HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Back to Miramar Street for a second--it looks like the Lewis house might have an interesting carriage house behind it...
GoogleSV
I think you're right G_W. I missed that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:27 AM

ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
Say what !? The very top photo is a view towards the Larronde house on No.Hope-Bunker Hill-- Nicely including 2 of 3 apt houses immediately north of it as well.
Wow! You're absolutely correct rick_m. Thanks for the correction.

below: The Pierre Larronde House at 237 N. Hope Street.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=66068

Notice the finial is missing in the 1944 photograph.

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 23, 2012 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:55 AM

Is this the same Larronde that built the Larronde Block (lower right) in downtown L.A.? I imagine it is but I don't have any of the details.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1332470834395
___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 23, 2012 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 3:19 AM

Been enjoying this fine thread for many months, my thanks to you posters for all of your great insights, stories and excellent detective work.

Today, I noticed there have been a few more old process projection plates made available for viewing at Archive. org

Hope this link works:

http://archive.org/details/56DF_40030-414_A_LA

If you look around, there are a couple other projection backgrounds, along with a nice 1935 aerial film view of Hollywood, and the Burbank Warner's studio.

Last edited by Kelton Verdugo; Mar 23, 2012 at 3:25 AM. Reason: forgot a comma

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

This reminds me of the EL in Chicago. I wonder if there was ever a proposal to build an elevated rail system in downtown Los Angeles?
I don't think there was, but today the Gold Line is elevated through here, and runs just about where these tracks are.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
OK one final one for you guys....I've always read that the caves near the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers" were real...anyone ever go out there for any shots?
According to several websites, the caves in Invasion of the Body Snatchers are the Bronson Caves in Griffith Park:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers by T Hoffarth, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:37 AM

Hey kids! Dig the first ten minutes of Key Witness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x05wmHcnHKg

Where do y'all posit that opening scene was shot?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 1:33 PM

youtube.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Hey kids! Dig the first ten minutes of Key Witness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x05wmHcnHKg

Where do y'all posit that opening scene was shot?

Hmmm very interesting footage... Jeffrey's Plymouth with the toilet seat on the trunk (not my name for Chrysler's version of a continental kit, but a good one)... the cast (Hunter's eyes, Pat Crowley, and badass Dennis Hopper... cute dog... odd characters like the old man, the pretty tramp, the guy in the t-shirt with the excellent guns.... I guess it's somewhere near Chavez Ravine, or in East L.A....

Edit: I went ahead and looked at all four parts of Key Witness... it's really pretty good...a great movie to see in between The Desperate Hours (1955) and Lady In a Cage (1964). The car chases are terrific--the Mercury full of punks pushing the Plymouth is harrowing...

As for the murder location--in part 4, it is mentioned in a courtroom scene as being "East L.A.", not that that means that's where the opening scenes were actually done. The suburban streetscapes of L.A. seemed at first to have been filmed in the Valley, but the only street sign I saw was "California Ave."--unless there's one in the Valley that doesn't turn up when googling, the only California Ave. I see is on the west side toward Venice. Not sure what the neighborhood is called, but the houses all look more or less interchangeable with Valley houses of the era. Anyway, I'm going overboard... but here are some more screenshots to tide you over until you watch the movie.

It looks like they used real East L.A. residents as the zip-lipped witnesses to murder...

Near the chop shop...

Jeffrey's house...

Note the "toilet seat"...

And various location shots...

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Mar 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:01 PM

latimes.com

At first I hadn't realized that the post you (TWS) were referring to was one of e_r's from a year ago... I knew there had been plans for elevated transit in L.A. in the '20s, which, it turns out, sopas had outlined in a post answering e_r (see below). Anyway, at top is a Times article from July 7, 1907, describing an earlier proposal. I know we've seen other posts here about downtown transit....

A late '50s shot of the tracks behind the PE Building... (this shot appeared here on the Noirish
thread at some point, but I couldn't pin down when).

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
According to several websites, the caves in Invasion of the Body Snatchers are the Bronson Caves in Griffith Park:

I lived in the area few years ago and learned from the locals that, yes, it's not only the IBS cave, but also the very same cave where original TV Batman exited from when leaving his, well, cave. To me, so far, this is just a rumor. Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

Edit: In a case somebody didn't already know, the cave runs thru the mountain. It's just a short run, perhaps 35ft. The tunnel is Y -shaped, if I remember correctly, so basically there's two backdoor exits. The cave opening seen in film/TV is not necessarily the "one."

There you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronson_Canyon

Last edited by Wenders; Mar 23, 2012 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelton Verdugo View Post
Been enjoying this fine thread for many months, my thanks to you posters for all of your great insights, stories and excellent detective work.

Today, I noticed there have been a few more old process projection plates made available for viewing at Archive. org

Hope this link works:

If you look around, there are a couple other projection backgrounds, along with a nice 1935 aerial film view of Hollywood, and the Burbank Warner's studio.
I was watching the Hollywood aerial and eventually noticed the cars were driving on the wrong side of the road. Unless in the 1940s in Hollywood cars were driving on the left experimentally, that film is reversed. It was definitely strange for a split second watching that vid before I realized what I was watching. Very cool video nonetheless.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
youtube.com

Hmmm very interesting footage... Jeffrey's Plymouth with the toilet seat on the trunk (not my name for Chrysler's version of a continental kit, but a good one)... the cast (Hunter's eyes, Pat Crowley, and badass Dennis Hopper... cute dog... odd characters like the old man, the pretty tramp, the guy in the t-shirt with the excellent guns.... I guess it's somewhere near Chavez Ravine, or in East L.A....

Edit: I went ahead and looked at all four parts of Key Witness... it's really pretty good...a great movie to see in between The Desperate Hours (1955) and Lady In a Cage (1964). The car chases are terrific--the Mercury full of punks pushing the Plymouth is harrowing...

As for the murder location--in part 4, it is mentioned in a courtroom scene as being "East L.A.", not that that means that's where the opening scenes were actually done. The suburban streetscapes of L.A. seemed at first to have been filmed in the Valley, but the only street sign I saw was "California Ave."--unless there's one in the Valley that doesn't turn up when googling, the only California Ave. I see is on the west side toward Venice. Not sure what the neighborhood is called, but the houses all look more or less interchangeable with Valley houses of the era. Anyway, I'm going overboard... but here are some more screenshots to tide you over until you watch the movie.

It looks like they used real East L.A. residents as the zip-lipped witnesses to murder...

Near the chop shop...

Jeffrey's house...

Note the "toilet seat"...

And various location shots...

This hilly n derelict deadend also in confrontation scene in This Rare Breed --betha WAS up in Chavez Ravine ---

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenders View Post
I lived in the area few years ago and learned from the locals that, yes, it's not only the IBS cave, but also the very same cave where original TV Batman exited from when leaving his, well, cave. To me, so far, this is just a rumor. Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

Edit: In a case somebody didn't already know, the cave runs thru the mountain. It's just a short run, perhaps 35ft. The tunnel is Y -shaped, if I remember correctly, so basically there's two backdoor exits. The cave opening seen in film/TV is not necessarily the "one."

There you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronson_Canyon
Let us not overlook the utterly remarkable setting for ROBOT MONSTER FROM THE MOON ---GEO.NADER is the beefcake hero !

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 1:09 AM

I was thinking Chavez Ravine area too; or the Elysian Park area, the hills west of Chinatown...

Those suburban shots, I'm thinking could possibly be Glendale or Burbank; there's a California Avenue in Glendale and a California Street in Burbank. In the San Gabriel Valley, there's also a California Avenue in Monrovia. There's a California Avenue in Pasadena, too, but those shots don't look like how California Avenue in Pasadena looks.

EDIT: My bad, the street in Pasadena is actually called California Boulevard. I should know better than that.

"Key Witness" looks interesting, I'm gonna have to watch it.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Mar 24, 2012 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 1:57 AM

A view towards downtown Los Angeles from Point Grand View in Elysian Park. If you look closely you can see one of the
Arroyo Seco Parkway tunnels.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ca2764.photos.382750p/

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 24, 2012 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
e_r, were those golf carts behind you used for riding around the studio lot?
Yes....Lorimar was filming two series on the MGM lot.....Dallas and Knots Landing. Falcon Crest was filmed elsewhere.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelton Verdugo View Post

Hope this link works:

Absolutely fascinating, Kelton. Bravo, and thanks.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 5:42 PM

I agree! Thanks for providing the link Kelton Verugo.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 12:42 AM

I know we have a plethora of Bunker Hill photographs on this thread, but this could possibly be a new one.

The photo is dated October 1960 and is from the Library of Congress. The location they give is vague...
just a listings of various streets located in the Bunker Hill area.

I left the photo LARGE to better see the details. Remember to pan right---->

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ca0214.photos.012012p/

Unless you recognize these mid-size homes, you might have to rely on the large commercial buildings at far right for clues. The tallest is quite odd looking with it's small windows...it almost looks industrial. Also notice the odd water tanks the likes of which I have never seen before (that type anyway)...and of course the corner of the bldg with the ornamental details.

Some of you might be surprised I don't recognize these homes, but my memory....well.....how do I say it?...sucks!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 1:11 AM

I love this graphic with the Los Angeles skyline...notice the artist included the revolving Lindbergh Beacon* atop City Hall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/

I was only aware of Chicago's famous Lindbergh Beacon atop the Palmolive Building/Playboy Building.

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2017 at 7:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos