HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 10:20 AM

I think the article makes valid points that there needs to be high quality construction (the cheesegrater being the classic example) and there are concerns over ‘buy-to-leave’, but it is wholly inaccurate that there hasn’t been a lack of consultation. For a start many of these towers go through countless years of gestation and redesigns to comply with the London Plan and individual borough guidelines on high-rise towers and planning committees (including input from locals and other entities). Even then, some decisions will be challenged and forced into a judicial review before a tower can begin construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Such a backlash was inevitable. The same happened in Paris after they built lots of towers in the city in the 1970s with little regard for aesthetics. The two latest additions to the City of London's skyline in particular, the so-called "walkie-talkie" and "cheesegrater", with their grotesquely ugly shapes, must have negatively affected the image of towers among Londoners.
Looking at the Ipsos MORI poll raised in the article, more people are in favour of tall buildings than against, and 45% of respondents agreed that tall buildings improved London’s appearance, compared to 25% who thought otherwise. Regardless of your own personal tastes, the Leadenhall Building (cheesegrater) and 20 Fenchurch Street (the walkie talkie) came third and seventh respectively for high-rise buildings in London in the same poll. I suspect once the public park atop 20 Fenchurch Street is open it will be embraced even more.

Image sourced from Hilson Moran: http://www.hilsonmoran.com/Case-stud...ing-strategies

Coming back to an earlier point I made regarding 9 towers over 150m+ that are at various stages of demolition and construction (but not including towers on-hold), 2014 looks to be even more busy with recent news that work will start at another six sites by the end of the year.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 1:41 PM

The Guardian has a whole feature section about the debate over skyscrapers in London...

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/se...skyline-debate

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:18 AM
if I sang out of tune

These are the several clusters that are forming, out of the way of the 14 protected viewing corridors of the UNESCO sites. They are Canary Wharf, Stratford, City-Whitechapel, Southwark, Bankside, Elephant and Castle, Vauxhall and Croydon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants1254 View Post

Thought I would upload my latest 3d sketch up images of London that I have been working on for a while. As you can see Iv still got ALOT to do especially to the City and the surrounding area but for what are worth I thought I would share the progress I have made with them so far.

I'm still waiting to make a large number of updates to the Canary Wharf area with Heron Quay West, Millharbour Village, Quay House, Meridian Gate, Hertsmere Tower, Thames Quay and Millharbour Quarter. Cant wait to update them. Anyway enjoy.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:58 AM
if I sang out of tune

3 of the clusters pictured here:

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:29 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Robins View Post
The London eye may not be the prettiest of sites, but it is an extremely popular tourist attraction.
That may be so, but central London is turning into a theme park of sorts. Gawdy things like ferris wheels belong in Atlantic City not a serious metropolis like London. London shines when it steers clear of kitschy trendiness. What's next, a roller coaster?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That may be so, but central London is turning into a theme park of sorts. Gawdy things like ferris wheels belong in Atlantic City not a serious metropolis like London. London shines when it steers clear of kitschy trendiness. What's next, a roller coaster?
Thank you. That hideous thing is an abomination.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 9:32 AM

Well, I'm a huge fan of skyscrapers ... obviously or I wouldn't be here ... but I actually preferred London, like Paris, before the significant high rise development. London doesn't need it to look like a great city ... it's freaking London.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 5:30 AM

London and the World

Two different thoughts:

London is becoming more like it's Sister City, NYC, while preserving much of it's awesome heritage. NYC, meanwhile, due to it's unbelievably rich skyscraper heritage, is becoming more neo-classic, compared to the rising financial stars of Singapore, Dubai, Seoul, Shanghai, and even established players like Tokyo.

London, when dealing with the new Chinese money economy, has to have a modern face. The Chinese have been bulldozing 500 year old suburbs, and, are not impressed with Victorian and Georgian architecture, and demand the most modern amenities.

I do think, however, that as their construction blitz cools, many Chinese will realize what they have lost, much as New Yorkers did after Penn Station was destroyed. At that point, Paris, NYC, Chicago, Moscow, and, London will be admired by the nouveau rich for their having preserved much, while constantly adding contemporary architectural icons.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 3:49 PM

Well it's not the Chinese in London for the most part, it's the Russians and Arabs.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 4:05 PM

London may have her so called sister, it surely has her favorite rival too. Héhéhé. I hope this whole projected thing becomes real enough to kick some butts over here... It's quite incredibly huge.
I guess most of it is built, though, cause the British economy's showing some exciting signs indeed.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
London may have her so called sister, it surely has her favorite rival too. Héhéhé. I hope this whole projected thing becomes real enough to kick some butts over here... It's quite incredibly huge.
I guess most of it is built, though, cause the British economy's showing some exciting signs indeed.
Never count the Brits out. An Iranian friend of mine has said for years that the Brits are just taking a nap. He knew modern Iran history, and both respected, and, feared the UK.

I don't care how stupid they sometimes can act...

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I guess most of it is built, though, cause the London economy's showing some exciting signs indeed.
Fixed it for you. Really London and the home counties, or at most the south of England which benefits from London's wealth.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:17 PM

Continuing on from previous discussions regarding London property, someone from Eastern Europe spent £140mn (US$236mn) on an unfurnished penthouse at One Hyde Park (http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...t-9315808.html).

Once kitted out it is anticipated to have a valuation of up to £175mn (US$295mn).

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 11:23 AM
if I sang out of tune

back down to earth, yours for $303 a week in a shitty part of town (but near a Westfield!!!!)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-44093635.html

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 2:24 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
back down to earth, yours for $303 a week in a shitty part of town (but near a Westfield!!!!)

So...I guess you have to pee in the shower then?

(I wouldn't call Earlscourt a shitty part of town though)

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 10:36 AM
if I sang out of tune

Yeah, it's getting better. It's just a bit boring. I reckon the flat must be in one of those grand terraces, but still, the area is kind of missing a High Street.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post

No one should expect to be able to live on their own in a city like London or NY for $303/week. That's only $1300/month. I spent a little more than that on my share of a 3 bedroom with roommates in NY in 2005.

And Earls Court is fine as long as you're not right by the tube station or on Cromwell Rd.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:57 PM

That's why ideas like container and shed living has started to become popular in London, although that's experimentation.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
That's why ideas like container and shed living has started to become popular in London, although that's experimentation.
I wouldn't call either of these things "popular". I'm sure that in a huge city, there are people that do this, and then it makes for a nice article for a newspaper that's trying to do that day's article about the crazy real estate market.

If you're earning the median income and spending 30% of that on housing, that's $1,250 per month (or a little under $300 per week). Obviously it shouldn't be surprising that people earning the median income can't afford to live by themselves on a single salary in a fairly central part of London.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 8:52 PM
if I sang out of tune

this is the thing. Right until the mid noughties you could. The rich and poor were mixed since Victorian times, as swanky new developments were plonked in salubrious areas to increase their cachet (and asking price). By the 20th Century as the city fell on hard times, and the rich began moving to the suburbs, the rich mansion blocks began to subdivide up into more profitable bedsits. Former regency areas such as Notting Hill, Marylebone and Paddington became slums, housing multiple families in each mansion terrace house. 1/8 of the city fell derelict as the docks closed and industry died - if anything the classes began to divide. However by the 1990s things began looking up - the councils banned gated developments and made it prerequisite to have 30-50% of new developments, even upmarket ones, devoted to affordable housing. Meanwhile the creatives and hipsters began moving in, colonising tower blocks and mixing working and middle classes more. All throughout this time one could still get council housing and cheap rooms, and cheap business rents (read: cheap, hip nightlife) right in the centre - notably Soho, Clerkenwell, Farringdon, Victoria, Holborn, Islington, Hoxton that took on a buzz like no other (areas, some of which became the most expensive land in the world a decade later). This marked the boom years of the city as it took back it's limelight, and it's 'cool' (very similar to Berlin a decade later, whose Ossies abandoned their city centre homes to move West, and the city soon bankrupted also - drawing in artists, creatives, culture and nightlife from far and wide, due to its affordability and huge amount of emptied properties ripe for colonisation).

Fast forward to the late noughties, with prices rising across the board, and the new centre-right mayor abandoning the affordability clause in new housing. Now one has to trek out to zone 3 or 4 for any interesting nightlife - the once legendary crowds of 500,000 to 1 million every night of the week in the Soho-TCM triangle that made it the world's largest nightlife district now gone. And if you earn less than $45K a year you do that trek too to live. It's a popular saying that if you can afford to walk to work, have a dog, a garden or a car, youre living a millionaires lifestyle.

I'm sure this is in line with other major cities, but for London it's a sad break from a 200 year old tradition. There is no longer a single property anywhere in the entire city (suburbs included) that will sell for less than $170,000, even as a single room dormitory/ studio. The average house price is now $770,000 (though finally showing signs of cooling). In short not even the middle classes can afford to buy, only rent.

To show the scale of the bubble - average house prices have gone up by $170,000 in a decade, but the average wage by $11,000. One needs to earn $70,000 a year to buy, and to do it in a couple.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...y-experts.html

Last edited by muppet; May 10, 2014 at 12:04 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions