Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:55 PM

a lot more blue than green

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:55 PM

Loving how the light is already starting to play off the little glass they have up, just after sunrise here

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:23 PM
The City

A lot of stunning pics there, guys. Nice work!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:49 PM

just for the record, all of the exposed metal on this window wall is painted aluminum...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Def looking pretty blue, but might be the season and the hue of that panel. I'm just glad we've got some glass.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
just for the record, all of the exposed metal on this window wall is painted aluminum...
Painted and not anodized?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 7:59 PM

Aqua is certainly not one of my favorite towers in the city, but she looks great paired with Vista in the last photo.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Painted and not anodized?
It's anodized, a lot of people just call powder coatings "paint" when it's really a thin coating of plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Def looking pretty blue, but might be the season and the hue of that panel. I'm just glad we've got some glass.
How are you all getting blue out of this? It's almost teal green, look at Nick's first shot, it looks almost mint green there...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 8:27 PM
Ω

Has anyone noticed a color variance in the glass panels (on the floor plates) that have already gone up? I can't really tell from the pics.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 8:29 PM
Ω

Nick, these photos are spectacular by the way.

I don't think the "pigeon ledges" effect the design much at all, they disappear really. I guess I just hope they don't cause any ice issues as mentioned. The glass is looking good.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It's anodized, a lot of people just call powder coatings "paint" when it's really a thin coating of plastic.
'Anodized' is not paint and, technically, it is not a coating... it is rather an electrolytic process which increases the existing natural oxide coating of the aluminum... When architects refer to anodized aluminum, they are expecting it to result in only clear, or translucent bronze or black finishes or a translucent color finish (by utilizing dyes during the process) but I have rarely, if ever, seen anything other then the clear/bronze/black on a window wall... if it's another solid/opaque color finish (and again, I use the word 'paint' as to avoid the confusion here regarding 'paints' and 'coatings') then the 'painted' or 'coated' finish would not be regarded as 'anodized'...

If these window wall frames have been anodized prior to being 'painted', I would be very surprised by this... there might be some benefit to increasing the adherence of the paint or coating to the aluminium by anodizing first, but it would seem an unlikely cost for this manufacturer to incur...

and, BTW LVDW, just about all paints and coatings, 'powder' applied or not, could arguably be described as "a thin coating of plastic" ... (which is just about the opposite of the anodized/electrolytic process)

Last edited by pilsenarch; Oct 6, 2018 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:54 PM

Oct 3

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 12:52 AM

Some assembly required - the climbing form(s)

w.t.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
'Anodized' is not paint and, technically, it is not a coating... it is rather an electrolytic process which increases the existing natural oxide coating of the aluminum... When architects refer to anodized aluminum, they are expecting it to result in only clear, or translucent bronze or black finishes or a translucent color finish (by utilizing dyes during the process) but I have rarely, if ever, seen anything other then the clear/bronze/black on a window wall... if it's another solid/opaque color finish (and again, I use the word 'paint' as to avoid the confusion here regarding 'paints' and 'coatings') then the 'painted' or 'coated' finish would not be regarded as 'anodized'...

If these window wall frames have been anodized prior to being 'painted', I would be very surprised by this... there might be some benefit to increasing the adherence of the paint or coating to the aluminium by anodizing first, but it would seem an unlikely cost for this manufacturer to incur...

and, BTW LVDW, just about all paints and coatings, 'powder' applied or not, could arguably be described as "a thin coating of plastic" ... (which is just about the opposite of the anodized/electrolytic process)
You are right that anodizing is an electrolytic process and that it's not a "powder coating" per se, my post was misleading in the way I worded it, but it's not paint. Nor is any coating they use in an exterior finish. Also no, powder coating is NOT paint. Powder coating is applied with an electro static charge (just like anodizing) where plastic dust evenly coats the surface of the part due to static charge and is then baked on. Paint relies on evaporation or chemical reactions to "dry" onto a surface. Powder coatings are physically adhered to the surface with heat. That means a major difference in durability and the properties of the coating.

I used to work at a powder coating plant for 3 years while I was in high school and college. We did electro static powder coating, fluid bed coating (rubbery coating on football facemasks), hot dip plastol (the rubbery stuff you feel on tool handles), and electrolytic coatings like anodization and chromium plating ("chrome"). Yes, I shouldn't have referred to anodization as a powder coating, but it's a brain fart from inhaling too much plastic dust at the factory. The only fun part about it was when you got to work on the fluid bed line when we were making NFL facemasks. You would know where certain facemasks would end up because some of the colors would be "Miami Dolphin Teal" or something like that. Most teams just use neutral colors though so you had no idea where most of those things were going.

One other thing, what paint are you using that is plastic based? Oil based paint comes from similar base materials as plastic, but latex paint even says in the name that it's not plastic, lol.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 1:09 PM

^Well, I think we are arguing semantics at this point and I am simply reflecting the standard vocabulary and assumptions that most architects use... meanwhile, as far as definitions and technical details go, I think they are much more fluid (ha) then you are indicating...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 4:12 PM

The aluminum is painted Akzo Nobel "Stone Harbor".

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 4:54 PM

Wow that's really reflective. Love it - I wonder how the effect of the frustums on reflected buildings across the river will look. I mean the glass itself isn't tilted up or down or curved so there won't be a funhouse effect like on River Point.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 6:10 PM

Smile

She's got her head(s) in the clouds today

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 2:19 AM

Crashed at a friends place before the race today, i would say he had a decent view......

20181007_075307 by bolts2109

20181007_075047 by bolts2109

20181007_074819 by bolts2109

20181007_150113 by bolts2109

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:12 AM

The color transition is very obvious in your shots. I love how the reflectivity transits from aqua to almost a bronze hue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture