HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 6:09 AM

OT I know, but speaking of great lakes shipping..This is a total ridiculous pipe dream (I get it), but having just looked at a map of North America, wouldn't it be kewl to see a man made shipping canal built on the western limit of the great lakes and built right to the Pacific ocean, connecting the East to the Asian markets without having to rely on trains or transports...Designed for today's ocean going vessels, and running along the Canada/US.Border. Just a pipe dream and a potential ecological and environmental disaster. Would wreak havoc on the lakes I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 7:48 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
OT I know, but speaking of great lakes shipping..This is a total ridiculous pipe dream (I get it), but having just looked at a map of North America, wouldn't it be kewl to see a man made shipping canal built on the western limit of the great lakes and built right to the Pacific ocean, connecting the East to the Asian markets without having to rely on trains or transports...Designed for today's ocean going vessels, and running along the Canada/US.Border. Just a pipe dream and a potential ecological and environmental disaster. Would wreak havoc on the lakes I suppose.

wikipedia.com

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
^^ive never really had a good grasp on nautical side of the midwest economy. is that something detroit could develop, like a port? i guess you need something to ship out of that port first but still. seems like the detroit river is just a route for ore boats to pass by on their way towards the st. lawerence. what would a port in detroit function like, maybe it wouldn't?? dunno are ships a viable tranport alternative for any michigan products?
i'm curious how the widening of the panama canal could influence shipping in the midwest. are we going to see more mississippi/ohio river system transportation? less shipments to/from the port of long beach and a resuscitation of the port of new orleans (and continued growth of houston)?

a revival of the old new orleans/st. louis interior transport system? (over-wishful thinking i am sure).

http://www.marinelog.com/IMAGESMMV/ospbig.jpg

http://morethanshipping.com

Last edited by Centropolis; Mar 30, 2014 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 8:20 PM

The Panama Canal expansion will likely increase the number of international containers moving into the Midwest. There are several considerations, including permitting and definitions of divisible loads, highway interchange locations and capacity around intermodal yards, and general capacity on critical trade routes. Railroads will likely bring containers and IPI traffic into key points, regardless of whether the port of entry is east or west of Gulf, but the ultimate final delivery will be by truck. Highway planners need to be aware of these intermodal decisions.

All-water options inherently have lower costs since they can reduce land bridge requirements and take advantage of the lower operating costs of East Coast ports. The impacts however will likely vary based on commodity, final destination markets, and ultimate timeliness of delivery.

http://midamericafreight.org/2011/03...nal-expansion/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 9:12 PM

The Port of Muskegon on the east-side of Lake Michigan is wanting to open up to barge traffic; the idea is still very much in the development/investigation stage.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:04 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novawolverine
I don't understand why the definition of urban has become so diluted. If two urban areas touch in a few places on the map, I don't consider that "merging", although it's sort of the first step you could say.
Apparently you haven't seen the 2010 urban area boundaries. Detroit and Ann Arbor share an 8 mile continuous urban "border". Again, the "merging" is primarily due to the way they defined Willow Run airport as there really wasn't much of a change in the built environment in this area between Censuses. In 2000, Willow Run was considered rural under airport guidelines used for defining urban areas at that time. In 2010, the Census Bureau changed that criteria and Willow Run was defined as urban. The funny thing is that if Willow Run had been defined as urban back in 2000, Detroit and Ann Arbor would have likely shared a single urban area at that time and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Here's a map of the supposedly separate urban areas, with the blue line representing where the two urban areas share a common boundary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich
While I'm of the mind that Ann Arbor and Detroit developed so independently of one another and remain so, and to the extent that I'd have a hard time ever considering it a core county of the metropolitan area, as per the Census measurements or urban area, they touch on "more than a few places on the map."
The term "core county" doesn't necessarily mean the historic core or the central city. It just means any county with at least 5,000 residents living within a specific urban area (assuming the county doesn't already have a larger urban area.) One example of a strange "core county" is Cass County, MI. It's a "core county" of the South Bend MSA. The funny thing is that despite being a "core county," as 5,000 living within the county fall within the South Bend UA, less than 25% of its workforce commutes to St. Joseph County, IN. So again, "core" doesn't mean "center", it just means where the urban population resides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The bottom line is that the Detroit MSA, as defined today, was once the solidly second place economy in the Midwest but now it isn't. Ann Arbor is irrelevant to that.
Obviously, you can define metro areas however you'd like. The Census Bureau obviously defines MSAs with very specific guidelines. Under those guidelines Ann Arbor and Detroit fall into separate MSAs. However, if you had any inkling of how things actually operate in the "borderland", you'd realize that there really isn't an end to one city and a beginning of the other. It's very easy to manipulate how urban areas and metropolitan areas are defined. In some scenarios Detroit and Ann Arbor would share a metro area. In other cases they wouldn't. But the fact remains that as an economic "sphere" there is no separating the two. The funny thing is that back in 2000, the Census Bureau wanted to create a specific formula for urban/metro areas that could be plugged into a computer with virtually no interference. Come 2010, they threw out that formula by deciding what urban areas should merge and what should remain "independent". I understand wanting to keep cities with a historic identity from being swallowed up by a larger neighbor, but isn't that the point of creating the Metropolitan Division back in 2000? Washtenaw County would easily be defined as a Metropolitan Division of the Detroit MSA. In the same sense, New Haven would be a Metropolitan Division of the New York MSA, Trenton would be a Metropolitan Division of the Philadelphia MSA, and so on...

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 2:18 AM

The idea is implausible. That would spike our crime through the roof and drain our health system! Detroit belongs to America and is Americas problem not ours. Detroit is improving, at least the metro. I wish our American friends the best but Buying Detroit is pure insanity and an impossibility.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 3:36 AM

So implausible, that the topic has been totally dormant for over a year as no one has anything relevant to say

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 6:45 PM

I'm sure the people of Windsor would not be happy.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:48 PM

no matter what country owns Detroit, it is still in the same place, same people, same economy, same corruption

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:09 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

No because if Canada buys Detroit, it would be separated if its surrounding and much of its trade would become more difficult. the economy of Detroit would suffer.
USA and Canada are not as integrated as the Schengen area for Europe.

Anyway we speak of something impossible.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:21 PM

yup it would suffer the same dying consequences, even worse because now the residents would be policed by Windsor law, which is way more stearn, this alone would surely force more people out. if this did happen Detroit would suffer 20-40. more years of corruption, i know it would.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 4:47 AM

At least Canada would have a fighting chance at bringing home the Stanley cup.

Kind of hard to fathom what the Mo-town sound would morph into...That is if there's still that sound..

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 4:34 PM

A question is to ask what would happen to the rap battles on 8-mile.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:54 PM

This would bother me if only because it would ruin the natural border (the river). Same reason the Northwest Angle and Point Roberts bug me.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:25 PM

wikipedia.com

this one bothers me. JK

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions