for WBBM-Ch. 2. A street-level studio would overlook the Daley Center Plaza and the Picasso sculpture.

Below the complex, to be built on the block bounded by State, Dearborn, Randolph and Washington Streets, would be a Chicago Transit Authority "super station" featuring airline baggage check-in for travelers heading to O'Hare International and Midway Airports.

The atrium, a vertical open space, would provide a dramatic architectural feature to the shopping portion of the complex. The rooftop garden would lend a green element visible from surrounding Loop high-rises.

Daley is a major proponent of rooftop gardens for esthetic and environmental reasons. The mayor sought to set an example for other landlords when he installed a rooftop garden atop City Hall as part of a $1.5 million building-improvement project in 2000.

Daley, who over the years has rejected previous proposals for Block 37 as inadequate, said Saturday that he has yet to see the plans and will be cautious and thorough in considering them.

"We want to get the best out of the plans," Daley said. "I am not going to accept the status quo. That's why the process has taken long and will continue to take long. I'm not just going to sign on to something that I don't believe in."

The mayor said he did not know how much longer it would take to get a project going on the long-vacant parcel. That will depend, he said, on "how well the plans are presented," how "environmentally friendly" they are and "what type of stores are there."

Block 37 was first proposed for development in 1983. In 1989, the Daley administration cleared the block of its structures.

Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 5:31 PM
Vertigo City

dosent seem like anything too exciting...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 6:34 PM

It sounds pretty cool, imo.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 8:12 PM

^ It all depends on the architecture (I'll take Sony Center Berlin in an instant)

Last edited by HK Chicago; Aug 29, 2004 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 11:15 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I really hope they save that little Art deco building (looks like a bank) it would really be cool if they could preserve it in their plans. IMO< I like the rooftop gardens idea.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 11:25 PM

"Components are expected to include a five-level retail mall with about 400,000 square feet of space, a residential tower of about 20 stories, a hotel high-rise and an office building that would include a 200,000-square-foot media center with offices and studios for WBBM-Ch. 2"

The residential tower, hotel and office building--are they all separate towers? And do they all rise from the mall? In other words, are we gonna have three distinct towers rising from one base, or are these going to be completely separate structures?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2004, 11:36 PM

Quote:
really hope they save that little Art deco building (looks like a bank) it would really be cool if they could preserve it in their plans.
They have to - it's a power substation.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2004, 4:14 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Haha, good news, good news.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2004, 4:14 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Haha, good news, good news.^^

Old Posted Sep 1, 2004, 1:55 AM
Content provider

may be some kind of sculpture announcement coming for this site very very soon. people near the project are saying so.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2004, 8:55 PM

Big, bold plans for Block 37

By Julie Jargon
Plans for Block 37—the long-vacant lot across from the Marshall Field's State Street store—were officially unveiled to City Council members Wednesday and they are big, bold and ambitious. Think Times Square. Think Vegas, baby.

A two- to three-story techno obelisk will rise up from the Chicago Transit Authority's planned underground "super station," with electronic train and plane arrival and departure information, as well as a stock ticker and news feed.

108 No. State St.: The exterior at the corner of Randolph and Dearborn features interfacing nightclubs, restaurants and entertainment venues.

"We're looking at that as the clock tower of the plaza that you envision in Europe," says Steve Jacobsen, executive vice-president of Mills Corp., the Virginia-based developer of the project.

Each facade of the mixed-use development will match the character of the street it faces. The side facing Marshall Field's, for example, will contain retail space, with large glass windows like those of the department store. The Randolph St. side will consist of restaurants catering to the theater crowd, while the Washington Street side will be mostly office space. And the Dearborn side will have a large entrance facing Daley Plaza.

"We look at this as an interior Daley Plaza," Mr. Jacobsen says, explaining that art will be a major feature of the three-tower development. One tower will consist of 450,000 square feet of office space; one will be a 300-unit residential tower and another will be a 300-room hotel.

108 No. State St.: The corner of State and Randolph will feature a combination of retailers connected to a "green" roof and terraces.

WBBM Channel 2 is currently negotiating a lease for office space, but Mr. Jacobsen and the city are mum on who the other tenants will be. "This is a big step to attract more possible tenants so they can see the plans and know it's on track," says a city planning department spokesman.

Now that City Hall has had a chance to see the renderings, the planning department will take a look. By the end of the year, the planning commission and zoning department are expected to vote on the plans. City Council will have the final say.

If all goes well, Mills hopes to break ground early next ye

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive