HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Optima Center Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pimp View Post
What is David Hovey thinking? This design is boring and completely uninspiring!
Whatever you say "Pimp".

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:38 PM
THAT Guy

Next door neighbor for sale

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ct-up-for-sale

Streeterville site zoned for big project up for sale
By: Alby Gallun November 30, 2011

Centrum Properties Inc. is courting hotel and apartment developers for a parcel in Streeterville that it expects to sell for $50 million or more.

A joint venture between Chicago-based Centrum and New York-based Angelo Gordon & Co. has hired the Chicago office of CBRE Inc. to seek buyers for the site at 220 E. Illinois St., which could accommodate a 775,000-square-foot building under current zoning.

A developer could build more than 600 apartments on the site or roughly 450 apartments and a 300-room hotel, says Centrum Principal Sol Barket.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:48 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ct-up-for-sale

Streeterville site zoned for big project up for sale
By: Alby Gallun November 30, 2011

Seems like a nice spot for a cute little Cape Code single-family home.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:21 PM

...so everyone who voiced such strong opinions is comfortable doing so even though we've only been given one rendering?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
...so everyone who voiced such strong opinions is comfortable doing so even though we've only been given one rendering?
We've actually seen two renderings one of which appears to be a massing model and looks like crap and another that appears to be the official design. I don't think anyone is passing judgement on the project now, just passing judgement on the rendering. There has been a whole lot of talk saying that the way it handles the St. Clair side and lower Illinois will make or break this project. So it's not as if people purport to know how the project will turn out already.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 6:40 PM

i like the contrast of the dark/black half and the more blueish top. Always good too see these larger projects still get off the ground in Chicagoland

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
We've actually seen two renderings one of which appears to be a massing model and looks like crap and another that appears to be the official design. I don't think anyone is passing judgement on the project now, just passing judgement on the rendering. There has been a whole lot of talk saying that the way it handles the St. Clair side and lower Illinois will make or break this project. So it's not as if people purport to know how the project will turn out already.
The "massing model" appears to simply be the final rendering without any texture applied and doesn't give us any information we don't already have (it uses an identical or nearly identical perspective).

And I didn't say that people are purporting "to know how the project will turn out already." Is that ever the case? My point is that some people are rushing to judgement about the whole design when all we've been given is one view. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Are developers in a race to the bottom? This is horrible.
Quote:
What is David Hovey thinking? This design is boring and completely uninspiring!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:51 AM
The City

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that a project that is financed and just about to begin construction has just one rendering available.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 4:54 AM
The City

One other point:

Does anybody know if, at community meetings, SOAR has inquired about developers addressing the cityfront plaza circle and fountain appropriately?

When all 360 degrees of that circle are filled in with highrises, it could really be an iconic space for the city (especially if they eventually replace the existing fountain with something much more substantial). I would hate to see that space surrounded by large parking podia. With it being on an upper level street, it would be easy to locate parking below grade

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 4:51 PM

Compare this "Jenga" block of a design to the Roosevelt University building or the Aqua. This "design" is nothing more than filler. This city needs more creative designs. Just what we need another boring design. My three year old can do better Mr. Untitledreality.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 5:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
One other point:

Does anybody know if, at community meetings, SOAR has inquired about developers addressing the cityfront plaza circle and fountain appropriately?

When all 360 degrees of that circle are filled in with highrises, it could really be an iconic space for the city (especially if they eventually replace the existing fountain with something much more substantial). I would hate to see that space surrounded by large parking podia. With it being on an upper level street, it would be easy to locate parking below grade
I like Cityfront Plaza as it is. It was designed by Cooper Eckstut for the Cityfront Center master plan. The design forms an integrated series of public spaces running from Pioneer Plaza through Cityfront Plaza and along the river to Columbus.

Once filled, though, you're absolutely right that it will be a powerful space. I think they should capture some space from the roadways, though. It's basically a giant elevated dead-end, so there's no need for a ton of asphalt on the upper level.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Compare this "Jenga" block of a design to the Roosevelt University building or the Aqua. This "design" is nothing more than filler. This city needs more creative designs. Just what we need another boring design. My three year old can do better Mr. Untitledreality.
If you actually live in Chicago I don't know how you can possibly think that this is simply a filler building. Have you seen anything that has been built in this city over the last ten years? If the material selection is up to par (which it should be with Hovey), this will be a finely detailed, stately, minimalist tower in a neighborhood full of PoMo crap and SCB garbage.

Everyone the world over thinks that every piece of architecture needs to be unique, new, iconic... when in reality the race for the icon has provided us with cities void of themes, void of traceable history and full of fast aging nonfunctional designs.

But given the fact that you think the Roosevelt University tower is creative, or that your three year old could do better, there really is no point in wasting my time trying to convince you otherwise. Enjoy your boring new building, I know I will.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
If you actually live in Chicago I don't know how you can possibly think that this is simply a filler building. Have you seen anything that has been built in this city over the last ten years? If the material selection is up to par (which it should be with Hovey), this will be a finely detailed, stately, minimalist tower in a neighborhood full of PoMo crap and SCB garbage.

Everyone the world over thinks that every piece of architecture needs to be unique, new, iconic... when in reality the race for the icon has provided us with cities void of themes, void of traceable history and full of fast aging nonfunctional designs.

But given the fact that you think the Roosevelt University tower is creative, or that your three year old could do better, there really is no point in wasting my time trying to convince you otherwise. Enjoy your boring new building, I know I will.

I agree, and I do like the initial renderings of this project. Of course we expected alot from Mr. Hovey, but, as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, he just doesn't have the same space to spread the project out that he does in the 'burbs and AZ.

As long as it is done well, this can be a perfectly fine building.

SSDD

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 9:01 PM
TL;DR

Yeah, I'm expecting a very well-detailed curtain wall out of Hovey.

Also, I wouldn't go so far as to call SCB's residential towers "garbage". They've produced some of the best contemporary residential towers in the city (340 OTP, Legacy, 200 Squared). If you're referring specifically to Streeterville, then that leaves Parkview West and The Streeters - neither of which are an abomination by Chicago standards. I think Parkview is actually pretty nice, even if the Streeter is a boring econobox.

Overall, the last ten years have been very good for Streeterville in terms of residential architecture - lots of glass, super-dense development that meets the ground in an attractive way. River North has the exact opposite problem, with endless unrelieved waves of beige towers set atop ugly podiums or behind useless mini-plazas.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post

Yes, I live in the city and thank you for not trying to convince me. Good lord.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 8:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, I'm expecting a very well-detailed curtain wall out of Hovey.

Also, I wouldn't go so far as to call SCB's residential towers "garbage". They've produced some of the best contemporary residential towers in the city (340 OTP, Legacy, 200 Squared). If you're referring specifically to Streeterville, then that leaves Parkview West and The Streeters - neither of which are an abomination by Chicago standards. I think Parkview is actually pretty nice, even if the Streeter is a boring econobox.

Overall, the last ten years have been very good for Streeterville in terms of residential architecture - lots of glass, super-dense development that meets the ground in an attractive way. River North has the exact opposite problem, with endless unrelieved waves of beige towers set atop ugly podiums or behind useless mini-plazas.

Totally. I really think it's likely this will end up being a great architectural addition. I have a feeling some of the negative sentiment expressed here is just some sort of bias agains minimalist or minimalist-like design. I think it's fantastic - sign me up....

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Totally. I really think it's likely this will end up being a great architectural addition. I have a feeling some of the negative sentiment expressed here is just some sort of bias agains minimalist or minimalist-like design. I think it's fantastic - sign me up....

I respect that you believe this is a fantastic minimalistic design. To me, a beautiful minimalistic design is the CHICAGO | Coast at Lakeshore East / 345 E Wacker Drive | 425 FT / 130 M | 49 FLOORS. But...honestly, these are all opinions. In reality, no amount of complaining will change or alter this design. So who cares.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 4:08 PM

Quote:
But...honestly, these are all opinions. In reality, no amount of complaining will change or alter this design. So who cares.
Designs are regularly changed in response to pressure from community groups.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Designs are regularly changed in response to pressure from community groups.
Hence the reason there is so many crap buildings in this city.

Can anyone think of a building were community input actually made the design better?

SSDD

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
Hence the reason there is so many crap buildings in this city.

Can anyone think of a building were community input actually made the design better?

SSDD
Hasn't SOAR helped the design process? They're a big part of the reason the Lakeshore Athletic Club wasn't replaced by another Lagrange abomination, no? IIRC, the base of 500 North Lake Shore Drive was even worse before people voiced their concerns. And 1225 Old Town looked pretty heinous before its redesign, but I'm not sure if community members were responsible for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive