HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Anyone know if a hotel brand and opening date have been announced for the new Sunset La Cienega development?
http://www.jameshotels.com/west-hollywood
Opening May 1st.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:16 PM

It's about time the LAtimes exposed this scumbag for misallocation of funds.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...221-story.html

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:51 PM

Clippers owner talking to Stan Kroenke about building a new arena in Inglewood

http://www.latimes.com/sports/clippe...224-story.html

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 9:25 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
It's about time the LAtimes exposed this scumbag for misallocation of funds.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...221-story.html
Scumbag indeed. Let's hope karmic justice is served.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Scumbag indeed. Let's hope karmic justice is served.
It appears he is being petty and self-serving. Sadly, this seems to be the definition of "leadership" these days. Certainly he should be forced from his position ASAP. But let's keep this in perceptive here. He did not murder anyone in cold blood (as far as we know.) I hope the public opinion trend continues in favor of defeat.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 11:12 PM

He's getting blasted on social media by Angelenos. Even if some agree with his views on development, his corruption is disgusting to many.
I still dont feel good about March 7, but I do like how this city is going after his sorry ass.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
It appears he is being petty and self-serving. Sadly, this seems to be the definition of "leadership" these days. Certainly he should be forced from his position ASAP. But let's keep this in perceptive here. He did not murder anyone in cold blood (as far as we know.) I hope the public opinion trend continues in favor of defeat.
Why wouldnt he be forced out? It's public that he's wasting donation funds on this stupid mission. Wouldnt this be horrible press for the organization?
I'd imagine most companies would can you quickly for this.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Why wouldnt he be forced out? It's public that he's wasting donation funds on this stupid mission. Wouldnt this be horrible press for the organization?
I'd imagine most companies would can you quickly for this.
"Legal experts say there is no clear rule about what is “substantial,” though past cases have given attorneys some guidance. “If you start to engage more than 5% of your resources toward lobbying, it’s probably time to consider whether you’re violating the test,” said Gene Takagi, managing attorney of the NEO Law Group in San Francisco."

"In federal tax filings, the foundation reported that it spent more than $253 million during 2015, dwarfing the nearly $7 million — less than 3% of the reported total spending — it said it spent to influence legislation that year."

Seems like Mr. Weinstein knows the thresholds and playing dirty here...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 1:34 AM

The lobbying has nothing to do with his foundation though.
There has to be some loop hole.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
The lobbying has nothing to do with his foundation though.
There has to be some loop hole.
What may or may not be lobbied is not strictly stipulated by law. And read what I posted. That IS the loop hole...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:35 PM

number of floors on first page

A minor quibble, but many of the buildings listed on the front page list more floors / stories than are actually planned.

Waldorf Astoria - should be 12, not 17 - http://news.waldorfastoria.com/index...ty/detail/8150

Edition West Hollywood - 13, not 18 - http://la.curbed.com/2014/10/8/10037...marriott-hotel

333 La Cienega, 16, not 17 - https://therealdeal.com/la/2017/01/2...enega-project/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 4:12 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

The Midfield Satellite Concourse quietly broke ground today, the first phase of which will have a total of 12 gates; the second phase would add an additional 7 gates.

Although an improvement from Bradley West, it's still an architectural yawner and yet another missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned. Sigh.

Video Link

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The Midfield Satellite Concourse quietly broke ground today, the first phase of which will have a total of 12 gates; the second phase would add an additional 7 gates.

Although an improvement from Bradley West, it's still an architectural yawner and yet another missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned. Sigh.
I like parts of Bradley West. It has enough good parts to be a successful design.

I do not like any part of the new MSC. It is a testament to how provincial the BOAC is when it comes to planning and design.

Wavy roofs are cliche, especially when they are not engineered to be freestanding. Take the roof off and you have a banal assemblage of boxes.

The interior is equally generic. The curved, tessellated pattern on the ceiling was first used in Foster's Hong Kong terminal and there the wavy roof is freestanding. That suggests to me that the architects (Gensler) knew what they were copying, but no one on the BOAC did.

Last edited by LDVArch; Feb 28, 2017 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 4:17 PM

I'm not sure "provincial" is the right word, but certainly generic. Every new high end airport building seems to have some sort of curvy, undulating roof. Of course the architectural marketing will make up a different story depending on local context, it can somehow represent water, the sky, mountains, or whatever they think the client wants to hear!

As for this, I would say the new building is meant to mimic the designs of the rest of the recent expansion, which has been driven by Fentress Architects, who basically specialize in airports (their most acclaimed being Denver DIA.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
I like parts of Bradley West. It has enough good parts to be a successful design.

I do not like any part of the new MSC. It is a testament to how provincial the BOAC is when it comes to planning and design.

Wavy roofs are cliche, especially when they are not engineered to be freestanding. Take the roof off and you have a banal assemblage of boxes.

The interior is equally generic. The curved, tessellated pattern on the ceiling was first used in Foster's Hong Kong terminal and there the wavy roof is freestanding. That suggests to me that the architects (Gensler) knew what they were copying, but no one on the BOAC did.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargocultpants View Post
I'm not sure "provincial" is the right word, but certainly generic. Every new high end airport building seems to have some sort of curvy, undulating roof. Of course the architectural marketing will make up a different story depending on local context, it can somehow represent water, the sky, mountains, or whatever they think the client wants to hear!

As for this, I would say the new building is meant to mimic the designs of the rest of the recent expansion, which has been driven by Fentress Architects, who basically specialize in airports (their most acclaimed being Denver DIA.)
Let's not "level" every wavy roof. It's not marketing in all cases. When like Foster you make the success of the design contingent on your wavy roof floating free of the glass walls, it is not marketing. That's engineering as art.

As to Fentress, it also was more than marketing. We would have seen that again in his design for the MSC. But LAWA wanted a different method of delivery and compromised design for efficiency. Gensler's design looks nothing like the Fentress concept for the MSC.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:54 AM

Tomorrow's ballot will greatly affect if Los Angeles rises or falls. Please vote!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 10:13 PM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 8:53 PM

Speaking of Pasadena...

Being that I'm a regular at Vroman's and El Portal, I've been steadily watching this being built, and am glad it's completed.

From Urbanize LA:

New Apartments Debut in the Pasadena Playhouse District

The Andalucia features 118 residential units above ground-floor retail space.

Link: http://urbanize.la/post/new-apartmen...house-district

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 10:59 PM

There seemed to be 6-10 construction sites/tear downs on Olympic between Western and Union or so. I know some of these are mix users but does anyone know what these other are?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 11:40 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I honestly don't mind the Spanish revival architecture of those Pasadena apartments.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations