HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
During the day in downtown Toronto, the city has always felt dead to me and isn't even remotely as busy as downtown Vancouver.

You can blame that 100% on PATH and the thing that makes PATH even more urban unfriendly is that they are expanding it to Southcore.
That may be one of the more ridiculous things ever posted on SSP - considering Yonge & Dundas has an average daily pedestrian count of about 100,000 people. I realize you're trying to make a point but downtown Vancouver is not busier than either downtown Toronto or Montreal. Even in winter when both Toronto and Montreal's underground is jammed with people. What a bizarre thing to say.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:41 AM

Downtown Montréal is 18km² with 320,000+ jobs. 500,000 people travel to downtown Montreal every day. Toronto and Montréal = bustling downtown.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:10 AM

Anyone know the population densities of Downtown Toronto vs. Montreal vs. Vancouver vs. Calgary?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:12 AM

Downtown Vancouver is also 100 000 people. But quite small in area so quite dense.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:32 AM
gettin' rich!

Toronto is about 125k, but has a large daytime office population.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Anyone know the population densities of Downtown Toronto vs. Montreal vs. Vancouver vs. Calgary?
downtown Montréal, +- 18 000 jobs/km²

with the students living in the downtown core, maybe 5000+ ppkm².

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I was thinking more of a U or an O

But to each his own.
I can see a U, but not an O.

Of all subjects worth debating this ranks pretty low though.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Toronto is about 125k, but has a large daytime office population.
Downtown Toronto is actually closer to 175K (2011) with a density of about 13,500/sq km.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dkGwrkKq9c...o+downtown.jpg

By contrast, downtown Vancouver has a population of about 55K (2011) and a density of about 11,500/ sq km.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:25 PM

Why would one exclude the west end from downtown Vancouver but then include all of what you have for Toronto?

By Your logic downtown Vancouvers tallest building, The Shangri-la isnt even downtown??

You include roughly 13 square kilometers for Toronto but only 3.5 for Vancouver?

Let's at least try to make an honest comparison shall we?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:29 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton has a downtown population of ~13000 now 5701 people/sq km.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Um, no. Downtown Toronto is jammed with people most of the day and well into the night when the weather is nice. To say that it is not even remotely as busy as downtown Vancouver is one of the kookiest things I've ever read on this forum.
100% agreed! I seriously don't understand how someone can make that statement, DT Toronto is always jammed with pedestrians, especially all the major streets!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Downtown Toronto is actually closer to 175K (2011) with a density of about 13,500/sq km.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dkGwrkKq9c...o+downtown.jpg

By contrast, downtown Vancouver has a population of about 55K (2011) and a density of about 11,500/ sq km.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Vancouver
How do yo figure the Shangri-la wasn't included? It would be based on that map. But, regardless, if you include the West End, then the total population is about 100K. However, by that logic, Toronto should include West Queen West and Trinity Bellwoods because those neighbourhoods are as equally walkable to downtown Toronto as the West End is to downtown Vancouver. The entire peninsula should not be considered downtown, but I know that's how a lot of people see it because it's easily definable and contains the largest cluster of highrises in the city.

The reason that the size of the boundaries differ in my previous post is simply because downtown Toronto is larger.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:34 PM

Metro Toronto is ~twice the size of Vancouver, yet you have it's downtown nearly 4 times the area? How is that proportional?

And no shangri-La is on the south side of W.Georgia, which falls off that maps definition of downtown which specifies everything North of Georgia.

I've lived for a long time in both cities, and to say that the west end isn't downtown Vancouver but Bathurst and Harbord is downtown Toronto is just downright baffling.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:39 PM
ARTchitecture

I agree with Leftcoaster. Having lived in Van for two years and growing up near Toronto and attending college there, the West End is as much a part of downtown Vancouver as the Bathurst area is to downtown Toronto.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 7:02 PM
Aimless Wanderer

In addition to the 175K (as of 2011) people who live in downtown Toronto, there are at least a couple of hundred thousand more who work in all those offices, stores and restaurants - not to mention all the tourists. Downtown Toronto is commonly defined as from the lakefront to Bloor and from Parliament to Bathhurst.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 7:43 PM

Well knowing that the trump tower, the mnp tower, and the telus gardens are under construction, I tried to make a mockup of what the skyline will look like in Vancouver around 2018.

Sorry for the crude models and lack of detail.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...verskyline.jpg
Photo is from wikipedia and I used the models from Skyscraperpage.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:20 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Nice!
And you chose Vancouver's best skyline angle (IMO).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Metro Toronto is ~twice the size of Vancouver, yet you have it's downtown nearly 4 times the area? How is that proportional?

And no shangri-La is on the south side of W.Georgia, which falls off that maps definition of downtown which specifies everything North of Georgia.

I've lived for a long time in both cities, and to say that the west end isn't downtown Vancouver but Bathurst and Harbord is downtown Toronto is just downright baffling.
I don't agree with that logic at all. The west end may be very well integrated with downtown but that does not make it downtown. Since when are downtown's proportional to the equivalent proportional metro size comparisons? Toronto just happens to have a very large downtown relative to a lot of North American cities.

In any event, the point of my post originally was to refute ssiguy's wild claim that downtown Toronto is dead relative to downtown Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
I don't agree with that logic at all. The west end may be very well integrated with downtown but that does not make it downtown. Since when are downtown's proportional to the equivalent proportional metro size comparisons? Toronto just happens to have a very large downtown relative to a lot of North American cities.

In any event, the point of my post originally was to refute ssiguy's wild claim that downtown Toronto is dead relative to downtown Vancouver.
I live in Vancouver's west end. I can tell you right now that Locals as well as myself consider it to be very much downtown.

Tell me robson st, denman, and davie aren't downtown streets and I'll have to strangle you.

Nah but seriously, west end is part of Downtown Vancouver. Thats how I consider it and most locals consider it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I live in Vancouver's west end. I can tell you right now that Locals as well as myself consider it to be very much downtown.

Tell me robson st, denman, and davie aren't downtown streets and I'll have to strangle you.

Nah but seriously, west end is part of Downtown Vancouver. Thats how I consider it and most locals consider it.
Right, and some people in Toronto consider Little Italy to be "downtown". Guy Fieri called it downtown on Triple D. Doesn't actually make it downtown.

Also, in response to the Shangri-La not being on that downtown map, I disagree. As does Google Maps...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2813959,-123.1225951,15z

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada