HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:28 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

You're going to take a trip to Denver!

This is an experiment I want to hold for our recent discussion in the local Denver thread. You're travelling to Denver for a week. From your knowledge of our fair city what would your itinerary look like?

EDIT: You're allowed to go to the mountains and Boulder. Let's just say you booked your hotel in Downtown Denver for the entire week. Do whatever you want from there.

I'm curious what non-Denver residents have to say!

Here's some photo inspiration while you think:

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Mar 11, 2014 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:40 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Denver's neighborhoods seem very amorphous to me. I know downtown very well, but where are the other interesting neighborhoods/commercial areas? South broadway seemed kind of hipsterish but very busy and trafficy. The residential areas around downtown were amazing architecturally, but mostly residential and without portland-style built up commercial strips. Is there somewhere I missed? Is Cherry Creek worth seeing?

Honestly, I would have a tough time naming anything besides the obvious (downtown and environs which are beautiful, including the parks around the river).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:42 AM

I gotta be brutally honest. Assuming I spent the whole week in Denver itself without going to the mountains or to visit Boulder, I don't know of a single thing that would be on my Denver Bucket List. Since it is supposed to be a nice city, I would try to explore various neighborhoods, go to the parks, check out the museums, and sample the food/nightlife. I could no doubt keep myself amused and would probably end up liking Denver very much. I think that I would have the same reaction if you asked this question about a number of US cities that don't have a very high profile or cultural attractions that usually make the everybody's top 10 or top 5 lists.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:48 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

You're allowed to go to the mountains and Boulder. Let's just say you booked your hotel in Downtown Denver for the entire week. Do whatever you want from there.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
You're allowed to go to the mountains and Boulder. Let's just say you booked your hotel in Downtown Denver for the entire week. Do whatever you want from there.
Good photos.. Denver is a fairly decent walking town since most things are within a 3 mile radius. I've lived here for 10 years and every weekend seems like there is a new bar/restaurant or cultural activity to experience. I have yet to be to Domo's Japanese restaurant and my gf wants to see the Caberet in the tower on 16th st. Maybe we'll do both this weekend.

Things like that are always available, but people forget or aren't aware.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:09 AM

I have no idea what there is to do in Denver. Smoke a spliff? Denver's kind of a blank canvas in my mind. I'd like to see visit though. However, it's not a city that I'd plan a vacation around

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:14 AM

I took a quick trip there once. Though it seems like a place that in which I would like to live, I can't say I was enthused about what there was to do there. I really enjoyed the more laid back culture, but by talking to some of the people, it seems like you can go all over the city, you wouldn't get many takeaways if any.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 AM
Never Dell

I'll mirror what others have said. Nice city, with a lot of good neighborhoods and some very good ones. And lacking bucket list items (well put Austlar1).

But I do recommend it for a couple days if you're an SSP type that likes to explore cities. Denver is doing a lot of things right, and it seems to be getting better every year.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I've never been there but I can tell you what I would do as it is a city I would love to visit. Love cities lol thats why I'm a member here.

Anyways, I would start off my day early, and try to get some local breakfast. And this goes for every meal; always trying new places. After breakfast I'd walk around downtown and explore. Looking at the architecture, people watch, observe things that I can compare/contrast to other cities in the U.S. that I have been too. Most likely, I'd want to rent a car for a couple of days if I'm going to be there for a week. I hate buses, don't mind subways, but bus's eh. While driving, I'd take several hours driving around the city, again exploring the neighborhoods as I love to drive and explore different areas of any city really. Even the ghettos believe it or not. I would end my night by enjoying some of that cannabis you guys recently made legal . Probably smoke $40 worth in a hookah to myself or maybe in a group. I'd try to find one.

The next couple of days, assuming the hotel has a pool, start off by exercising, eating, visit museum for day 2. End the night again by getting super stoned.

The next day I'd visit Boulder. Same thing as day 1; explore neighborhoods, and flavor the cuisine.

The last day I'd drive and explore the mountains as my major does include Geology and Chem so I'd probably explore some of the mountain formations; maybe consider moving there as its a great spot for geo major jobs and its better than Houston living wise . End the night with a nice steak, and find a group of laid back girls and guys, and smoke as much as I can while talking about politics and laughing.

Then the next day go back to Jersey, look at the crappy Newark airport and say FUCK, and wonder where my freedom went.

That does sound like an interesting trip btw that I just postulated. I think 4 days is enough time. IDK enough about the area to make it 7 days but for now this sounds like a good hypothetical trip.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:42 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

First, I'd rent a car and drive around the central city to get a feel for the place. I'd have looked up a few of the big tourist draws online, and I'd visit them or at least pass by for a look. I'd check out the inner neighborhoods as well, and perhaps drive by some parks or museums. I'd note which areas seemed most promising for a more fine-grained visit.

Next, I'd ditch the car and pick the areas I liked the best and I'd rent a bike to check them out in more detail. I'd eventually find restaurants and bars that I'd want to patronize. I imagine I could do that for a couple days.

Then, I'd check out the region--Boulder, high places with good vantages of the cityscape below, etc. That would take a day. And definitely the mountains--I'd spend at least a couple days and one night exploring the Rockies, even if I was also paying for a room downtown.

Last day there, I'd get high in one of the legal clubs and just goof off.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:52 AM

Yeah, I'd probably just go to the mountains. Maybe catch a Rockies game. I've always had a thing for the Air Force Academy. That's close no?

I've heard it's a nice enough city. A co-worker moved out there and was always raving about how walkable it was. But if I'm going out west I want to see mountains damn it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:05 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Well, fortunately, Shuttlesworth has a direct flight to Denver, so a great start!

After that... hmmm

Last time I was in Denver was when we were en route to Philmont, and we just happened upon Pete's Kitchen (dunno if that place is iconic to any Denver locals, but it kind of turned into our thing; basically the first place we hit up on our way back home), so that would be one of the first places I visited.

After that, I dunno. The short time I spend in Denver, I loved it.

Considering the week-long adventure I had in New York, I'd probably just lose myself in the city everyday. I don't like to have itineraries. I have a short list of things I MUST do when I visit a place (usually just a few things), but other than that I just try to "happen" upon things. For me in New York, the only thing I HAD to do was run the perimeter of Central Park or run the length of the Brooklyn Bridge a couple of times.

I think I'd come up with that one, or two, thing(s) but other than that I'd just do whatever.

I don't think you can truly appreciate a city if you make a list of things to see, only focusing on the objective of visiting those places.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
First, I'd rent a car and drive around the central city to get a feel for the place. I'd have looked up a few of the big tourist draws online, and I'd visit them or at least pass by for a look. I'd check out the inner neighborhoods as well, and perhaps drive by some parks or museums. I'd note which areas seemed most promising for a more fine-grained visit.

Next, I'd ditch the car and pick the areas I liked the best and I'd rent a bike to check them out in more detail. I'd eventually find restaurants and bars that I'd want to patronize. I imagine I could do that for a couple days.

Then, I'd check out the region--Boulder, high places with good vantages of the cityscape below, etc. That would take a day. And definitely the mountains--I'd spend at least a couple days and one night exploring the Rockies, even if I was also paying for a room downtown.

Last day there, I'd get high in one of the legal clubs and just goof off.
This! I mean exactly, fflint.

And I would look in advance to see if there was a good show to catch at Red Rocks. I've heard wonderful things about it for years.

http://www.redrocksonline.com/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:55 AM

Probably hang around LoDo a lot. Also check out 16 Street/CBD, the Capitol, Art Museum, Colfax Ave, City Park, Confluence Park, the Highlands area, maybe the Stapleton site. Probably day trips to Rocky Mountain National Park and Boulder, as well as the new urbanist neighbourhood in Longmont. Maybe Garden of the Gods too.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:06 PM
Transit Advocate

I'd pick up a print copy of the Onion. Find a breakfast place and walk the neighborhoods. I'd go check out the REI store and walk some more along the rivers. Really when one travels its about the whole package its not all about go! go! go! but being able to kick back, slow down and find those really nice hidden places that one only finds walking and exploring.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:43 PM

I've visited Denver many times over the past few decades--anywhere from 7 hours to 5 days. Here's a rough outline of what I'd like to do if I had a week there:

Day 1: I'd spend the day in downtown, wandering around looking at architecture, visit the Capitol and Civic Center plaza, Brown Palace Hotel, Larimar Sq, Union Station

Day 2: I'd rent a bike and bike along the Cherry Creek trail network and see if i could get to various neighborhoods (City Park, Washington Park, Cherry Creek). Maybe see a Rockies game at night.

Day 3: I'd drive north to Boulder, spend time on Pearl Street, and then drive up into the mountains via Boulder Creek Canyon. Stop somewhere for Beau Jo's Pizza

Day 4: More Mountains: I'd drive up towards Georgetown and Silver Plume and other towns around there. Probably stop at Red Rocks on the way back into the city.

Day 5: Drive down to Pike's Peak, Manitou Springs, USAF Academy

Day 6: Take the LRT out to Littleton or some interesting sounding place. Spend afternoon at art museum or explore more neighborhoods.

Day 7: Explore more of downtown or interesting neighborhoods, before leaving for home

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:51 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

What are the interesting commercial strips outside of downtown?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:24 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
What are the interesting commercial strips outside of downtown?
Are you talking about local retail areas or major commercial centers?

Some of the retail strips that come to mind that are located outside of DT are:

-38th & Tennyson in the Highlands
-15th & Boulder Street in the Lower Highlands
-32nd & Lowell in the Highlands
-Cherry Creek North
-South Pearl Street in Platte Park
-South Gaylord Street in Wash Park
-Old Wadsworth Blvd in Old Town Arvada
-Washington Ave in Golden
-Main Street in Downtown Littleton
-Pearl Street in Boulder
-The Hill in Boulder

The major commercial centers (that are regional shopping centers and not just a local shopping mall):

Park Meadows Mall
Flatirons Mall
Cherry Creek Mall

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 6:01 PM

a week eh? hmm, id ride the entire light rail system, walk around capitol hill, cheesman park neighborhood, go to illitch's, seek out tortas and burritos and dingy taquerias, maybe go to boulder for a day and see the mork and mindy house.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 6:04 PM

I was only Denver for two days recently. I felt like I needed two weeks to be satisfied. There's a lot to do, and it's a beautiful city. I'll be paying attention to this thread for my next visit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions